• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

Keith, thank you very much! Your explanation is really helpful. My knife is victorinox 8 inch chef's knife. I don't know if this type of chef's knife all have the same thickness. I will shop for some thinner knife, as you say.

Tina, it is difficult to communicate what I mean in words! What I meant was the WIDTH of the knife and not the actual thinness. I don't know if knives have x, y, and z dimensions but what I meant was a knife which was not too wide. Sorry for the confusion.
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

dcarch, thank you very much. I misunderstood what keith meant before. I think I now got it.

Keith, thanks. To make sure I understand this time, do you mean the width I draw below?

knife.jpg

Life is beautiful.

No Tina that's the length ... the width is the dimension which is not the length and not the thickness! Err, a cleaver is a "wide" knife, while a boning knife is a "thin" knife ... if that makes sense.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Keith, thank you very much! Your explanation is really helpful. My knife is victorinox 8 inch chef's knife. I don't know if this type of chef's knife all have the same thickness. I will shop for some thinner knife, as you say.

Moreover, I did oil the knife but it didn't work. I also wipe the wet knife but it didn't work either.

My pan is crazily sticky. I also don't have confidence in flipping. So I use two pans to do the flip.... Your solution is great! I will try it next time.

for something like rosti, you can also invert a plate on top of the rosti, then flip and slide the rosti onto the pan that way. less mess.

Tina, I think what Keith is trying to clarify is the dimension between the cutting edge and the spine (top edge).

BTW, do not get one of those Teflon coated knives either. Food sticking just the same.

I like the fact that food sticks to the blade. Check out how Martin Yang's cutting techniques take advantage of that.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Keith, this time I really understand. There is only one dimension left.... :biggrin:

SobaAddict70, it's a great method. I just saw it in cook's illustrated this morning.

dcarch, I am considering a Chinese chef's knife, which looks like a cleaver. Martin Yan's demonstration is really helpful. Thank you so much!

Edited by TinaYuan (log)

Life is beautiful.

Your lavash looks superb, patrickamory! I can't quite see from the picture what you're cooking it on; is that a big round flat skillet? Is it specially for making this bread?

I've really enjoyed learning about Persian food from your posts - you'd better not get sick of it and stop posting :wink:

The "Chicken and Egg" recipe from Momofuku cookbook. This was some of the best chicken I've ever made. The recipe has you brine chicken legs in a sweet brine, then cold smoke (mesquite) them. I strayed from the recipe a little by using SV for the following confit process (170 F for 8 hours in pork fat). This recipe serves the chicken with a slow-cooked egg (143 F for 45 minutes), quick-pickled cucumbers, and short grain rice. I added some tare sauce I had laying around as well.

tumblr_mlwh1cf03x1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Finally make Prawncracker's miso sesame sauce today! Really delicious, sweet and nutty. Cannot wait for meat tomorrow. So I use some leftover sourdough to make a veggie pizza, using that miso sauce. How can I say that.... I planned to add some cilantro on top. But I cannot wait after it came out from the oven....

mspeg.jpg

I feel so guilty to eat the whole one for dinner......

Life is beautiful.

Finally make Prawncracker's miso sesame sauce today! Really delicious, sweet and nutty. Cannot wait for meat tomorrow. So I use some leftover sourdough to make a veggie pizza, using that miso sauce. How can I say that.... I planned to add some cilantro on top. But I cannot wait after it came out from the oven....

attachicon.gifmspeg.jpg

I feel so guilty to eat the whole one for dinner......

You don't want to waste that kind of stuff on other people :biggrin: That sourdough looks great!

Suckling pig from Four Story Hill Farm.

ZNgZjvtl.jpg

For this, the rack and saddle are used. The saddle is split and roasted on the bone.

aRsfYY5l.jpg

Ravioli are made with Brin d'Amour. The cheese is mixed with its herbs to make a smooth paste.

T82BqV9l.jpg

It is then piped onto shortcrust dough, and folded like regular ravioli.

GPkr8Ekl.jpg

tMRamBKl.jpg

These are fried quickly in olive oil and then glazed in a mixture of honey vinegar, honey and olive oil, all from Corsica.

uPulA2pl.jpg

Spinach from my garden

45sNXv6l.jpg

Cooked simply in butter with a clove of garlic. This is then drained and pressed into round molds.

mFvMltRl.jpg

The spinach is garnished with carrots and celery root which are also cooked in butter

TA35fxpl.jpg

A pork jus is made from the scraps, browned in oil first, then butter, shallots, garlic and chicken stock. The fat is clarified then added back in. The consistency should just coat a spoon.

tnaXMAKl.jpg

The rack and saddle are browned on the stovetop, then finished in the oven and allowed to rest for at least 10 minutes.

gCzHSQHl.jpg

GEDC3933_zpsa229f15f.jpg

Charcoal grilled Wing steak, baked potato butter and chives and tomato dressed with s&p kalamata olive oil and chives.. first from the garden this spring YUM

GEDC3934_zps3d083af5.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Plantes Vertes, thank you! Addicted to that sauce now, use it for everything~

mm84321, the first picture scared me when I bed read this post last night....As usual, your dish is like a art masterpiece!

Life is beautiful.

Very nice to see this portrayal of the progression of your dish, mm84321. You ought to do this sort of pictorial description more often. Lovely final result as always.

Thanks. I will try to do the same for future posts.

mm84321, the first picture scared me when I bed read this post last night....As usual, your dish is like a art masterpiece!

It is perhaps not the most flattering angle. Thanks, though!

Dinner from Marcella’s Italian Kitchen

Fricaseed chicken with vinegar – with rosemary, garlic, anchovies, and S&P. Very popular.

Gratineed asparagus and Swiss chard – (Swiss chard stems) parboiled and then baked/broiled with parmesan cheese and butter. Elder son’s friend loves cheese and steers clear of vegetables, but this won him over.

Sauteed Swiss chard with garlic – parboiled the Swiss chard leaves and then sautéed in olive oil. Hate to see perfectly good greens go to waste.

p1564776124-4.jpg

Fantastic looking meals everyone

Great minds, Dave :smile:

Dinner was steak, done right on the coals

ribsteak.jpg

Flipped, then pulled off to rest while the sides get going

smokin-1.jpg

Some sides

sides-5.jpg

Shrooms were too good, they didn't make it to the plate :laugh:

ribsteakdinner.jpg

Was a tasty dinner