• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana burrata

ninagluck

Just to clarify, if I were doing it I would do the interior steps just as stated by iif, and freeze. Then I would make a separate exterior solution infusing banana in something like milk or whatever, add a little creme de banane, perhaps, and then bind that with the kappa and use for dipping. Two things seem wrong about their recipe. First, the original agar gel is too thick when reheated to be a good coating medium, and second, agar, because of its properties, does not set as quickly as kappa does, and therefore it isn't as good in setting around a frozen sphere. You have to keep the sphere in the solution longer, and then it gets even gloppier. It seems elegant to be able to use the original solution in three ways, but it really isn't the best way.

thanks sigma, i still have the banana thing in my fridge, as i hate to throw things. I will freeze again and try what you recommended. have you done it and how was the result? I just loved the idea and even thought about coating it after in dark chocolate...........