• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef, Sous Vide

TdeV

FeChef

BTW pretty fine slicing, I must say. Steady hand etc

:biggrin:

what do you do with the slices after?

gobble gobble?

I use an old Magna wonder knife to slice things i dont feel like getting out the meat slicer for. It works great and i only use it for shredding lettuce, tomatoes and tender cooked chilled meats. To answer your question, I make alot of NY deli style Ruebens and the CB also goes good with Haluski. (fried cabbage and buttered noodles). Sometimes i'll serve the CB with the traditional steamed cabbage,carrots, and potatoes.il_fullxfull.281006116.jpg

what spice did you add? Ive thought of that: I have mustard seeds I thought Id add ...

I use the same spices that are in the rub that I cure with... minus the salt and nitrate. The mix varies a bit and typically has allspice, cardamom, black peppercorns, onion powder, mustard seed and a clove or two. I use much less for the preSV rub than the curing rub...a light dusting.

I decided to give this a try. I bought a pre-brined flat cut and just gave it a good rinse. I cut it in half, applied the contents of the spice packet and put it in two bags. I put them both in a 145F bath. One I took out and chilled after 24 hours and the other I left in for about 12 hours more. The results were virtually identical. Any possible advantage I'd give to the longer cooked one is probably down to the fact that that end had a thicker layer of fat. The flavor was fine (not overly salty at all) but they were both a little bit on the dry-ish side. Both bags had about 1/2 cup or more of juice that came out.

I think both were better than the stuff I paid $$$ for at a local deli but could be improved. Next time I'll probably try 135F for 48-60H.

I soak overnight in cold water in the fridge. No change of water. (First rinse off the goo and trim.) Pat dry, put in SV bag. Add spice packet to bag, equal amounts on top and bottom and vacuum seal. 10 hours at 180F. Comes out great!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I decided to give this a try. I bought a pre-brined flat cut and just gave it a good rinse. I cut it in half, applied the contents of the spice packet and put it in two bags. I put them both in a 145F bath. One I took out and chilled after 24 hours and the other I left in for about 12 hours more. The results were virtually identical. Any possible advantage I'd give to the longer cooked one is probably down to the fact that that end had a thicker layer of fat. The flavor was fine (not overly salty at all) but they were both a little bit on the dry-ish side. Both bags had about 1/2 cup or more of juice that came out.

I think both were better than the stuff I paid $$$ for at a local deli but could be improved. Next time I'll probably try 135F for 48-60H.

That is strange that you thought yours was dry. Sometimes i think mine is too juicy and makes my sandwich soggy if i dont toast the bread enough. I wonder if cutting in half had anything to do with it. I always buy the thickest corned beef brisket i can find so they always fit in a gallon ziplock with no problem.

This is the results of my efforts. I corned a 5 pound whole short rib section using the Ruhlman recipe except for the addition of some smashed juniper berries to the brine. It was cured for 5 days. I then rinsed it thoroughly and sealed it in a vac bag and cooked it at 140F for 3 days. I then put the liquid out of the bag in with some water to boil the cabbage. I also roasted new potatoes and made a parsley cream sauce (basic béchamel with parsley added.) Please pardon the picture I am not a photographer.

photo (1).JPG

My favorite preparation of corned beef (storebought) is slow cooking at low temperature in an enclosed vessel, but elevated so it doesn't braise so much as steam. I soak for 24H in the fridge to desalt. I make a rub with the spice packet (toasted and ground), lots of pressed garlic, a big dollop of prepared mustard, and some paprika, then bake it at 200F overnight. In the morning it goes into the fridge, and it can be ready for dinner in 30 minutes in a 300F oven followed by a quick blast under the broiler.

Did an experiment with store bought corned beef.

Using the same batch of pre-made corned beef with all fat completely removed.

For corned beef:

1. Sous vided corned beef (48 hours at 140 F):

before, 29.98 oz,

sous vided 19.73 oz, 34.19 % shrinkage (10.25 oz lost)

1. Boiled corned beef :

before, 29.84 oz,

boiled, 14.42 oz, 51.68% shrinkage (15.42 oz lost)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sous vided corn beef, Very tender, pulled pork style, no need to against-grain thin cut.

dcarch

cornedbeefSV_zps4e4f292d.jpg

cornedbeefSV2_zps29d412d1.jpg

• Like 2

Dcarch, Your results sous vide sounds about right. I prefer something sliceable like 140F-145F for 24 hours. But just out of curiosity, what was the results for the boiled version besides the extra 5oz loss?

Dcarch, Your results sous vide sounds about right. I prefer something sliceable like 140F-145F for 24 hours. But just out of curiosity, what was the results for the boiled version besides the extra 5oz loss?

Pretty much typical boiled corned beef texture. Falling apart, but not tender. The fibers are very tough, not very edible unless thinly sliced against the grain.

dcarch

Pretty much typical boiled corned beef texture. Falling apart, but not tender. The fibers are very tough, not very edible unless thinly sliced against the grain.

dcarch

Yeah that was pretty much how all my corned beef used to turn out before i started cooking sous vide. I can not stress enough how well the store bought corned beef turns out at temps around 140-145F for just 24 hours. Honestly 48-72 hours is overkill. Even 145F for 30-36 hours will pull with very little effort and be juicy with very low loss in weight.

When using prepared corned beefs from the grocery store, are you soaking to remove some salt? If so how long?

I see a variation of salt content from 600 mg/ 4 oz to 1200 mg/ 4 oz and more

When using prepared corned beefs from the grocery store, are you soaking to remove some salt? If so how long?

I sometimes rinse under water a few times or soak in a bucket for 5 minutes, drain and rinse then pat dry and bag it along with the spice packet. Sous vide for 24 hour hours at 145F chill overnight and slice thin the next day. Comes out perfect every time. I do not check the label for sodium content, and im not afraid of alittle salt. You only live once.

I sometimes rinse under water a few times or soak in a bucket for 5 minutes, drain and rinse then pat dry and bag it along with the spice packet. Sous vide for 24 hour hours at 145F chill overnight and slice thin the next day. Comes out perfect every time. I do not check the label for sodium content, and im not afraid of alittle salt. You only live once.

Nor am I, but these products are made to be cooked in lots of water. I remember the first time I tried to braise one in the oven. It's was like a salt lick. When I smoke a corned beef unless I soak at least 24 hrs it still very salty and I like salt

I just checked the brand i used recently has 950mg/ 4oz. While not as low as the 600mg/ 4oz you mentioned, not as high as 1200mg/ 4oz. I could probably see why someone would think that is too salty. Also i think the time/temp could affect aswell. The lower the temp the lower the moisure loss. So I could see 24 hours @ 145F being less salty as 48 hours @135F.

How much jus depends on the size of the meat. A typical brisket gives at least a cup of salty jus. Depends on SV temp of course. Hotter = more meat contraction = more liquid expressed.

if its in a SV bag, where does the salt go? into the 'jus' as it is? how much 'jus' does 145 give you?

I always throw the "jus" away but if i had to guess i would agree with gfweb and say roughly a cup for a 2.5-3lb corned beef brisket. But also consider that i do not remove the fat cap untill im ready to slice so some of that "jus" is also broken down fat.

I did my first 'test-run' and found the following:

24 hr cold water soak with a couple of water changes worked fine for me to reduce the salt. I trimmed off all the external fat and cut the larger piece into two smaller with the grain pieces before the soak so that they would be individually bagged into smaller bags.

I ground some fresh pickling spice and after the 24 hr soak patted the pieces dry and dusted them with the fresh spice. the 24 hrs 145.

the meat was deliciously tender but I personally did not care for the P.S. addition. Ill try some granulated garlic and some Spanish smoked paprika next batch.

these were Point Cut at 1.99 / lbs sale. they had the brand 'O'Donnell on them or some such. they were unusual point-cut as they were a single large muscle 2.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs. not too much extra fat. I went back to the Stop and Shop to get a few more on St P's day and they only had one O'D's left. they subbed for the sale a different brand for the point cut: the usual trash Im used to seeing: two pieces of meat with a huge amount of fat around and between both pieces. Avoid this type of point cut at all costs: the smaller muscle is probably the pectoralis minor that connects to the leg bone and is very tough.

I have 6 more bags of the O'D's to work with and Ill try the same pre soak but 140 x 24 to see if it slices thinner and the meat stays together a little better. but 24 x 145 was very very delicious. get the seasoning right and you have very nice tender chunks for Corned Beef Hash in your Freezer!

My 2.5 lb pre trimmed piece did indeed at 145 give off about 1 1/2 cups of 'jus' Ive saved it for gravy to thicken up for veg or meat or to make a Corned Beef Dip.

many thanks for all your help!