• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Shel_B

Toaster Ovens

what you say about the toast is interesting.

regular thickness bread was dry and baked-like

and its true: not having the tray come out when you open the door is pretty annoying, believe it or not.

do your shelves slide out too far when you pull them and land on the counter?

I cut slices thin and thick, toasted them a fair amount and per the instructions. Never had dry and baked toast. Maybe it's the choice of bread. Shelf has never ended up on the counter. Can't imagine why yours does.

This thread is bound to cost me some money as I try and finalize all of my appliances in and out of the kitchen. I already have a Dualit 2 Slice toaster that I adore, and from what I have read, the Breville won't toast at that caliber...that being said, I am more interested in the non-toast options for the Breville -- It seems like everyone who bought the BOV800XL (the big boy) has been really happy with it. I have 2 questions -- how hot does this unit get (top and sides) and also, I already have a "smaller" oven on my range (small side oven on a Bluestar) -- is this going to be redundant, or do you think it will, in fact compliment that oven -- I use that oven for my main re-heating, but it takes a bit to come to temp.

I ask about the temp, because I am curious if it is possible to secure it inside of a cabinet -- sounds unlikely, I know.

• Like 1

no way: inside a cabinet

the sides and top get warm, not red hot.

my XL is under a cabinet but there is at least 10 1/2 " clearance

the XL will do one 13 x 9 tray of brownies if you use the aluminum 'toss away' pans which I re-use lining them w parchment paper.

if your smaller over does 2 trays of brownies of 'brownie equivalents' you wont need the BV

who can stand only one tray of 'brownies?'

FD: my gas oven is not working and needs an Amazon 14 $$ part the repair place wants 170 + to do this

I might do it myself in the spring.

• Like 1