• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

heidih and C. sapdius - loved the falafel as did my test subjects (wife and neighbors). I did use chickpeas which were soaked overnight before being ground in the food processor. Tonight's dinner was chicken thighs seasoned with berbere seasoning blend from World Spice Market. I buy it whole then grind it as I need it. I browned the chicken with garlic, onion, and preserved lemons then finished in the oven. After a liberal dose of tomatoes, olives, orange pepper and cilantro it was served with lettuce from my garden.

P1000883(1).JPG

P1000881(1).JPG

Edited by Steve Irby (log)

Everybody's food looks so good<br /><br />Finished soup. <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365646293.766079.jpg<br /><br />Made some roasted chickpeas with sweet and hot pinmenton to snack on and a flat bread dusted with bay leave, zaatar, crushed red pepper and manchego cheese which was cut into "cheese sticks" to eat with the soup

C. sapidus - great photo of the rice and plantains.

Baselerd - Your plating and photography has been at the highest level lately. I'm going include your shots in my screen saver rotation with mm84321.

Keith W - pretty ambitious dishes beautifully conceived and executed.

Dinner tonight were much awaited beef short ribs. I have read so much about them and finally managed to by some here Downunder.

Marinated for a few hours in some BBQ sauce (doctored commercial stuff) then cooked for 48 hours at 58 degrees C. Unbagged and seared on a red hot BBQ then served with a reduction of the bag sauce and BBQ corn on the cob.

Texture was fantastic, juicy and tender but still firm. This will definitely go on the list for another try.

Would love suggestions on brining to enhance the flavour.

Sorry but no photos as the piranhas descended upon them before I had a chance to serve and take a picture.

Simon

Baselerd - beautifully plated dinner as usual. I struggle to make my food look pretty and dainty - I tend to want to eat, so I load my plates up with food! Maybe I need to develop a more dainty appetite first!

rotuts - intrigued to see the final result!

Callinectes Sapidus - interesting fusion food as usual. I would never think of those combinations.

Steve - looks good!

Simon Lewinson - you have trouble finding ribs down here? Strange, I seem to have no trouble. Maybe you need a good butcher :) Even the cheap Asian butcher in Box Hill Centro has entire racks of beef and pork and will carve them to your liking. Next time try to keep the piranhas away otherwise none of us will believe that you cooked dinner!

Chris Taylor - your iPhone camera does not do your dinner justice!

Anyway, dinner tonight was:

original.jpg

Rockling with clam sauce, potato puree, and broccolini.

Rockling - pan fried and basted with butter.

Clam sauce - Cooked with shallots, garlic, white wine, and tarragon, then shucked. Juices separated from the meat then reduced.

Broccolini - steamed 4 minutes then plunged in ice water.

Potato puree - Russet Burbank potatoes (a rarity here in Australia) were sous-vided for 30 minutes at 72C, then peeled and boiled for 30 minutes. Passed through a tamis twice then adjusted with butter.

Garnish: chives, salmon caviar, tobiko.

Here is a sneak peek at tomorrow night's dinner:

original.jpg

Yep, it's another roast chicken injected with stock made from roast chicken (stock pictured at left). This time I followed the MC@Home recipe and pre-gelatinized the skin by plunging it in boiling water several times, then thoroughly dried and painted with soy sauce and paprika. It already looks delicious and it hasn't been cooked yet! If you don't see me post tomorrow night, it either means I am too drunk or that dinner was a disaster and I am too ashamed to post :)

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Simon Lewinson - you have trouble finding ribs down here? Strange, I seem to have no trouble. Maybe you need a good butcher :) Even the cheap Asian butcher in Box Hill Centro has entire racks of beef and pork and will carve them to your liking. Next time try to keep the piranhas away otherwise none of us will believe that you cooked dinner!

Keith_W, living out in the sticks has a load of advantages, but getting some cuts of meat is not one of them. I have to drive nearly 100 kilometers to get beef cheeks and decent pork belly! For any Asian groceries more esoteric than soy sauce or rice noodles, I need to drive for nearly 4 hours to get down to Melbourne.

Was at the Queen Vic on the weekend and stocked up on beef ribs, pork shanks, Vietnamese mint and assorted Asian mushrooms.

On the flip side, I went outside and picked nearly 2 Kg of chestnuts from out the front of my neighbors house. I also get free venison from a friend that hunts regularly.

I used to live in Suburban Melbourne, but would not swap living in rural North Eastern Victoria for the convenience of shopping.

Simon

no need to get the Swiss form Swiss land. dont get it at Trader Joe's their only one is Rubber.

That's odd ... the TJ's around here (I've been to three of them) all have at least four types of Swiss plus one or two sliced in packages.

... Shel

Day off today, so a riff on a dish from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem. It's a riff because we live in a tiny town with serious ingredient lacks. Couldn't get: fennel bulbs, arak, or even cous cous for the side...

Loosely inspired by "Roasted Chicken with Clementines and arak"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365727477.568579.jpg

I used cara cara oranges (again no clementines available) and, on a whim used vanilla from the make your own vanilla extract experiment in place of the arak, since it had a high alcohol content.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365727730.084134.jpg

This was very yummy.

Side was orzo with onion, chili and tomato paste.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Dinner tonight for a couple of friends.

original.jpg

Entree: sous-vide mussels as per MC@Home. I followed the MC&H recipe to a point but substituted ingredients to make my own sauce.

original.jpg

Alternative entree of panfried scallops for the one guest who didn't like mussels.

original.jpg

Main: remember last night's photo? Well this was what it looked like after roasting. A bit of a disappointment, was not quite as good as the other chooks. The sauce had a bit of bitterness through it which I think ruined the whole dish. To make it worse, I wasn't sure what caused the bitterness either.

original.jpg

Side: mashed potato from Heston Blumenthal at Home. I couldn't get his potatoes, so I used Royal Blues. Retrograded the starch via sous-vide at 72C for 40 minutes, then passed through a tamis twice and adjusted with butter, milk, and seasonings. This was truly spectacular (if I say so myself) - super smooth and creamy.

original.jpg

Side: sous-vide carrots with cumin, fennel seed, and tarragon. 85C for 40 minutes then reheated at 62C.

original.jpg

Side: sugar snap peas with Ortiz anchovies.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

did you 'rest' the chicken after the roast? if so, and you'd like some paprika flavor, try a very light dusting just as it comes out of the oven.

I do that with Penzy's Spanish Smoked paprika on items that are baked over 300 degrees heat. not the same, but a touch is all you need.

rotuts Paprika can get bitter at high temps? I use paprika from The Spice House on all my roast chickens which are finished at 450, and I've never experienced this.

pastameshugana Ah someone else here is cooking from the Ottolenghi! I made that same dish just a couple of weeks ago - you can compare here. I used all the ingredients (except subbing mandarins for clementines), and loved the dish, but the combination of arak, fennel bulbs and crushed fennel is a bit over the top. I like anise flavors but they sort of dominated. Next time I think I'll cut down on the arak.