• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

Tonight’s theme was garlic and red chile, slowly fried in olive oil.

Shrimp with garlic and red chile, cumin, paprika, cayenne, S&P, and parsley. Served with spaghetti aio e oio and our usual salad. I will admit to licking the ridiculously compelling sauce off the plate.

p1470419640-4.jpg

Brunch for my wife and feline rescue group. Assorted apps including quick pickles, feta dip, and Tzatziki inspired dip.

P1000533(1).JPG

Carrot Soup from MCaH

P1000538(1).JPG

Carotene butter

P1000536(1).JPG

Dessert was Mango Mousse

P1000539(1).JPG

Here's a shot of the guanciale that finished the cure yesterday.

P1000529(1).JPG

tri tip steak and shrimp with warm potato salad, tom and feta bruschetta. the copious parsley is because I like it, not garnish. My wife doesn't like it , so when it is in the house I tend to go a bit overboard.

ce94fc0f-f5ad-4d19-b0af-70e333421467_zps

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Some dishes of the past week

Mussels with cream sauce

2013-03-02%2020.12.19%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Lamb with roasted red beets

2013-03-02%2022.04.00%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Rabbit with beer and sherry sauce and mushroom risotto

2013-03-09%2020.31.51%20%28Medium%29.jpg

The rabbit looks delicious. Can you share the recipe?

For years I've been looking for something that might replicate my beloved chicken stew and black beans with rice from the long-gone Sucelt Coffee Shop on W. 14 St. Tonight I made this Dominican pollo guisado with frijoles negros. Not really like Sucelt's (their stew was saucier and had tomatoes, and would have been served with maduros and agrio de naranja), but it was good.

pollo_frijoles.jpg

Edited by patrickamory (log)

Homemade chicken boudin seasoned with rosemary and garlic. My first try making boudin and it came out really tasty.

P1000549(1).JPG

This will be dinner tomorrow night. A perfectly good ribeye broken down into four servings plus trimmings reformed with moo glue. P1000541(1).JPGP1000542(1).JPGP1000543(1).JPGP1000546(1).JPGP1000547(1).JPG

The individual portions were then vacuumed bagged to enhance the bind. The trimmings were formed into a log and I'll put them in the circulator to finish.

Thanks rotuts. Here's the steak after spending the night under vacuum.

P1000550(1).JPG

And after the grill. Pretty good adhesion overall on the bacon.

P1000552(1).JPGP1000553(1).JPG

And the proof is in the pudding. Cooked to my wife's spec's with potatoes anna and wedge salad.

P1000555(1).JPG

I also cooked some feta sausage based on a recipe from Len Poli's site. A great resource for many different sausage formulations.

P1000557(1).JPG

Baby Octopus in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Bucatini. Something different for dinner and part of our Squid, Calamari and Octopus Cook-Off, here http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144640-cook-off-62-squid-calamari-and-octopus/page-2

036.JPG

thanks, C. sapidus.

Steve -- great guanciale. #IWantSome

patrick -- Dominican food is great stuff.

tonight -- three new dishes, one of which goes on permanent rotation.

8554074180_7275fd2631_z.jpg

Roasted winter fruit salad, with Chinese lap cheong sausage and leek greens

Roasted winter fruit salad -- grapes, Cara Cara oranges, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, fresh thyme. Roast at 350 F for 15 minutes.

Dressing -- 1 teaspoon fennel confit liquid (see below).

The leek greens are raw and were sliced into a chiffonade. Nice onion flavor that's not overwhelming.

8552972619_4928c3c9f2_z.jpg

Fennel confit

Adapted from this recipe, with changes below: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-fennel-l-28972

1/2 fennel bulb, sliced; 2 shallots, thinly sliced; 1 lemon, quartered; 1 tablespoon unsalted butter; 1/3 cup olive oil; sea salt, black pepper, peperoncini, fennel seeds. In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, add butter and olive oil; melt butter. Add fennel, lemon and shallots. Season with salt, pepper, peperoncini and fennel seeds. Cover tightly, then braise for one hour or until the fennel is soft and almost falling apart. You can serve as is, or process in a food processor until smooth. Garnish with chopped fennel greens.

It's a little sweet, a little savory and quite lively. I'll be using it all week.

And the confit liquid will make a killer vinaigrette base.

This will become part of my repertoire btw.

8554074482_8e5bbcf2ce_z.jpg

Green chard, with garlic, raisins and pine nuts

This is a variation of the tapa that typically contains spinach.

8554074366_c02957e611_z.jpg

Arctic char, with cockles and scallion broth

The char and the cockles were cooked separately, then plated.

Scallion broth consists of shallots that were sautéed in olive oil, to which was added chopped scallions, white wine and 3/4 lb. cockles; these were steamed until the cockles opened, about 3-4 minutes.

Steve, that is a beautiful potatoes Anna. It might be considered a little old fashioned these days, but I will still kill for those lovely golden potatoes and you have done a very good job. Can I come over for dinner? :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Soba – love, love, LOVE the egg and oyster dish!

Huiray – lovely noodles and wontons. That looks like the perfect, comforting late night meal.

Prawn – beautiful ribs. We just put a couple of racks in the freezer – I’ve finally convinced Mr. Kim to smoke ribs and can’t wait to have them.

Shane – your ravioli looks delicious and that tomato sauce looks so fresh! Did you make it from fresh tomatoes?

This weekend Mr. Kim made hot salt with kosher salt and sriracha:

med_gallery_3331_122_29253.jpg

My mom joined us for dinner night before last. I was trying an experiment. I made stuffing waffles:

med_gallery_3331_114_138599.jpg

Cornbread, white bread, celery, onions, poultry seasoning, etc. – all baked in a waffle. Topped with roast chicken and turkey gravy:

med_gallery_3331_114_133544.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_110919.jpg

Served with asparagus, cranberry sauce, Cook’s Country whipped potatoes and broccoli with hollandaise:

med_gallery_3331_114_93335.jpg

The gravy and cranberry sauce were in the freezer from Christmas. The stuffing waffles were fantastic. The potatoes were ok – a little light for my taste. Nice and fluffy and creamy and they tasted good, but I like a heftier whipped potato.

Kim: very nice cook.

The stuffing waffles are brilliant and Mr. Kim's hot salt is now on my "to do" list :smile:

The tomato sauce was made from canned whole tomates cooked down with some with wine

Simple but tasty, and stinks up the whole house :laugh:

Shane