• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

Fantastic looking meals everyone

Great minds, Dave :smile:

Dinner was steak, done right on the coals

Flipped, then pulled off to rest while the sides get going

Some sides

Shrooms were too good, they didn't make it to the plate :laugh:

ribsteakdinner.jpg

Was a tasty dinner

Shane

Shane,

how did you get grill marks on the steak if you cooked it directly on the coals?

Edited by scamhi (log)

Been lurking for some time but enjoying my new Traeger Pellet Smoker. My wife gave it to me for an early birthday present about 4 weeks ago and so far we've made pulled pork, ribs, hot-smoked salmon, wood-fired pizza, whole roasted chicken (all of the preceding twice each except the salmon which we've made three times), roasted cut-up chicken, tri-tip, pork tenderloin, and now pastrami:

pastrami.jpg

(Sorry for the quick and dirty iPhone shot)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Caramelized minced pork – Onion, fish sauce, caramel sauce, sugar, and scallions. Would have been quick except I had to make a new batch of caramel sauce.

Tiger-skin peppers – Poblano, Fresno, and red bell peppers with Chinkiang vinegar. Simple and good.

Coconut rice – Younger son’s favorite

p1567530754-4.jpg

Bruce, those tiger skin peppers - what did you do? (here's one description from someone else which does not involve vinegar)

Ditto the "coconut rice" ?

Huiray, thanks for your question. Tiger-skin green peppers is a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe from Land of Plenty (fu pi qing jiao) – very similar recipe here (scroll to the end): http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/1794/your_chuancai_cupboard_vinegar_the_taste_of_jealousy

Coconut rice” is just steamed jasmine rice, replacing the water with half chicken stock and half coconut milk. I usually add a little salt and sugar, too.

Bruce, aha thanks.

Just curious - do you (or other folks here) read or follow anyone else other than that Englishwoman Fuchsia Dunlop when it comes to Chinese cookery? I just picked up two books off the top of my pile of my cookbooks and they are "The Hakka Cookbook" by Linda Lau Anusasananan; "A Tradition of Soup" by Teresa M. Chen... ;-) and they are written in ENGLISH, no less. :-D

IMG_0773_zpse951591a.jpg

Lamb shoulder. 24 hours/64C then hit w/ a dry rub (salt, pepper, herbs de prov, dried onion) and browned quickly in the oven. Apologies for the shitty iPhone photo: actually rocked out the SLR but it decided it wasn't in the mood for photography.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Holy wow Mark, that looks amazing.

Short rib?

Nope. I start with a packaged corned beef brisket - primarily because when they are on sale, and usually even when they're not, it's much cheaper than buying brisket. Not to mention that the curing has already been done which saves many days.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

jvalentino – Carnitas sound fantastic! I like the recipe, too: “Open the beer and take a big swig and then add the bottle to the pan.” :laugh:

Just curious - do you (or other folks here) read or follow anyone else other than that Englishwoman Fuchsia Dunlop when it comes to Chinese cookery?

huiray – I have other Chinese cookbooks, but cook almost exclusively from “that Englishwoman” for three reasons: the cookbooks cover Sichuan and Hunan (my favorites); the recipes are very well written; and the food has turned out wonderfully. Do you have other recommendations for Sichuan/Hunan cookbooks?

Fairway has been selling fava beans for the past couple of weeks. Normally you'll not see fava beans until late May/early June at USGM, so I scored some to satisfy my craving until then.

last night:

8694923799_3b1d5edc8b_z.jpg

It's quite simple -- fry pancetta, guanciale or bacon, then add minced shallots and shelled fava beans. Deglaze with white wine, taste for salt and pepper, stir in some chives. Eat.

next:

8694924081_0df00affc6_z.jpg

Pasta with spring greens (beet greens, Red Russian kale), anchovy and lemon

Fairway has been selling fava beans for the past couple of weeks. Normally you'll not see fava beans until late May/early June at USGM, so I scored some to satisfy my craving until then.

last night:

8694923799_3b1d5edc8b_z.jpg

It's quite simple -- fry pancetta, guanciale or bacon, then add minced shallots and shelled fava beans. Deglaze with white wine, taste for salt and pepper, stir in some chives. Eat.

Those colours are so splendid, SobaAddict; I envy you your photography talents, and your broad beans.

Just curious - do you (or other folks here) read or follow anyone else other than that Englishwoman Fuchsia Dunlop when it comes to Chinese cookery?

huiray – I have other Chinese cookbooks, but cook almost exclusively from “that Englishwoman” for three reasons: the cookbooks cover Sichuan and Hunan (my favorites); the recipes are very well written; and the food has turned out wonderfully. Do you have other recommendations for Sichuan/Hunan cookbooks?

OK.

No, I don't have any particular recommendations for other Sichuan/Hunan cookbooks, largely because I don't normally like or cook Sichuan/Szechuanese or Hunanese dishes. I prefer and largely cook Cantonese/Hakka and related cuisines, as you may have noticed if you look at the "Lunch" thread. When I cook spicy or fiery dishes I gravitate to SE Asian/Nyonya or Southern Indian dishes.

I continue to find it interesting that so many folk in the US (and perhaps elsewhere too) seem to prefer Szechuanese/Hunanese food. Heh.

...and yes, of course not all Szechuanese/Hunanese food is spicy or fiery. :-)

Edited by huiray (log)

I made:

Mushroom salad with parsley and white wine vinegar

Cucumber salad with mint and garlic

Cannelini bean puree with lemon juice and white onion (I used my home-made bay leaves)

Soda bread

=

Sandwich

Plus fruit salad with coconut yogurt

And I went mad with the camera.

003 (640x480).jpg

014 (640x480).jpg

006 (480x640).jpg

019 (480x640).jpg

022 (640x480).jpg

008 (480x640).jpg

024 (640x480).jpg

010 (640x480).jpg

plantes -- thanks. I like the fruit salad shot.

mm -- stunning as usual.

tonight:

leftovers mostly, but this was tonight's app:

8698032866_215b3c621a_z.jpg

Creamed mushroom bruschetta, with caramelized onions

Recipe, courtesy of Chef Chris Pandel, from Balena (Chicago): http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014695/Creamed-Mushroom-Bruschetta-With-Caramelized-Onions.html

even by scaling down Chef Pandel's recipe, it's quite rich. must've gained like 2-3 lbs. just from eating it. also, the version pictured above has some chantrelles as well (not as much though, as I had some scraps that needed to be used before they turned).

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

original.jpg

Two portions of beautiful line caught wild barramundi.

original.jpg

Panfried barramundi with mashed potato on a light ginger broth with autumn vegetables. The mash was piped on to the barramundi then finished in the oven. The chilli looking things are baby capsicum - I chose those colours because that's what the tree in my backyard looks like. It's autumn here in Australia.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Keith – Purty fish! I have never tried barramundi.

Plantes – You should go mad with the camera more often

huiray – I do enjoy Nyonya cooking.

Mexican tonight:

Pescado al mojo de ajo: Mahi mahi marinated with lime and pulverized garlic, dredged in flour (cayenne, pepper, salt), pan-fried, and then topped with a sauce of butter-fried garlic, parsley, and lime juice. Younger son made a fish taco with his.

Chayote al vapor: Chayote, minced chiles, salt, and cilantro, topped with feta cheese. One of my long-time favorites.

Platanos fritos: Still working through a Costco-sized box of plantains.

p1572276802-4.jpg

Bruce thanks for the tip on Tiger skin peppers. Bookmarked!

huiray I think the reason people love Fuchsia Dunlop is that she's a great food writer & researcher - her memoir about learning to cook in Sichuan Province in the '90s is fascinating, one of the best food books of the last 10 years. Hunanese and Sichuan cuisine are popular right now perhaps partly because of her, also because some very good restaurants presenting the food of these regions have opened up in major American cities and London recently, as I'm sure you're aware.

Personally, I love Cantonese cuisine and I wish I knew books as good as Dunlop's on the subject. Is the Teresa M. Chen book comparable? Not just a collection of good recipes, but an authoritative presentation of the cooking, the region, its history, and the foodways?

There are so few cookbooks in that league from any cuisine.

I do have the Grace Young cookbook on wok cookery, which is more oriented toward other regions of China and especially Guangzhou/Hong Kong, but it is (a) primarily a book on technique (and a very good one) and (b) somewhat hyphenated-American, not that that's a bad thing in itself of course.

My Taiwanese in-laws come from a country with incredible food, some say the best in China. But they almost never cook at home, and if they do, it's only braises. I've tried to convince them that it's possible to do decent wok cookery on a home stove - even if you're not going to achieve true wok hei - but it's like arguing with a wall. I sense that the restaurant and street food available 24 hours a day in Taipei is so incredible that they don't see the point of bothering.

Anyway, thread jack! Sorry to go off on a tangent here... this probably belongs in the Chinese eats thread anyway.

Patrickamory, nah - I (personally) would not consider what you posted as a thread jack. I'd like to think it's fine here. I also think one ought not to shove anything and everything "ethnic" into the "ethnic" threads. That's a kind of over-compartmentalization and even faintly discriminatory, no? :-)

I think the Theresa M. Chen book is nice - but note that it focuses on Cantonese SOUPS and does not go into the full panoply of the cuisine. It's not written as an extensive personal & historical memoir, though, in the way Dunlop did. There are sections about the author's journey (personal & foodwise) from the SF Bay Area [this book *is* written from the perspective of "looking back" at the "Old Country" from N. America], the journeys/biographies and recollections (and heretofore unwritten family recipes) of the old-timers and many others she sat down with and talked to, some stuff about the Pearl River Delta versus the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (with a few historical tid-bits), that sort of thing...then there are sections on Traditional Cantonese/Chinese soups and the principles behind them; lots of stuff about techniques, yes; more than 50 pages on ingredients w/ pictures and the Chinese characters for them (Chinese names for the soups and etc are also given throughout)...etc etc...plus three interesting forewords by Martin Yan, Doreen Leung and Esther Yip Chan. Oh, there are lots of recipes for soups too, of course. :-) Look it up on Amazon - you can see a fair bit of it using the "Look Inside!" feature. OK, any more than this I suppose would count as a threadjack - from the "Cookbooks" threads this time. :-)

Your Chicken Chettinad - looks tasty. :-) I presume that is powdered coriander and cumin I see? Plus other stuff? Plus powdered chilli or did you supply the heat with just the fresh chillies depicted? In Tamil Nadu if you had a bowl of this one might be at danger of losing the mucosal lining of your mouth (and throat) if not used to it... :-D I make a form of this too, with a personal simplified/ad hoc recipe rather than one from a cookbook and also dial down the Scoville units some! (I'm not a chilihead :-) )

Edited by huiray (log)