• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef, Sous Vide

TdeV

I am skipping the traditional CB dish this ST. P. day and waiting for the CB to go onsale this weekend for 99c/lb. The im going to soak in water for 24 hours with a few water changes and smoke and SV for pastrami on Rye with mustard sandwiches this weekend. I work late all week and dont have time to do the holiday dinner thing. Honestly, why is it even a damn holiday to begin with.

• Like 1

all the flat was gone.   I decided not to move on the Point.

never goes on further saie here.

Next year, Im going to Plan some Time

and to the Flat w Papain in the SV  and check every 4 hours or so.

a Bazillion Bags, then do my traditional WeberSmoke and then re-bag.

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

all the flat was gone.   I decided not to move on the Point.

never goes on further saie here.

Next year, Im going to Plan some Time

and to the Flat w Papain in the SV  and check every 4 hours or so.

a Bazillion Bags, then do my traditional WeberSmoke and then re-bag.

The point is my favorite. I turned down 2 inch thick flats @ 2.47/lb just a few days ago. Still waiting for them price drops. Hopefully points will be first to drop in price.

8 hours ago, FeChef said:

I turned down 2 inch thick flats @ 2.47/lb just a few days ago. Still waiting for them price drops. Hopefully points will be first to drop in price.

That's awesome that you see that price and can say "nah, I'll hold out for cheaper". I can't get the "meaty soup/dog bones" for that price where I live... much less any of the actual meat. I don't think I've ever even seen a brisket here that wasn't already corned.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

22 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Yes.

I corned a chuck roast following Ruhlman's recipe.  I plan on eating it Friday when it will have been brining for 7 days.  Would I SV this for 10 hours at 180F also?

Thank you.

Thanks.  I should have re-read this thread before I asked the question seeing as how I asked the same question last year.  I have now recorded it in my "sous vide" book so I won't need to ask again.

56eb51897ad97_cbdinner.thumb.JPG.1ad004c

I'm calling success, which is pretty sweet, after several years of failures. All I can point to that's different is my use of Prague powder, as opposed to Morton Tenderquick, and something I bought one one year that purported to be "pink salt," and while it was pink and salty, certainly was NOT curing salt.

Brined five days, per Ruhlman, a 24-hour soak in several changes of water, and SV 24 hours at 140. Tender, but still some chew; could have gone longer without hurting it. Not too salty. Good flavor. All I noticed was a couple of places in the very thickest part of the point to which the brine didn't penetrate -- no red coloration. I might go 7 days next time.

Used the liquid remaining in the SV bag to cook the potatoes and carrots. Cut thick slabs of cabbage, brushed with olive oil, and salted and peppered generously, popped those in the oven as well.

It was a quite excellent dinner. Although I'm a Scot, I'm happy to celebrate with my Celtic brothers and sisters across the Irish Sea.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 years later...

I was reading a post yesterday from someone who had googled a question, and discovered a several-year-old eGullet post where she had posted the same question. So it was for me as I was looking to find time/temp to sous vide corned beef, and found this post!

60 hours at 135F produced a corned beef that was moist and luscious. Easily cut with a fork. 😎

Edited to add that I did not brine the roast. It had been frozen though.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I was reading a post yesterday from someone who had googled a question, and discovered a several-year-old eGullet post where she had posted the same question. So it was for me as I was looking to find time/temp to sous vide corned beef, and found this post!

60 hours at 135F produced a corned beef that was moist and luscious. Easily cut with a fork. 😎

Edited to add that I did not brine the roast. It had been frozen though.

The eG archives are amazing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1