• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rich Cocoa Powder

Shel_B

Also as far as i know most of the chocolates use alkalized cocoa mass....

Can you expand on this? I've never heard of alkalized cocoa mass. Interesting...

Cocoa mass is chrushed cocoa beans.. the crushing releases the cocoa butter in it. Cocoa powder is obtained by squeezing this cocoa mass and removing the cocoa butter. For chocolates they dont do that (not always), they only need to add more sugar, milk powder and a few other indgredients.

The cocoa mass is sterilized using steam at a particular pressure and temp usually 120 deg C, if the steam used here has a alkaline added to it, its alkalized cocoa mass from which alkalized cocoa powder is pressed.

I was fortunate enough to spend a month as a intern in a chocolate factory.

Dreamer, Writer, Food Technologist. Taking life on the rocks. A big gulp at a time.

• 10 months later...

I'd like to make some chocolate pudding for this coming weekend. The recipes I'll choose from suggest Dutch processed cocoa as an ingredient. It's been several years since I made any of these puddings, and am out of the loop WRT cocoa. Any suggestions for a good Dutch processed cocoa that won't break the bank? Thanks!

... Shel

I have several brands of cocoa, mostly Dutch process because to me it has a fuller, richer flavor and in my opinion produces a better result in baking.

I use a combination of King Arthur Black cocoa and Double Dutch cocoa in anything that I want to have the deepest, most robust chocolate flavor, such as puddings, ice cream, gelato, candy.

I think the cost is reasonable and the stuff keeps nicely, retaining full flavor for a long, long time.

For recipes that incorporate other flavors, I use a lighter, less overpowering cocoa such as Frontier (from Amazon) which combines well with espresso, marshmallow, etc.

Some of the "smoother" cocoas do better in hot drinks than the more robust types and I make my own blend.

Cocoa2.JPG

The one in the glass jar with the bail is Valrhona

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Whoa! Nice collection Andiesenji! It is good to be reminded about King Arthur as an option. I bought the Vahlrona cocoa once and thought it was so dark that it made my final dish taste burned -- I really didn't like it and ultimately threw it out!

• Like 2

Whoa! Nice collection Andiesenji! It is good to be reminded about King Arthur as an option. I bought the Vahlrona cocoa once and thought it was so dark that it made my final dish taste burned -- I really didn't like it and ultimately threw it out!

I hate Valrhona cocoa powder! I bought it once and couldn't even stand the smell - it was definitely an off-smell and taste. My favorite Dutched cocoa powder is El Rey, but unfortunately, they stopped producing it a year or two ago. I was so disappointed.

• Like 1
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I hate Valrhona cocoa powder! I bought it once and couldn't even stand the smell - it was definitely an off-smell and taste. My favorite Dutched cocoa powder is El Rey, but unfortunately, they stopped producing it a year or two ago. I was so disappointed.

I only use the Valrhona in dishes that are also flavored with other strong flavors. I've never noticed any "off" smell or flavor but it is strong.

I bought some cocoa at Williams-Sonoma several years ago which I immediately returned. It had a strong "ammonia" smell - reminded me of my neighbor's house when she hasn't cleaned the cat box... The clerk at W-S couldn't understand my complaint so I pulled the lid off the can and stuck it under her nose - I thought she was going to faint - She called the manager and after she smelled it, they pulled all the cans off the shelf and as I left, were opening them. I heard an emphatic, Oh God! as I went out the door. I don't remember the brand - it wasn't the store label.

I make a chile that calls for "bitter" chocolate and I sub in the Valrhona cocoa because with regular chocolate, even small amounts,

I get an allergic reaction which I have never had with anything made with cocoa.

My allergist really doubted it but he did a sensitivity test on my back, where I couldn't see, and he used 6 samples, 2 from regular chocolate, including unsweetened and 3 from Dutched cocoa and 1 from ground cocoa nibs. I reacted strongly to the 2 chocolates, mildly to the cocoa nibs and not at all to the Dutched cocoa.

I forgot to note that the cocoa in the container labeled: "TRIP COCOA" is a combination of 3 Guittard dutched cocoas. Cocoa "Rouge" - Full Dutched "Jersey" and Medium Dutched "Rio Cocoa" which was recommended by a baker friend for use in lighter cakes - like those I bake for making rolled cakes, sponge cakes leavened only with egg whites. Some cocoa powders cause the beaten whites to collapse, but this stuff needs less cocoa and combined well with the whites - the sugar has to be mixed into the cocoa first and 1/3 less of the cocoa is needed.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I made these brownies a few days ago - using a combination of the Double Dutch and the Black Cocoa -

black cocoa brownies.JPG

You can't get that deep, dark color with regular cocoa.

• Like 1

Andie -- thanks for letting me know -- I never realized that the Ghiradelli I use isn't dutched. I've had good success with it baking, but will have to expand my cocoa repertoire!

It wasn't me that posted the correction. It was merstar who was so helpful.