• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

Keith_W – Thanks! Your bivalves and taters look spectacular. By the way - plantains and black beans seem to be a common pairing in parts of Mexico and Central America. Speaking of which, I have been on a Mexican kick lately

Peppered bay scallops – White onion, garlic, jalapenos, and black pepper, finished with mayonnaise.

Green rice – Roasted Poblano chiles, garlic, white onion, spinach, flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, and chicken stock, pureed and cooked pilaf-style.

Fried plantains

p1533162460-4.jpg

I love sweet fried plantains Bruce - how do you prepare them? And which of the two types of plantains normally available do you use?

Patrick – Two types of plantains? You’ll have to educate me. I just take black-ripe plantains, whatever I can find at the Latino or Asian market, and peel, slice, and pan-fry until browned. Sometimes I'll cube the plantains, fry them up, and then mix in with rice. Mrs. C baked plantains the other night, and they turned out sweet, creamy, and bursting from their skin.

A dollop of Mexican crema or creme fraiche makes a nice topping, if one is not counting calories . . .

Steve – gorgeous falafel – I love the color!

Bruce – thanks for the help – I’ll try that recipe! That steak looks fantastic, BTW.

Shane – beautiful crust on that pork loin.

Keith – those ribs are amazing. Mr. Kim has FINALLY bought some ribs to smoke and seeing yours, I really can’t wait.

Simon – glad you got the chance to try the short ribs. They are a favorite here. Yours sound like they turned out great – especially the fact that the diners descended before you could grab a photo!

Pastameshugana – gorgeous color on those oranges!!!

We had Mr. Kim’s mom and Jessica over for dinner Wednesday night. I tried a new way of making meatball sandwiches – making patties instead of balls. I saw it on a Food Network show and thought it made a lot of sense. I used my regular meatball recipe – Italian American Meatballs, scali rolls, provolone cheese and Giada’s Basic Marinara.

med_gallery_3331_114_30973.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_119698.jpg

They turned out really good, but really HUGE. I will need to make them smaller next time! Mr. Kim was the only one that finished his and that was only because he threw away half the bread!

I served it with cheese fries (per Jessica’s request) and my dad’s Chopped Salad w/ his Creamy Parmesan Dressing. He had told me about the salad and dressing and sent me the recipe. It was absolutely delicious – lettuce, Swiss, olives, tomatoes, chick peas (I left those out – not a favorite), salami and cucumber.

med_gallery_3331_114_88521.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_58041.jpg

Dessert was just a cake mix fix up – Strawberry Yogurt Cake:

med_gallery_3331_114_100067.jpg

But it was very good. Mostly because of the delicious strawberries that I found at WF – incredibly good, especially considering that it is April. Slice:

med_gallery_3331_114_100259.jpg

I love sweet fried plantains Bruce - how do you prepare them? And which of the two types of plantains normally available do you use?

Patrick – Two types of plantains? You’ll have to educate me. I just take black-ripe plantains, whatever I can find at the Latino or Asian market, and peel, slice, and pan-fry until browned. Sometimes I'll cube the plantains, fry them up, and then mix in with rice. Mrs. C baked plantains the other night, and they turned out sweet, creamy, and bursting from their skin.

A dollop of Mexican crema or creme fraiche makes a nice topping, if one is not counting calories . . .

Fried plantains can be made better yet (yes, even better!) by frying twice; slice the plantain somewhat thicker than normal (1 1/2"), fry lightly on both sides, then remove to a chopping board and smash/press with the bottom of a skillet (or some other kitchen implement unlikely to break with smashing) to expose the insides of each slice and re-fry the flattened pieces.

Fried plantains can be made better yet (yes, even better!) by frying twice; slice the plantain somewhat thicker than normal (1 1/2"), fry lightly on both sides, then remove to a chopping board and smash/press with the bottom of a skillet (or some other kitchen implement unlikely to break with smashing) to expose the insides of each slice and re-fry the flattened pieces.

Try Kuih Kodok.

Some links:

http://www.citrusandcandy.com/2011/03/kuih-kodok-with-sangkaya-fried-banana.html

http://www.foodily.com/r/CxXzb7fNo-kuih-kodok-malaysian-style-fried-banana-fritters

http://rasamalaysia.com/kuih-kodok-recipe-malaysian-fried-banana-fritters/

Or just Pisang Goreng:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisang_goreng

Try Kuih Kodok.

Some links:

http://www.citrusandcandy.com/2011/03/kuih-kodok-with-sangkaya-fried-banana.html

http://www.foodily.com/r/CxXzb7fNo-kuih-kodok-malaysian-style-fried-banana-fritters

http://rasamalaysia.com/kuih-kodok-recipe-malaysian-fried-banana-fritters/

Or just Pisang Goreng:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisang_goreng

Thank you - apparently Kuih Kodok is 'so damn easy to make that even a monkey can do it', so I might be able to make that one happen. And they definitely look worth trying :wink:

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Re: plantains. The local Fairway has both green and yellow ones. Apparently they start out green, turn yellow, and eventually ripen to black. I guess we need to buy the yellow ones and wait until they turn back.

You plantain fryers: what do you fry them in? Butter?

Re: plantains. The local Fairway has both green and yellow ones. Apparently they start out green, turn yellow, and eventually ripen to black. I guess we need to buy the yellow ones and wait until they turn back.

You plantain fryers: what do you fry them in? Butter?

Green plantains and vegetable oil. I might well use butter for ripe ones but I prefer the potato end of plantain development over the banana end :smile:

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Hello every one, I'm new here. I'm from China and now study in US. Very nice to meet you all!

This is what I have,

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is some sort of Southern Chinese dumpling soup. The filling is mainly shredded daikon (huge white radish), mixed with dried shrimp, shallots, ginger and seasoned with soybean sauce, salt, white pepper, shrimp paste. The filling was in refrigerator overnight and when taken out, extra water is squeezed off.

The soup is a common Chinese pork spare rib soup, which is a pork broth based on shallots and ginger. I added some wolfberry and Chinese medicine herb. This particular soup is also called medicine soup in my country.

祝大家好胃口!(chinese version 'Bon appetit' :smile: )

Life is beautiful.

Tina – Welcome to Dinner! I hope you enjoy your time in the US, and look forward to seeing more of your meals.

Huiray – Thanks for the fantastic plantain links.

Patrick – I usually fry plantains in oil over pretty high heat. Now that you mention it, plantains in ghee might be really good. Oh, and your khoresh looks delicious.

We made a big pot of chipotle-tomatillo-roasted garlic beef stew with potatoes, carrots, and green beans. I hoped to grab a picture this morning, but apparently elder son beat me to the leftovers. :sad: He did make a pot of coffee . . .

@Plantes Vertes & C. sapidus - You're welcome. Note that those links for Kuih Kodok (and the general one for Pisang Goreng) are for recipes traditionally using ripe bananas. :-)

I'll chime in one the ripe plantain question; I love them well browned and spritzed with fresh squeezed lime juice. Yummy!, especially with a Medianoche sandwich on a sweet egg roll, like an individual challah bread. Damn, now I'm hungry again!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

great meals as always.. here are a couple from the past two weekends.

grilled tri tip steak and shrimp and roast potatoes and salad. sorry not the greatest photo.

GEDC3908_zps2eda75fd.jpg

braised short ribs on grits, onion and niagara gold cheese flan and salad

4fc2a48c-798e-4f68-ba2d-fdc5343c91f1_zps

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Dinner tonight was Chinese. Sorry, no pictures.

Sous-vide Patagonian toothfish. There are no recipes in existence for SV toothfish, so I made it up. I packed the bag with some toasted sesame oil, grated ginger and garlic, then SV'ed it at 47C for 35 minutes. I served it the traditional Cantonese way - on soy sauce, with ginger, spring onions, and fried shallots. My wife was amazed that SV easily beat the traditional method of steaming - the sauce was less watery and more intense, and the fish was perfectly cooked with a nice ginger flavour.

Veggies were stir fried bok choy, but done my way. Most Chinese cooks will cook their veggies from room temperature, but mine sits in an ice bath before I throw it on the superheated wok. This gives nice little charred bits ("wok hei") but also helps stop the vegetables from overcooking and preserves the super-crunchy texture.

Both dishes served with steamed rice.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Most Chinese cooks will cook their veggies from room temperature, but mine sits in an ice bath before I throw it on the superheated wok. This gives nice little charred bits ("wok hei") but also helps stop the vegetables from overcooking and preserves the super-crunchy texture.

That's such a clever tip, thank you!

Is the ice bath just ice, or iced water? If water, do you dry the vegetables before frying or just throw them straight in?