• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

original.jpg

Argentinian inspired rockling - panfried rockling with chimichurri, roasted baby capsicum, potato rosti, and broccollini. The messy plating is what happens when you buy a delicious wine to go with dinner, and can't help but take a few swigs of the wine when still cooking dinner. So sorry, it should look nicer but by this time I was drunk and hungry and couldn't really be bothered with plating or photography! (dcarch - plate was elevated to try to get more of a dramatic shadow).

I wish I could plate like that whilst sloshed! Lovely looking dish, not too over composed.

It looks like i haven't posted dinner for a over a month now so here's a catch up, please bear with me! I smoked some beef cheek pastrami recently and been experimenting with it. First up was a kimchi reuben:

20130330c.JPG

The kimchi completely chnaged the nature of my favourite sandwich. It was delicious in it's own right but not as good as the standard Reuben. Then with some more beef cheek pastrami inspired by Mission Chinese i Gong Bo'ed it (aka Kung Pow). Though mine is the more traditional version in Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan book (and cashews instead of peanuts):

20130412.JPG

Duck leg confit with a black garlic salsa verde:

20130324b.JPG

Smoked chicken and fixings:

20130406.JPG

It's grilling season, one of my favourite things to grill are quails. These were smothered in a homemade Thai red curry paste and served over a green mango salad:

20130410.JPG

And today, grilled pork chop of course (i like pork you might have heard!). With a toasted sesame miso dipping sauce, nasu dengaku and kimchi:

20130420b.JPG

I'm curious why you would feel that the plating is so important, whether you are drunk or not, over how the food tastes.

Because - I get to eat the food but you get to look at the photos :) I assure you the food tastes great!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Another Smoking/Grilling Saturday afternoon.

8665669661_6fa3d32f81_o.jpg

Creative dish was the "Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken and Pork Thunder Thigh Balls" which were made for the BBQPad Chicken Thigh Cook-Off. This was 2/3 of boneless skinless chicken thighs to 1/3 pork sausage, processed in the KitchenAid with garlic, habanero pepper, scallion, cilantro added along with a supermarket brand "Pork butt rub" seasoning. Wrapped in Bacon and then glazed with mixture of Dark Superior Soy, Pineapple Juice, Honey and a home-made fermented ghost pepper and fresh coconut water hot sauce. These were smoked for 1 hour at 225 degrees.

8665667825_a649a345f3.jpg

Here's a cross-section of one of the meatballs, one that was not wrapped in bacon because it was made with leftover meat. You can see the herbs inside. Texture of these meatballs were fantastic.

8666911806_ed164f9e47_o.jpg

Tenderloin of Pork, smoked for 2':30" until internal temperature hit around 140. Same seasoning mixture as meatballs used for rub and same glaze.

8667049084_3b5b0a4cf1_o.jpg

Cap of Filet Mignon, grilled at high temperature with Oak Wood chips added for smoke. Montreal Steak Rub. Cooked until internal temperature of 120, left to rest for about 30 minutes. We made steak hoagies with these with a horseradish sauce and topped it with heirloom cherry tomatoes from our hydroponic garden.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

8650517702_34c0f9b78f_o.jpg

Last Sunday's Dinner. Mojo boneless grilled chicken thighs, with roasted red peppers, Rice and Beans, and roasted zucchini topped with parmigiano-reggiano and heirloom cherry tomatoes.

8650492744_b8dfee745c_o.jpg

A closeup of the zucchini dish. Yes the tomatoes are that color, they are naturally greenish-yellow when ripe.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bruce, nasu dengaku? Is that eggplant, and how is it cooked? Please...

Miso-glazed eggplant, according to the internet. You'll have to ask Prawncrackers how he cooked it (although I will not complain about being given completely unwarranted credit for the fantastic food that he makes . . .) :smile:

Killer meals, Jason, thanks for sharing

Edit: No pics of Mrs. C's dinner but it was a good one. Pork ribs and grilled lettuce (topped with bacon) from the Big Green Egg, plus curried sweet potatoes (previously cooked on the Egg). She also grilled eggplant to make babaganouj tomorrow, and then put a pork butt on the Egg to cook overnight. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's dinner . . .

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Bruce, nasu dengaku? Is that eggplant, and how is it cooked? Please...

Miso-glazed eggplant, according to the internet. You'll have to ask Prawncrackers how he cooked it (although I will not complain about being given completely unwarranted credit for the fantastic food that he makes . . .) :smile:.
Yup I have take responsibility for that dish! Here's a closeup

image.jpg

I normally slice the aubergine lengthways but this time I tried it horizontally because I had fat western aubergines. First take peeler and peel several lengthways strips off. This is so that they are easier to eat with chopsticks. Cut them horizontally then make a cross hatch pattern on the cut surfaces. Brush them all over with oil and roast in a hot oven for about 30 mins or until they are just done. Not too soft as they will finish with the glaze on.

To make the glaze. Mix white miso with mirin and sugar. Make it as sweet as you like. Add the white part of spring onion and a little grated ginger. Glaze the tops of the aubergines with plenty of this paste. The deeper you've cross hatch the more glaze it will take. Finish under a moderate grill/broiler till the miso is cooked and nicely caramelised. Garnish with spring onion tops and toasted sesame seeds. Simple yet the most delicious way to prepare aubergine.

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

After seeing the Mozambique episode of No reservations, I just had to make peri-peri chicken (piri-piri / pili-pili? I get confused by all these different names. Are there any differences?)

Last night I made my interpretation of the dish:

2013-04-20%2021.41.07%20%28Medium%29.jpg

2013-04-20%2021.57.13%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Ingredients:

- 4 whole chilli peppers
- 5 pieces of garlic
- thumb size grated ginger
- 3 large spoons paprika
- basil
- parsley
- oregano

- coriander
- 3 limes
- white wine vinegar
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper

- olive oil

Edited by Wapi (log)
  • Like 1

I haven't been cooking much over the last few weeks, but I have been eating. Lots.

But tonight I managed to put this together.

Duck legs braised in beer with garlic, ginger, shallots, chilli, dried orange peel, and dark soy sauce. Served with asparagus fried in duck fat, rice and a garlic yogurt sauce with coriander (cilantro). The yogurt is home made.

duck asparagus yogurt.jpg

Still have the duck breasts for tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Not quite dinner yet but maybe in three or four hours. Photo of one of two large Boston Butts that I'm cooking on my Weber Kettle to be finished as pulled pork. I used a dry rub of harissa and fresh garlic and left the pork uncovered in the fridge overnight. Smoked with mulberry for the first four hours. This shot is at 10 hours in with an internal temp of 161 F.

P1000990(2).JPG

liuzhou, the duck legs look delicious. I only had Peking duck as a duck dish before. I will try to braise duck next time :raz:

Ranz, the pie is absolutely stunning. I never made pie crust that beautiful.

Life is beautiful.

8670375119_688453227a_z.jpg

Baby golden beet and radish salad

The largest of the beets was barely a fraction larger than one of those radishes.

The beets were peeled and halved, and the radishes trimmed, then simmered in lightly salted water for 5 minutes, then blanched in ice water. The dressing is 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, coarse sea salt and black pepper.

The greens are a mix of mesclun, cabbage flower and radish greens.

8670374963_77e2cd7616_z.jpg

Smoked bacon, Red Russian kale

If you wanted to make this vegetarian, omit the bacon and increase the amount of mushrooms. (This is just kale, garlic and mushrooms cooked in bacon drippings, and were added just as the bacon began to crisp up.)

Bacon from Flying Pigs Farm (http://flyingpigsfarm.com/), made from heritage pork.

For folks who don't know what "heritage pork" is (and why it's important to preserve these breeds):

https://www.localharvest.org/features/heritage-pork.jsp

8671478564_edff4a9d9a_z.jpg

Spaghetti pan-fried with ramps and mint

You can view the recipe here: http://www.thekitchn.com/spring-recipe-spaghetti-pan-fried-with-ramps-mint-170317

pizza and calzone for supper tonight.. my wife wanted the calzone and I went for a onion, pepperoni and black olive pie , I ended up topping the slices with a fillet of anchovy before eating, GEDC3929_zps5a9b204f.jpg

My wife's Calzone is very simple pepperoni, sauce and cheese with a very few thin slices of onion.

GEDC3926_zps8d67fc60.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Ranz

would you tell me a little more about that SV/Roast pork belly. that looks like its just the ticket as I have a few slabs waiting in line in the freezer for just such a treatment.

thanks!

Brined for about 12 hours with a 7% salt mixture that included some garlic and herbs, heated then added after it cooled.

Sous Vide @ 66C for 36 hours with some butter, black pepper and a some dried herbs.

Shocked in some ice in the sink, then laid skin-down in the fridge with some heavy weight on it.

Then I experimented:

I had a 1kg slab, which is a nice size. I cut it in half and bagged the two portions separately. The first batch I tried frying. It was OK, but nothing special. Not enough fat rendered out, and though I like the taste/mouthfeel of it (which I know a lot of people don't) it was still too much, and overpowered everything else. Also, maybe I didn't use enough oil, but the skin kept sticking to the pan.

From that same piece I popped it into the oven under a hot grill (broiler?) to try and render off some of that fat. This attempt was much better, but still not enough for my liking.

Last night I took the entire remaining half, and covered the sides - up to the skin - with foil, for some protection against overdrying. I then salted the skin quite heavily, after scoring it. Preheated the oven to around 210C and left it in for about 15-20 mins, then switched it to grill and browned the top.

The last attempt was definitely the best. The meat is still tender from the sous vide, the fat had melted out but kept meat moist, and the skin was crispy. I would've liked it crispier, but it's a step in the right direction. Next time I'll turn the grill up to high and stick the skin as close as possible for a few minutes maybe.

I really, really want to try the Serious Eats porchetta, but don't have the equipment or nerve yet :)

Edited by Ranz (log)

original.jpg
90 day dry aged ribeye, with a saffron Bearnaise sauce, Russett Burbank, and asparagus.
The Bearnaise was the highlight of the dinner, but I had a panicked moment when the *(&&^(*^&* Bamix broke down. I had to use the food processor and was really concerned that it would not be smooth enough. I thought I might have to get the hand whisk out!
Bearnaise - traditional reduction of white wine and vinegar (instead of Tarragon vinegar I used Banyuls) with shallots and Tarragon. Sous-vide with 4 egg yolks for 35 minutes at 63C, then mounted with 225gm butter. Whisked in the food processor, then into the ISI whipper, charged with 2 cartridges, then back into SV at 60C to hold.
Steak - 90 day dry aged Cape Grim grassfed with excellent marbling from Gary's of Prahran. Sous-vide at 53C for 40 minutes then finished on the charcoal grille. It might look rare, but it's cooked!
Potatoes - retrograded at 72C for 40 minutes with the skin on, then cut into shapes and parboiled for 15 minutes then dried on a rack. Panfried on duck fat and rosemary.
Asparagus - simply panfried while the steak was resting.
BTW Wapi, I do a peri-peri chicken also. This is what mine looks like:

original.jpg

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Tonight I was invited to dinner in a local Thai restaurant here in China. It is one of only two in the city and I'd never been to this one before. The food was OK, but not very Thai at all. They had thrown limes onto everything, but there was no lemongrass and where I would have expected basil (which we seldom see here) they had coriander leaf / cilantro (which we see everywhere).

So although the meal wasn't bad, it was very disappointing. As ever in China, the big boss ordered everything, so I'm not 100% sure what the menu descriptions were.

We started with a soup which I didn't photograph. It tasted of pure lime juice and chilli pepper and nothing much else although there was a shrimp bobbing about in the bowl.

IMG_4675 (Large).jpg

This was the least attractive dish of the evening, but perhaps the tastiest. It is oysters fried with eggs.

IMG_4677 (Large).jpg

This was just a beef and green pepper stir fry. I could have done it better myself.

IMG_4680 (Large).jpg

Papaya Salad with roast pork. Good.

IMG_4682 (Large).jpg

Seafood fried rice

IMG_4687 (Large).jpg

Steamed fish. Again very nice, but not in the least bit Thai.

IMG_4690 (Large).jpg

Squid and noodles. OK

IMG_4694 (Large).jpg

Battered prawns

IMG_4697 (Large).jpg

Battered prawns again!

There were a couple of other dishes which I neglected to photograph. Most notably a miserable fruit salad covered in mayonnaise. Highly Chinese.

I won't be likely to go back. The other one is much better.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto