• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

Beautiful and inspiring plates as usual, SobaAddict70.

More recent (March) meals from my backlog.

Butternut squash ravioli with food-processor pesto.

The ravioli were purchased, the pesto is Marcella Hazan's recipe.

8573090689_02e54651f7_z.jpg

Braised Italian sausages (pork and veal) in tomato and red wine sauce. This is an adaptation of a recipe in All About Braising by Molly Stevens, with the tomato sauce from Babbo. This is one my husband's favorite meals so I make it regularly.

8559202740_8ebce856d6_z.jpg

Marcella Hazan's fricasseed chicken with rosemary and lemon juice.

Excellent and easy to make.

8555620489_cf22b2c750_z.jpg

Suzanne Goin's lamb shanks from Sunday Suppers at Lucques. These are incredible (think umami bomb). This may be my choice for Easter this year.

8549875975_64edb766ae_z.jpg

A very rare (bleu) rib eye steak that was 75% cap - just spectacular, with a frisee salad.

8541445356_5464be654d_z.jpg

8540404067_b5c7b1630d_z.jpg

Salmon fillet wrapped in prosciutto with herby lentils, spinach and yogurt (Naked Chef). Another recipe that I make regularly.

8533518568_e1bc6b1ef3_z.jpg

Fresh herb rigatoni with Parma ham and Babbo's basic tomato sauce.

8518078872_1851927087_z.jpg

Mario Batali's Neopolitan meatballs.

8530377780_b8bab58be9_z.jpg

8529481981_cb8cbccfd5_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Fed up with the lack of food in Costa Rica with any damn flavor I made tacos for a bunch of locals and they freaked out.

"What is that???"

"....flavor"

8577793150_3e84a4555f_z.jpg

Carnitas braised in papaya, mango and spices. Salsa fresca, natilla and kolrabi sprouts from the garden.

Gorgeous. You should consider opening a little taco shop there - you would make a killing with this thing you call flavor!

Pulled out a Cantonese roast duck from the depths of my freezer - purchased a couple of weeks ago on a trip to the city. Made up some Singapore rice noodles with sweet bell peppers, julieen carrots, green onions, and bean sprouts to go with a couple of pieces of the duck for supper last night.

Took 3/4 of the duck and made up 2 big containers of the noodles for my international students' lunch at school today.

peking duck and Singapore rice noodles.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

rotuts – Here is the recipe for the waffles: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/SIDEDISHES/Stuffing_Waffles.html

Shane – I’ve watched videos on butchering, gladly eat head-on fish and I’ve even cleaned a chicken once in my life. But those geckos freaked me right out.

Wapi – gorgeous short ribs. I’ve got some in the freezer – need to get those out SOON! The fish stew looks lovely, too – the white stuff in the middle: is that a fish cake of some sort?

mm – beautiful ravioli! And I love, love, LOVE how thin your pasta is. Just exactly right.

Soba – oh, my! Those roasted grapes and ricotta sound and look divine!

Elise – everything is lovely, but those meatballs have me swooning!

Hardly cooking at all these days – seems like we are out or just eating throw together stuff every day! My mother came over for dinner the other night. We had salad w/ her vinaigrette (mixed on the salad, not in a bowl – she just uses vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and a little sugar and it’s better than I can ever do), Suzylightning’s fresh salmon cakes, yeast rolls and Rice-a-Roni (a guilty pleasure in the Shook house):

med_gallery_3331_114_27632.jpg

Salmon cakes w/ tzatziki:

med_gallery_3331_114_17166.jpg

Inside the cakes:

med_gallery_3331_114_103532.jpg

Fantastic, as always. My mother loved them Suzy!

Tonight was yoga (a gift from Mr. Kim), so we ate at Five Guys afterwards (that works, right? :biggrin: ) and tomorrow Mr. Kim has a poker game, so I’ll probably have a grilled cheese sandwich. My sister is coming for the weekend and I’m making dinner on Saturday, so I guess I’ll see y’all on Sunday :huh: !

Gorgeous. You should consider opening a little taco shop there - you would make a killing with this thing you call flavor!

Yeah I've been talking with my friend a lot about putting something together. Especially in this little town of Mal Pais people would flip for a cheap taco fills with flavor. Just offer one kind and sell out every day then go surf!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Kim - thanks. I love the pine nuts in these meatballs and the liberal amount of parsley.

Nice-looking salmon liuzhou, and I like the idea of a chickpea puree. Is it made from fresh or canned chickpeas?

Last night I had fish as well. I got a few beautiful local rock cod fillets with my CSA, so I made rock cod and pencil asparagus with "the crispiest batter" from Jamie's Italy. The batter recipe is tempura-like; it was very light and crispy indeed. Walnut-scallion bread from Bread & Cie (my favorite local bakery) on the side.

8579600978_031e2c92b5_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

SobaAddict70 I'm going to take a stab at gnocchi this weekend. That combination looks great. FrogPrincesse you've been posting a lot of great looking dishes this week. I have to say though I'm afraid my rock cod would be cold before I finished it with the size of that fork. MM84321, ScottyBoy, Liuzhou very nice dishes.

SobaAddict70 I'm going to take a stab at gnocchi this weekend. That combination looks great. FrogPrincesse you've been posting a lot of great looking dishes this week. I have to say though I'm afraid my rock cod would be cold before I finished it with the size of that fork. MM84321, ScottyBoy, Liuzhou very nice dishes.

Steve -- the gnocchi is straight out of Suzanne Goin's Sunday Suppers at Lucques. I think there's a demo in one of the foodblogs I did on eG a while ago that shows how to make them, or you can click on the link in my signature and do a search for it on the blog.

There isn't a recipe for the "sauce" -- which is just a bunch of vegetables (leeks, celery, baby peas) chopped up/thinly sliced, and cooked in unsalted butter and olive oil, then seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and fresh mint. The peas were frozen, but everything else was fresh.

From around this time to the end of November, ricotta gnocchi appears once every 2-3 weeks for dinner, varied only by whatever vegetables I have on hand.

Some ideas are:

asparagus, morels and peas

fava beans and ramps

spinach, turnip greens and smothered onions

Sungold cherry tomatoes and corn

sweet peppers and chard

pumpkin and wild mushrooms

wild mushrooms and chestnuts

have fun!

FrogPrincesse you've been posting a lot of great looking dishes this week. I have to say though I'm afraid my rock cod would be cold before I finished it with the size of that fork.

Thanks Steve.

And I assure you, this is a normal European-size fork! :-)

FrogPrincesse you've been posting a lot of great looking dishes this week. I have to say though I'm afraid my rock cod would be cold before I finished it with the size of that fork.

Thanks Steve.

And I assure you, this is a normal European-size fork! :-)

As a gluttonous Son Of The South I rest my case.

Edited by Steve Irby (log)

20130321-Spag-MeatBalls-1.jpg

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Pork & beef mince with chili, oregano, cumin & coriander seeds. The sauce was boosted with roast garlic & mushrooms. The pasta is store bought, but fried with the fat from the meat balls. Want to try it again with home made pasta.

A very rare (bleu) rib eye steak that was 75% cap - just spectacular, with a frisee salad.

Wow that's a lot of cap! Nice score!

8576675931_2ec5e43db7_z.jpg

Ricotta gnocchi with Marcella's tomato sauce

I adore ricotta gnocchi, moreso than potato or chestnut gnocchi. They're very easy -- just ricotta cheese, flour, egg, nutmeg, sea salt, black pepper. I prefer a ratio of ricotta to flour on a 3:1 basis, so the gnocchi end up feathery light.

As for the sauce, it's quite simple -- a can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes, one onion sliced in half, 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, sea salt and black pepper.

By the way, this sauce is so delicious that you'll want to skip the gnocchi and eat it straight out of the pot.

Beautiful simplicity. I want to try this, although trying to obtain specific types of canned tomato can be difficult over here.

>>8576675931_2ec5e43db7_z.jpg

I adore ricotta gnocchi, moreso than potato or chestnut gnocchi. They're very easy -- just ricotta cheese, flour, egg, nutmeg, sea salt, black pepper. I prefer a ratio of ricotta to flour on a 3:1 basis, so the gnocchi end up feathery light.

As for the sauce, it's quite simple -- a can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes, one onion sliced in half, 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, sea salt and black pepper.

By the way, this sauce is so delicious that you'll want to skip the gnocchi and eat it straight out of the pot.

Beautiful simplicity. I want to try this, although trying to obtain specific types of canned tomato can be difficult over here.

San Marzano tomatoes are readily avaliable in Melbourne. Go to a decent Italian deli (my local one sells them: next time you're over I can pick some up in advance, if you like) or to a store that peddles 'ethnic' groceries--i.e. Oasis Bakery. They've marginally more expensive than regular canned tomatoes but not overly so (ie. I pay about $2.50 a can as opposed to the $1 you'd pay for Coles' home brand tomatoes).

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

id=

"1912905">

>>8576675931_2ec5e43db7_z.jpg

By the way, this sauce is so delicious that you'll want to skip the gnocchi and eat it straight out of th

e pot.</blockquo

te>

San Marzano tomatoes are readily avaliable in Melbourne. Go to a decent Italian deli (my local one sells them: next time you're over I can pick some up in advance, if you like) or to a store that peddles 'ethnic' groceries--i.e. Oasis Bakery. They've marginally more expensive than regular canned tomatoes but not overly so (ie. I pay about $2.50 a can as opposed to the $1 you'd pay for Coles' home brand tomatoes).

it's possible with regular canned tomatoes. I was able to obtain canned San Marzano tomatoes because, well, I live near a supermarket that stocks just about everything imaginable.

if it were the height of tomato season here, I'd buy fresh toms instead. the type of tomato isn't really important as long as they're flavorful.

ETA -- you know Pomi toms? the ones that come in vacuum-packed cardboard boxes? I've used them several times in the past with great success.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)