• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

8535263291_83496d5012_z.jpg

"Eggs and oysters" -- fried oysters, poached farm egg, Swedish lumpfish caviar, sautéed watercress

8535263167_e6ca6fdff0_z.jpg

Sautéed watercress, wasabi furikake

8535263427_60e4057ffa_z.jpg

Spaghettini with scallops in garlic and parsley sauce

From "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (2012 edition, pages 185-186)

Very late "dinner" last night/early a.m. -- Chicken & shrimp wontons [Prime Food], blanched "Yu Choy Sum", skinny wonton noodles, chicken stock simmered a short while with some whole dried anchovies then poured off from the fish.

DSCN7904a_1k.jpg

SobaAddict70

your Ck w/ veg intrigued me as a few weeks ago America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country did a Ck w/Veg where they cut up the Ck and placed the pieces on the seasoned Veg and pan roasted it.

they used B.Sprouts which is unusual and looked a lot like your version, 'cut up'

its on my list!

had to also know your times for the veg!

Yum Yum!

Not the prettiest plating I know, but was just me at home, very hungry after a very long trip. Greed outvoted art.

Chicken poached with garlic and ginger; chillies stuffed with pork, wood ear fungus and scallion; Zhuang preserved lemon; rice.

IMG_3773.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Unpopular Poet - the beans were so good they needed no meat. I just sauted garlic and sage in olive oil, added the beans and water, and cooked them low and slow adding salt and fresh oregano halfway through.

In fact I was planning to puree the leftovers and serve them on crostinis last night, only to discover I'd eaten the rest while thinking about it!

Even though we're due more snow next week here in the UK, BBQ season has started! Here are some baby backs and spares to see in the spring:

20130216k.JPG

20130226g.JPG

More porky goodness. I very rarely cook for one so I was very much looking forward to a nice big juicy pork chop for myself. Simply pan fried and I threw some tong ho choi for a more balanced meal. Sesame miso dipping sauce on the side and a bowl of plain Japanese rice. My idea of comfort food.

20130225a.JPG

20130225b.JPG

Sick of pork yet? Another meal for one, albeit badly misjudged, I was so stuffed after this one. Pork tenderloin and kidney stirfried with kimchi, tong ho again (far too much) and a salted duck egg:

IMG_00848.jpg

and as a break from pork, Moroccan lamb tostadas!

20130308b.JPG

unpopular poet -- this pic might give you an idea, along the lines of what patrick mentions.

3490479668_fd20b7dc53_o.jpg

Broccoli rabe and heirloom beans with sourdough-garlic croutons and cheese

you can view the recipe here (note that I tend towards the lacto-ovo end of the vegetarian spectrum, so eggs and dairy figure quite prominently in my diet. the reason why I mention that is because, if you omit the butter and cheese from the recipe, it won't impact things all that much.): http://kitchenseasons.com/2009/05/01/slowly-simmered/

Thank you, Patrick. Your bean dishes, and Soba’s, are quite lovely.

Antwaan – beautiful fish!

Prawn – so do you like pork?

Paul – That is a gorgeous picture

Indian chicken with spinach (Saag murgh): Chicken marinated with garlic-ginger paste, yogurt, mint, fenugreek leaves, paprika, red pepper, garam masala, and nutmeg. The chicken was cooked with brown-fried onions and finished with milk and garam masala. Patak's hot mango chutney on top.

Mixed vegetable pilaf with peas, carrots, fried onion, chiles, cumin, black cardamom, garam masala, coconut milk, and cilantro.

p1469205096-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Ooh is that a Brill? Lovely fish, I had some tonight filleted, crumbed and deep fried.

Yes, brill. In NY it's helpful to refer to some fish (brill, john dory, some others that I'm blanking on) by their french name, because many of the fishmongers are quite sketchy with their product labeling (*cough* Citarella), e.g. labeling local silver dory as John Dory, petrale sole as brill, and greenland turbot as actual turbot. . . .

Tonight's dinner - sous vide beef cheeks on mashed potato. Sorry for the messy plating.

image.jpg

Recipe was adapted from http://movida.com.au/slowly-braised-beef-cheeks-in-pedro-ximenez-with-cauliflower-puree-carillera-de-buey/ Also added some rosemary sprigs and substituted normal sherry for the Pedro Ximenez. Seared the beef cheeks, prepared the sauce and then reduced it to approximately 300ml. Bagged the cheeks in pairs with the sauce and cooked for 9 hours at 81 degrees. Strained the bag juices and reduced it till glossy and thick.

Texture was fantastic, all of the collagen had melted and the meat was on the verge of falling apart and was wonderfully moist.

Simon.

Edited by Simon Lewinson (log)

Sorry for the messy plating.

I never eat ANYTHING that's not plated correctly! :wink:

Looks delicious

So it looks delicious - but will you EAT it? :-) I suspect you might have limited options with dinner invitations if you did not eat anything that was not plated correctly. :-D