• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

Awesome stuff people.

Here's a dish I put together (inspired by the Modernist Cuisine's Pea vine salad): Crispy goat cheese, glazed green pea salad, cinnamon pea jus, pickled lemon, cured radishes, lemon puree, and ginger foam.

The crispy goat cheese was made by incorporating some Wondra flour, lemon juice, and salt with some chevre. It was then dehydrated at 115 F for about 25 minutes and pan fried.

The cinnamon pea jus was made by blending fresh peas with cinnamon infused water. This was strained, and then added to a mint-infused chicken jus (the jus was light on the chicken, with an emphasis on the veggies to make for a lighter flavor).

tumblr_mkphe67g1i1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Bruce – that ga ro ti sounds and looks great. I went searching for a recipe and hope to try it soon. The quiche is also calling my name!

Ann – thank you! Your halibut meals always make me hungry. I saw that Whole Foods had some last time I was there and I think that I’ll be buying some soon. Glad to see you posting!

Soba – everything is lovely, but that bread pudding and apple dish is stupendous! And I would give a LOT to know that I was having those poached shrimp for dinner tonight.

dcarch – thank you! Gorgeous prime rib. I’ll take mine rare, please! Are those potato cakes on the plate with the meat? Questions – did you cook a baking dish of them and then cut out the circles? They look so crisp! Did you sauté the circles separately?

Steve – I love fattoush and yours looks perfect. And that po’boy has me drooling. I wanna go back to NOLA!!!

Easter dinner was a group effort this year. I did the pre-meal snacks – Rachel’s ‘Paminna’ Cheese, assorted relishes, cream cheese & pepper jelly and gougères:

med_gallery_3331_326_86214.jpg

med_gallery_3331_326_111356.jpg

med_gallery_3331_326_51166.jpg

med_gallery_3331_326_110140.jpg

Mr. Kim smoked the lamb and ham:

med_gallery_3331_326_122986.jpg

med_gallery_3331_326_130312.jpg

med_gallery_3331_326_130913.jpg

I didn’t get a good picture of the lamb sliced. In order to serve it hot, and for him to be able to go to church Easter morning, he smoked and sliced it on Saturday. I gently reheated it with some lamb stock on Sunday in a slow cooker. It still tasted incredible, but lost its lovely pinkness!

My mother made the mint sauce (according to my English Aunt’s recipe) and I made the gravy for the lamb a couple of weeks ago with some neck bones I found at Whole Foods. I am really thrilled with this whole ‘make the gravy ahead of time’ thing I’ve developed. I love not having to devote the time to it last minute and I think that the gravy is actually better. Making it ahead of time, you have the luxury of letting it simmer for a long time and allowing the flavors to really come together and intensify.

My MIL did her fabulous devilled eggs:

med_gallery_3331_326_140660.jpg

Always Jessica’s first request for Easter.

Our honorary nephew did a wonderful creamy fruit salad with berries and oranges and grapes:

med_gallery_3331_326_106278.jpg

His mom, Lisa, did green beans (no picture) and her delicious mac and cheese:

med_gallery_3331_326_125553.jpg

I did a broccoli and cauliflower au gratin:

med_gallery_3331_326_146378.jpg

It ended up being mostly cauliflower – in the future, I need to remember that, with broccoli, when you trim off the stem you end up with about HALF the weight you started with!

A green salad with my dad’s paprika dressing, Marlene’s bleu cheese and croutons:

med_gallery_3331_326_71383.jpg

Sour cream potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_326_8931.jpg

And Michael Ruhlman’s buttermilk rolls:

med_gallery_3331_326_140562.jpg

God, these were good. I baked them on Tuesday and froze them. You would never have known it. They were delicious and the perfect texture. I made them about half the size called for - it made twice as many and they were a good size for the meal.

My friend, Lisa and I provided the desserts. She made her incomparable pound cake with all kinds of berry toppings. Also huge strawberries with chocolate to dip them in. By the end of the meal I was beat, so I missed getting pictures.

I did a cake and almond-stuffed coconut dates:

med_gallery_3331_326_151490.jpg

med_gallery_3331_326_109371.jpg

The cake was Coca-Cola cake with coconut extract instead of vanilla and a new recipe for IMBC that called for meringue powder instead of egg whites. It worked beautifully and everyone loved it. The filling is some coconut curd that I found in the store:

med_gallery_3331_326_29069.jpg

The dates were done with something that I’d never heard of before – coconut powder. It was very fine and dry and perfect for the task. We found it at the new Indian grocery near us.

Tuesday night was Easter leftovers for dinner. Salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_7080.jpg

Hot lamb sandwiches:

med_gallery_3331_114_36823.jpg

My favorite way to serve leftover meat and gravy!

“Veg” plate :blush: :

med_gallery_3331_114_120821.jpg

Mac and cheese, devilled eggs, broccoli & cauliflower au gratin and sour cream potatoes.

Last night was more Easter leftovers:

med_gallery_3331_114_48569.jpg

Rolls, fruit salad, mac & cheese and ham.

keith -- that chicken ... oh myyyyy ....

fp -- i'm afraid we're still in the grip of winter here (was 34 F this morning)

patrick -- nice lamb soup

steve -- i do love a good po'boy

baselerd -- i might steal that concept for the future

kim -- thanks for the kind words. i love deviled eggs.

tonight:

8620264725_6bf727cbc4_z.jpg

spring lettuce salad, dijon vinaigrette

it doesn't look like much, but trust me, a lightly dressed, well-made green salad is a thing of beauty.

as for the vinaigrette, i like these proportions:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper, to taste

minced shallots and herbs, optional.

it's a classic for a reason.

next:

8620264577_082d49d120_z.jpg

chicken with olives and pine nuts

recipe: http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/896

8620264427_553945581b_z.jpg

chicken with olives and pine nuts; broccoli rabe, with garlic and lemon; steamed rice

broccoli rabe: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Cime-di-Rapa-Fritte -- i reduced the amount of garlic called for by 75%, and added in the juice of 1/2 lemon before service. more garlic is not necessarily better.

btw, the chicken was Murray's (first time for me), and while it compares favorably to USGM-sourced chicken, i prefer birds from Quattro's. maybe it is because i am spoiled or set in my ways. however, if i can't get to USGM, then this will be my #2.

Simple fried chicken for the little one last night. Soaked for a day in seasoned milk. I like to fry my chicken at 325 to 330. I kick the oil up to 355 when i place the room temp chicken in. But, then bring it down to 325. Exactly 12 minutes and it's perfect.

From the milk, i dip it in seasoned flour. Salt, a lot of black pepper, then white pepper, a little mustard powder, a little cumin, cayenne, paprika.

Press it hard into the flour

8619824719_e6c6a69342.jpg

So easy, with such great results.

8620926578_96992022e0_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

mm84321 - thank you!

Frogprincesse - beautiful looking cavatelli, and home-made to boot. Must have been quite an effort!

Steve Irby - I would kill for those rolls!

patrickarmory - that Ottolenghi book is on my wishlist. You make it look desirable.

Baselerd - stunning dish and stunning photography!

Kim Shook - great looking dinner. Those buttermilk rolls look the business.

Anyway this was dinner tonight - John Dory with watercress puree, peas, and clams. John Dory was sous-vide'd at 47C for 35 minutes. The clams were steamed with white wine, shallots, and garlic - with the leftover jus incorporated in the watercress puree.

original.jpg

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Frogprincesse - beautiful looking cavatelli, and home-made to boot. Must have been quite an effort!

Thanks Keith. Actually cavatelli may be the easiest pasta to make. You just need a little cavatelli machine (see details here in the Fresh Pasta thread). You can make a large batch and they freeze extremely well. I was introduced to his technique by a local chef, Ryan Johnston.

I am salivating over your John Dory (Saint Pierre as it is known in France). I love this fish. I have a rule that I must order it when I see it on a restaurant menu.

Dinner last night was inspired by a couple of beautiful local halibut fillets, plus the Meyer lemons and green garlic I got in my CSA.

Halibut with Meyer lemon salsa and green garlic champ (recipes from Suzanne Goin - see the Lucques thread for more details about the halibut)

8620325861_0edf983d97_z.jpg

The night before we had leftover lamb shanks (another Suzanne Goin recipe - see here) and I made the green garlic champ that night. Served with lamb jus and tapenade.

8617568969_3d2a396a64_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Fantastic meals everyone!

Kim - that is an INSANE Easter spread. Leftovers for days??

Soba - the salad looks gorgeous actually. It's the time of year when I start longing for food like that

basquecook - I've bookmarked your fried chicken post. Do you totally submerge? Do you turn it? And do you cover it a la Laurie Colwin?

Keith, buy the Ottolenghi, you won't regret it! It's a beautifully produced book too, stunning photos not just of food but of the city, the markets and the people. And... the John Dory on peas looks lovely

Baselerd, love the halibut and Meyer lemon. So we can still get Meyer lemons? I need to make a new batch of preserved lemons before they go out of season... storebought just doesn't compare.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and responses!

Soba – lovely salad! And I agree completely. I love all sorts of wild and complicated salads, but the sine qua non of salads is just what yours is – simple and lightly dressed (I would add not icy cold, but that might just be me).

basquecook – I love your fried chicken leg and wish I had a couple in front of me right now! They look perfect.

Keith – what an utterly beautiful dish (I mean the food, though you know how I feel about those glass pieces :wub: !).

Elise – your halibut looks so lovely. I am determined to finally make some this season and that preparation sounds heavenly. I have some lamb shanks braising on my stove right now and I’m really in the mood for them after seeing yours!

Patrick – yes, lots and LOTS of leftovers. We sent tons home with our guests, but I still am going to have to stock the freezer with some sliced ham (smoked ham freezes REALLY well).

mm – oh, my. That chocolate and hazelnut sweetie sounds and looks so amazing.

Dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_22000.jpg

My mother brought us some beef stew. Served with Michael’s rolls.

Thanks, Kim.

Dinner last night:

Started with marinated shrimp in ginger, scallion, garlic sauce. Cooked in sesame oil, then added butter, soy sauce, shaoxing cooking wine, more scallions.

Pre-cooked. They were big shrimp.

8626412221_6353351e26_z.jpg

Then we made a smoked trout salad. Dressing was a red wine dijon. Poached egg and rye toasts

8627517146_8f08cbb66e_z.jpg

Homemade pasta with bay scallops, peas,guanciale with lots of tarragon tossed in.

8627529504_34a4c8b457.jpg

Pasta was 12 egg yolks.

8627513980_05bb97b312.jpg

Plated:

8626403273_c2e7b22d70.jpg

Duck breast with roasted brussel sprouts tossed in sriracha honey. With a simple Anson Mill polenta.

8626403413_a2d6fe67f6.jpg

Fun time last night. Miss A and I arrived home at 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon, did a shop and had dinner ready by 630.

I like this photo our prep station

8627526122_826202ac9a.jpg

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Fantastic meals everyone!

Kim - that is an INSANE Easter spread. Leftovers for days??

Soba - the salad looks gorgeous actually. It's the time of year when I start longing for food like that

basquecook - I've bookmarked your fried chicken post. Do you totally submerge? Do you turn it? And do you cover it a la Laurie Colwin?

Thank you Patrick. I have a deep fryer built into my counter top. So, when i am home and it's just a few pieces, I just toss the chicken into the deep fryer. It has an electric temperature gauge but, the heating element comes from the bottom so, if left unturned it would burn one side. That is also why I kick up the temp to 355, so the element doesn't have to do too much work once the chicken is thrown in. I turn every three minutes or so. It would most likely be easier using a large enamel cast iron pan because it would be more even heating. You wouldn't have to turn the pieces or be so concerned. But, then you would have a large steaming pot of hot oil to deal with while, I just put the cover back on and let it cool.

Frogprincesse: that halibut looks good enough for Jehovah! (Not blasphemy)

mm84321: no truffles? Again!?!?!? Looks gorgeous all the same. FWIW I went to my cookware shop trying to buy the same plates that you have. No luck!

Kim Shook: thank you! I know you like those glass pieces, but most of my friends seem to prefer the simple white plates, which cost 1/2 of what those Nachtmann glass pieces cost me. So - dinner tonight was plated on a simple white plate :( BTW amazing spread you put out there.

Dinner tonight: crown roast of lamb. It was slow roasted in the oven with a rub made from coriander seed and garlic powder. I think it is a bit dangerous posting this with all the professional chefs on this board, with my amateurish tourne carrots and fluted mushrooms. It was served with a lamb red wine jus (not pictured):

original.jpg

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the halibut & Meyer lemon salsa.

Baselerd, love the halibut and Meyer lemon. So we can still get Meyer lemons? I need to make a new batch of preserved lemons before they go out of season... storebought just doesn't compare.

I think that one was my dish (if not sorry for jumping in). Not sure where you are located, but I they are still in season in San Diego.