• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

jvalentino - the crumb on that pizza looks amazing!

patrickarmory and Sapidus - beautiful looking dinners!

Simon - nice looking salmon, what temperature did you cook it at?

Dinner tonight was another attempt at the injection brined roast chicken, injected with the jus of another roast chicken. This time I doubled the volume of the brine (now 20% of the weight of the chicken instead of 10%), reduced the salt from 6% to 4%, and air dried it in my fridge for 72 hours, then rotisseried at 100C to an internal temperature of 60C. I then took it out to rest until the temp dropped to 55C, whilst cranking my oven to the max. I returned it to the oven to brown the skin. Result:

original.jpg

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Beautiful crust jvalentino and C. sapidus - my monitor has fork marks from trying to grab that chicken.

The very two I wanted to say 'Hoera' to. Wonderful dishes both, we really should have a 'Like' button for this kind of thing.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Keith – thank you! I have the plain white plates, too, but the great thing about having them is that you can put anything with them and they look good. Doesn’t stop me from coveting your glass, though! BTW, your lamb and veg look great!

Patrick – gorgeous fried rice! Is that ham and shrimp? I love that combination of flavors. Years ago, I got a great recipe from a much missed former eG’r named Doddie for a ham and crab salad. I’ve done it with ham and shrimp and just loved the results.

Jvalentino – lovely pizza crust – the bubbles are perfect.

Last night I did a Vietnamese roasted chicken dish that Bruce made awhile back. It looked and sounded so good that I Googled the recipe and made it. It is called ‘Ga Ro Ti’. It called for chicken thighs to be marinated in sugar, pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, oil and garlic then pan fried until crisp and finished in the oven. You then set aside the chicken and used the pan to make ‘dirty rice’. The rice was actually very good, but we all found the chicken underwhelming. One thing was my fault – I am completely inept at using a skillet that isn’t nonstick :angry: . All my skin stuck to the pan – AND I crowded the pan a bit – so we missed out on the crispy skin. But the flavor of the marinade was pretty weak. The texture of the chicken was good – tender and moist. Bruce – do you have any pointers for me? Here’s where I got the recipe: http://sundaynitedinner.com/vietnamese-roasted-chicken-ga-ro-ti/ I’m sure that yours was much more flavorful. Is this recipe missing something?

Started with salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_166511.jpg

Chicken, rice and asparagus:

med_gallery_3331_114_129839.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_114193.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_882.jpg

Dinner tonight was pizza. I'm starting to get some good ones out of my new wood fired oven.

Nice :)

What dough recipe are you using there?

Thanks all.

The recipe was my own concoction using the dough calculating tool here http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

100% Bread Flour

69% hydration

2% salt

.15% IDY

Minimally knead and rise on the counter for 24hrs.

Steve Irby, naguere, and Keith_W – Thank you very much for your kind words! And Keith – that chicken looks gorgeous!

Steve - how did you like the falafel?

Last night I did a Vietnamese roasted chicken dish that Bruce made awhile back. It looked and sounded so good that I Googled the recipe and made it. It is called ‘Ga Ro Ti’. . . . Bruce – do you have any pointers for me? Here’s where I got the recipe: http://sundaynitedinner.com/vietnamese-roasted-chicken-ga-ro-ti/ I’m sure that yours was much more flavorful. Is this recipe missing something?

Hi Kim – Sorry you were disappointed. The recipe you linked is a little different from the one in Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. Buy the book (highly recommended!) or try this link:

http://www.francisfoodie.com/francisfoodie/tag/vietnamese-cookbook

Speaking of Into the Vietnamese Kitchen . . .

Pan-seared beef steaks (thit bo bit-tet, minus the appropriate marks): T-bone steaks, marinated with garlic, black pepper, Maggi sauce, and oil, and cooked on a cast-iron pan. Turned out nicely, although I prefer charcoal-grilled steaks. Mrs. C made black rice and salad.

p1525255326-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Had a couple of friends over for dinner tonight, so I went through a bit of effort. It was nice having the day off :)

original.jpg

Sous-vide mussels with mussel broth, tobiko, and Japanese salad.

Mussels: (as per Modernist Cuisine at Home) - steamed 2 minutes, then shucked, the SV at 62C for 10 minutes.

Mussel broth: my own recipe. The juices from shucking the mussels were steeped with tarragon, garlic, and shallots, then strained. Adjusted with Yuzu and fish sauce.

Japanese salad: dressing made from Yuzu, Mirin, and Sake.

original.jpg

Sous-vide salmon with watercress puree, lotus chips, and autumn vegetables.

Salmon: brined for 5 hours, then SV at 45C for 30 minutes.

Watercress puree: shocked for 45 seconds in boiling water then blended with Xanthan gum.

Lotus chips: thinly sliced lotus root, deep fried at 180C for 5 minutes.

Autumn veggies: SV at 85C for 20 minutes then reheated in the bag.

now that Loin is Talking to me!

I some times ( freezer space needs to be available ) i get these loins and trim off most of the fat and then either cut them in long grain 'steaks' for sandwich etc

but I have not stuffed them. I routinely stuff Ck Breast and Turkey Breast and sometimes beef sirloin tips as a solid cut of meat: not the cut up variety.

Id like to know why the rice? does it absorb the flavor of the Piggy Goodness?

next time the loins are on sale. Ill figure out a Stuffing type thing to do!

thanks for the ideas!

Trying something new - I got quelites (lamb's quarters) in my vegetable bag last week. It takes a little bit of patience to pick all the leaves (the stems seemed hard so I did not use them). The preparation is similar to spinach - cook some shallots, green onion and chile de arbol in olive oil, add the quelites with a little bit of water, add salt, cover and it's ready in 2 minutes. I added a spoonful of creme fraiche and a squeeze of lemon oil before serving. Very similar to spinach; slightly more bitter (good in my book) and a better texture (no slime). This recipe was adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetable Literacy.

8633996376_fb09783be0_z.jpg

8633998652_ec28bea39e_z.jpg

More green garlic champ and a grilled Delmonico steak on the side...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

jvalentino - the crumb on that pizza looks amazing!

patrickarmory and Sapidus - beautiful looking dinners!

Simon - nice looking salmon, what temperature did you cook it at?

Dinner tonight was another attempt at the injection brined roast chicken, injected with the jus of another roast chicken. This time I doubled the volume of the brine (now 20% of the weight of the chicken instead of 10%), reduced the salt from 6% to 4%, and air dried it in my fridge for 72 hours, then rotisseried at 100C to an internal temperature of 60C. I then took it out to rest until the temp dropped to 55C, whilst cranking my oven to the max. I returned it to the oven to brown the skin. Result:

How was the skin, Keith? It looks beautiful!

I went out and bough a duck on the weekend. Spent a hour or two learning how to break the thing down but got two nice breasts, thighs and legs in the end.

The breasts were salted and spiced then to dry in the fridge for a number of hours. The first breast I overcooked on the same day as I broke it down. The second came out brilliantly after 48 hours in the fridge and a perfect final temp. Pic of first breast:

20130410-Duck1-sm-2.jpg

The thighs had the same treatment and were rolled after 24 hours. Nice game flavor to them. The legs were meant to be the best bit, confit in the ducks own fat. But, they came out dry. Time to purchase a cook book and do things properly!

20130410-Duck2-sm-2.jpg

Hey Ben, the skin was nice and crispy when it came out of the oven. However, I rested it in foil for 15 minutes. After this, the skin became soggy, but it was still delicious.

Anyway, dinner tonight. I had an incredibly busy day today. Fortunately for me, my sous-vide beef and pork ribs had already been in the SV bath for 72 hours by the time I got home this evening. Two hours in the smoker and they looked like this:

original.jpg

Edited by Keith_W (log)

Keith - that roast chicken looks tasty!

Benthescientist - nice plating.

I recently made some boneless chicken thigh confit (cooked in pork fat, rosemary, and thyme for 1.5 hours at 148 F), asparagus (cooked with pork fat, thyme, peppercorn for 15 minutes at 185 F), glazed maitake mushrooms, mushroom-miso puree, asparagus cream fluid gel, fried bread, and pork jus.

tumblr_ml0rvnSBx31rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Thanks Rotuts

This is a recipe you can really play with because everything works with pork :biggrin:

The rice is a great for filling. It does absorb the smoky pork flavor from the Egg

I also don't have to worry about a starch for dinner :laugh:

Let us know what you come up with

Shane

one of my standard fillings is Mortadella ( no pistacios ) good quality dry Genova salami and swiss cheese. i stuff chicken breasts and turkey breasts with this.

i add wilted 'wrung-out' spinach to this trio and stuff beef sirloin tips ( get as a slab )

no need to get the Swiss form Swiss land. dont get it at Trader Joe's their only one is Rubber. you want the flavor and the melt.

supermarket will have it. may not the salami. TJ's has an excellent one, sliced. cant remember their name: you want 'fatty ?oily

surface with pepper flavor. No Pistacios Please! most supermarkets have a decent mortadella ( domestique ) thats fine.

did I mention no pistachios? very important.

if you try this Id like to see your results and your views!

these are what my standard Chicken breasts look like. these seemed to have some saute 'd

mushrooms in them :

CkBr pre.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)