• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toaster ovens

Andrew Fenton

. So we tossed it after a year or so, and got that Oster ..

DW and I bought the Oster a few months ago. As a counter-top convection oven we like it. HOWEVER, after less than a week we pulled out the toaster and put it back on the counter. Setting the time for toast on the Oster is very hard to do accurately and repeatably. We are fortunate to have just enough room for both.

IMAG0228.jpg

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Is it possible to braise vegetables in the small- and medium-sized Brevilles? I hadn't thought about it before, but it's fall, and Molly Stevens' book made it from the book shelf to the dining table ...

... Shel

Ive lined the pan that comes with the TO with parchment paper for an easier clean up and that seems to work fine.

It's good to have stainless steel interior. You can use "Easy Off" to dissolve toughest burnt on built-ups.

You cannot do that with aluminum interior.

dcarch

my new BV BigBoy says this in the manual:

"""""

NOTE:

Do not use abrasive cleansers,

metal scouring pads or metal

utensils on any of the interior or

exterior surfaces of the oven,

including the crumb tray.

utensils to clean any of the

1. The walls on the inside of the oven

feature a non-stick coating for easy

cleaning. To clean any spattering that

may occur while cooking, wipe the

walls with a soft, damp sponge.

A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild

spray solution may be used to avoid

build-up of stains. Apply the cleanser to

the sponge, not the oven surface, before

cleaning. Avoid touching the quartz

heating elements.

""""
if you use your TO for baking/roasting/broiling what has your experience been with clean up?
thanks
Edited by rotuts (log)

Totally possible. Since you usually cook for one or two, a lowish saucepan (with a lid) would be most versatile, but even a foil pouch on a cookie sheet will work.

Pouch + cookie sheet = Great Idea. Thanks!

• Like 1

... Shel

"----The walls on the inside of the oven feature a non-stick coating for easy cleaning.----"

I am a little superstitious.

A lot of the cooking in an electric oven is done by infrared radiation, therefore I like very shiny reflective surfaces. I think it gives better and more even cooking.

On a different note:

Some toaster ovens can get very hot on the top. Make sure your cabinet above is not too close.

dcarch

I have several Breville appliances and get periodic emails one arrived today so I went to the website as my juicer needs a new jug (I managed to break it - my own fault).

And then I went meandering through some other pages.

Check this page for "accessories" for the large oven - there is a wire rack for $12.99.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

my new BV BigBoy says this in the manual:

"""""

NOTE:

utensils on any of the interior or

exterior surfaces of the oven,

including the crumb tray.

utensils to clean any of the

1. The walls on the inside of the oven

feature a non-stick coating for easy

cleaning. To clean any spattering that

may occur while cooking, wipe the

walls with a soft, damp sponge.

A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild

spray solution may be used to avoid

build-up of stains. Apply the cleanser to

the sponge, not the oven surface, before

cleaning. Avoid touching the quartz

heating elements.

""""

if you use your TO for baking/roasting/broiling what has your experience been with clean up?

thanks

I have never done more than clean the crumb tray, the door window and wipe down the outside. Anything more is overkill IMHO. YMMV.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Problems with the Breville Ovens: I went down to the local BB&B and had a good look at the Breville ovens, then I went home and examined my counter space. It looks like I can handle even the biggest oven, and that's good news.

However, I've been reading lots of reviews about these ovens, and there seems to be a large number of people complaining about a short life span, with numerous people complaining that the ovens lasted less than two years. It seems the mid-size oven has had the most complaints, although I didn't count 'em.

In addition, there have been a number of reviewers complaining that the oven temps are way off - sometimes by as much as 100-degrees. Plus, many people have complained about poor customer service from Breville.

To an extent, these things don't bother me very much because, if I do have a problem with the oven I purchase, BB&B will stand by it. But what if Breville changes their models, or discontinues the model I've purchased? However, the idea that I'd be paying a premium price and still having to deal with a mediocre product annoys the hell out of me. It's a PITA to pack one of these puppies and drag it back to BB&B. I want to be happy with my oven ... I like good quality and things that work as they are supposed to.

So, who has had problems with their Breville ovens, and what problems did you have? Has anyone owned one of these things for a few years and not had any problems?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I am coming up to the 2-year mark with mine and have not experienced a single problem. I use it almost daily.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I am coming up to the 2-year mark with mine and have not experienced a single problem. I use it almost daily.

Which model do you have? What do you use the oven for? Thanks!

... Shel

I have the BOV800XL. I toast, roast vegetables, re-heat pizza, egg rolls, etc., broil, bake. I don't braise in it because it has a safety feature that shuts it off after 2 hours. I have baked bread both free-form and in loaf pans. Aside from braisind, the only other thing it won't do, because of its small size, is a high-heat/no heat beef roast.

My 2004 eG Blog

after i udgreaded to the BV-XL ive taken a few trips to BB&B to eye-ball various (smaller) pans and racks that would fit into the XL

I just use the BB's pans and take them one isle over into the XL.

Ive looked over the two smaller BV's and i think with those you are indeed paying a substantial premium for them compared to others sold at BB&B

I cant address the expected life-span of the XL, but Im enjoying mine quite a bit., unexpectedly so. it just fits a lot more pans and does a lot more than smaller TO's

it even fits where I thought it would not.

I may have to try one of these. My 16-year-old 1/2 size Cadco oven has stopped working. I phoned and got immediate connection to a live person.

I can take it to the authorized service place in Santa Monica - a long drive for me. Or I can see if a local place that works on convection ovens can fix it.

Or I can buy a new one but since I have the Sharp combination convection/microwave, which works just fine but limits the size of things I can cook in it.

I have a few smaller baking pans but the ones I use the most (up to now) are the half-size sheet pans.

Must think about this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If there is a BB&B near you, you might peak at the BV-XL

fits 1/4 sheet pan. with coupon $ 199,

it seems you are way past this stuff, with more interesting items.

but if at BB&B take a peek.

PS BB&B has Chicago Metallic sheet pans sets: 1/4, 1/3 1/2 ( perhaps ) sheet pans sets for 19.99 or with the 5 $ coupon:

$ 15. I love these pans and have 2 working sets and 2 on reserve just in case.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I have two of the Breville XL ovens. One at home and one at the cottage. The one at the cottage is going on 4 years, no problems. The one at the house is coming up two years and I use it quite a bit since I have only one oven here. No problems.

• Like 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We have the big one. We use it for toast; bagels, both fresh and frozen; Pop-Tarts (Ms. Alex); frozen pizzas (Amy's); baking (brownies, cobblers, cornbread, etc.); reheating frozen rolls; roasting vegetables; top-browning or quick cheese-melting; plate- and bowl-warming and occasionally broiling a flank steak. The temperature is pretty much accurate, although the baking time tends to be shorter than in our regular gas oven. It's 3-4 years old, used 5-7x a week, with nary a problem. $199 at BB&B is a good price. Pay with an AmEx card and you double the manufacturer's warranty. Just buy it already! :raz:

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have the bigger Breville oven. After about a year, the fan started to rattle. One call to customer service took care of the problem: they shipped me a new one at no cost; I sent the old one back, and it's been working beautifully ever since then. No complaints from me about temperature control, the way it toasts or bakes, or anything else. I'd have no hesitation to replace it with another one.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2