• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toaster ovens

Andrew Fenton

In the FWIW department, I took home the small Breville today and set it up a few hours ago. I am very pleased with the size, and am looking forward to trying it out. Unfortunately, it'll be a few days, maybe a week, before I'll have a chance to fire it up. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

... Shel

I've considered buying one of the Breville Smart Ovens, and 20% off makes the purchase much more appealing, but all of the Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons that I have seen recently have specifically excluded Breville products from their 20% discount. Am I missing something?

I tried it online today, and it definitely doesn't work (the 20% off).

When you bought the toaster oven in person, rotuts, I don't think Breville was yet being excluded from the offer.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ive gotten, in the past, 20 % off items that were excluded ' on paper ' just by taking them to the register.

Ive assumed rightly or wrongly that the wording on paper was to placate the 'price control' gods that demand you not discount their products.

then they did.

but correct it might be that times change or some stores are run differently than others.

• Like 1

I tried it online today, and it definitely doesn't work (the 20% off).

When you bought the toaster oven in person, rotuts, I don't think Breville was yet being excluded from the offer.

The 20% off coupons are not for on-line purchases, as you discovered. I posted an email from BB&B about how those coupons work, and how you can, under certain circumstances, use them for on-line purchases, but their on-line use is quite limited.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145904-bed-bath-beyond-coupons/?hl=%2Bbed+%2Bbath+%2Bcoupons#entry1935781

As for Breville being excluded from the 20% coupon, we bought a Breville toaster oven on Saturday and got the 20% discount.

• Like 1

... Shel

The 20% off coupons are not for on-line purchases, as you discovered. I posted an email from BB&B about how those coupons work, and how you can, under certain circumstances, use them for on-line purchases, but their on-line use is quite limited.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145904-bed-bath-beyond-coupons/?hl=%2Bbed+%2Bbath+%2Bcoupons#entry1935781

As for Breville being excluded from the 20% coupon, we bought a Breville toaster oven on Saturday and got the 20% discount.

If you subscribe to their email newsletters you do receive "coupons" for 20% on-line discounts.

Shel, once you have used you new Breville let us know what you think of it.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

If you subscribe to their email newsletters you do receive "coupons" for 20% on-line discounts.

Shel, once you have used you new Breville let us know what you think of it.

I subscribe to their email newsletters and have yet to receive any coupon or offer for 20% on-line discounts.

I'll probably get around to using it for the first time tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll see if I can get creative, and do something more interesting than making toast ... at minimum I'll knock off some potatoes or try roasting some vegetables.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

We bought a low-end Oster convection oven earlier this year and did NOT like it for toast so our old toaster sits next to it. I absolutely love it for roast veggies, however.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Regarding the BB&B "on line" 20% off, I get them in my email inbox all the time. Don't know why I would and someone else wouldn't.

I'd suggest to anyone that wants them and isn't getting them that, assuming you're signed up for their newsletter, you should go to the "preferences" page and be sure you're signed up to receive promotional emails.

And, how about messaging? I just now got a text from BB&B offering 20% off one item, either in-store or online.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven Review, such as it is ...

Tuesday I purchased a standard-shaped loaf of very good quality (http://acmebread.com/bread/whole_wheat) whole wheat bread, and Wednesday morning I made three slices of toast in the Breville. I was minimally disappointed as the top of the bread was nice and crispy, just the way I like it, but the bottom seemed somewhat insipid and nowhere near as crispy. I’m not obsessive about my toast, so it was OK enough to eat and enjoy, but the next time I made toast I flipped the slices about half way through, and tried to get an even toast and crispness on each side. That helped a bit, and now my toast is nice and evenly toasted on both sides.

In addition, all the slices were charred at the top of the slice, where the knife entered the loaf at the crust. I don’t understand that.

Last night I baked three potatoes and the results were just about perfect. What impressed me was how quickly the oven preheated. I suspect that the Breville will save some electricity $$ over time, just on potatoes alone. I’ll know just how much after the Kill-A-Watt gets here, although it’s not much of an issue. My electric bill over the past three months has averaged about $5.00/month, so from a cost standpoint it’s not very important. However, I do like to conserve, and enjoy the challenge of reducing electric usage as much as possible. My best month was $4.56, and I’d love to get down to below $4.00 – just to see if it can be done.

The rack doesn’t slide out when the door is opened. I knew that was the case before we got the oven, but I didn’t realize that it would annoy me so even though the workaround is simple and easy.

Size wise, it’s just about perfect. The Breville’s footprint is small enough that it fits comfortably in several places in the kitchen, and I may choose to move it around a bit to see what works best for me. How nice to have options.

Well, that’s all for this review. Maybe there will be more comments when I’ve used it more, and for different things.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

what you say about the toast is interesting.

having used the mid-BV frist then moving up to the BV-XL id say these are Oven-Toasters

they are ovens first which in my case is a good thing

regular thickness bread was dry and baked-like

i solved this by cutting the slices extra thick which made a big difference

and its true: not having the tray come out when you open the door is pretty annoying, believe it or not.

trays only come out on the XL for some reason and do so with a magnet in the door.

and not on all shelf positions. which might make sense on the lower one which is used for baking.

do your shelves slide out too far when you pull them and land on the counter?

that's up next.

• Like 1

what you say about the toast is interesting.

regular thickness bread was dry and baked-like

and its true: not having the tray come out when you open the door is pretty annoying, believe it or not.

do your shelves slide out too far when you pull them and land on the counter?

I cut slices thin and thick, toasted them a fair amount and per the instructions. Never had dry and baked toast. Maybe it's the choice of bread. Shelf has never ended up on the counter. Can't imagine why yours does.

... Shel

This thread is bound to cost me some money as I try and finalize all of my appliances in and out of the kitchen. I already have a Dualit 2 Slice toaster that I adore, and from what I have read, the Breville won't toast at that caliber...that being said, I am more interested in the non-toast options for the Breville -- It seems like everyone who bought the BOV800XL (the big boy) has been really happy with it. I have 2 questions -- how hot does this unit get (top and sides) and also, I already have a "smaller" oven on my range (small side oven on a Bluestar) -- is this going to be redundant, or do you think it will, in fact compliment that oven -- I use that oven for my main re-heating, but it takes a bit to come to temp.

I ask about the temp, because I am curious if it is possible to secure it inside of a cabinet -- sounds unlikely, I know.

• Like 1

no way: inside a cabinet

the sides and top get warm, not red hot.

my XL is under a cabinet but there is at least 10 1/2 " clearance

the XL will do one 13 x 9 tray of brownies if you use the aluminum 'toss away' pans which I re-use lining them w parchment paper.

if your smaller over does 2 trays of brownies of 'brownie equivalents' you wont need the BV

who can stand only one tray of 'brownies?'

FD: my gas oven is not working and needs an Amazon 14 $$ part the repair place wants 170 + to do this

I might do it myself in the spring.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

For Christmas I will “ask” for a toaster oven. Price should be under $400. I do not want anything complicated; I am  not adding water to cleaning out an appliance regularly. (I am lazy). 

I have an air fryer and it’s fine but it’s also huge and in the past I’ve found toaster ovens to do the same job to an extent. 

Recommendations would be very helpful! 

On 11/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, palo said:

Any of the Breville line will do fine

p

Makes sense. I had one of their basic toaster ovens and liked it. 

Am I being ignorant for not considering a steam toaster oven, given I have an air fryer? I’m cooking for one. 

16 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Am I being ignorant for not considering a steam toaster oven, given I have an air fryer? I’m cooking for one. 

Given your price range, I’d say it’s worth considering but depends on what you want. The steam bake setting on my Cuisinart CSO is hands down the best way to reheat almost any sort of leftovers.  I think it’s a worthwhile feature to have, but you may not. 
My CSO and most steam toaster ovens in your price range are on the small side. The Breville ovens will accommodate a standard quarter sheet pan. The Cuisi CSO is a hair too small and has less headspace but it has that steam!  

• Thanks 1