• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

dcarch

[Moderator note: Well, that was quick! This topic became too large for our servers to handle, so we've divided it up; the earlier part of the discussion is here: Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)]

More than 150 amazing dishes have been posted since I last posted!

Here are a few my recent ones.

dcarch

Smoked pork chops

smokedporkchops_zps2263a7fe.jpg
smokedporkchops2_zps904d40c5.jpg

Mussels on mini eggplants
musselseggplants_zps52a500ae.jpg
musselseggplants2_zpsc624c773.jpg

Sous Vided Chicken Marsala with crispy skin, mini eggplants, bok choy, on orzo
chickenMarsala_zps07ae5b13.jpg
chickenMarsala2_zps91971261.jpg

• Like 1

8515379376_49d2d021b8_z.jpg

Savoy cabbage, potato and leek soup

The white stuff you see in the middle is a spoonful of Greek yogurt, with parsley and sea salt.

For folks who are curious, you can view the recipe here, courtesy of the excellent Deborah Madison -- http://www.illinoistimes.com/Springfield/article-10908-deborah-madisonrss-r.html

This is not a soup you want to make using stock, btw.

Next:

8515380934_918bd03736_z.jpg

Fusilli with peas, pancetta and ricotta

If you have "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking", the recipe for this is found on page 163 of the 2012 edition.

I think I'm going to have boatloads of fun with this book.

BTW, this took about 20 minutes to make from start to finish -- peas, pancetta, ricotta cheese, butter, sea salt, black pepper, Parm-Reg cheese and pasta.

As for the beet vinegar, here's what it looks like so far:

8514263993_d9c38a723e_z.jpg

Color's all right, but the taste isn't what I need it to be. I figure that's just an excuse to buy more beets; that way, I can get more peels.

@mm84321

You seem too be cooking quite a lot of turbot and doing it great!

I've never cooked any turbot myself, but would like to order one at the market. What minimum weight do you recommend to be able to cut those bone-in steaks from? What was the weight of this one for example?

@mm84321

I've never cooked any turbot myself, but would like to order one at the market. What minimum weight do you recommend to be able to cut those bone-in steaks from? What was the weight of this one for example?

Thanks. This was cut from the tail end of a 13 pound fish, but you don't need to buy one that large. 6 pounds is probably the smallest I'd go. Here are some that I cut from a 5.8 pound fish:

OjX2LIml.jpg

Thanks guys. Those mini eggplants are creamy, mild and delicious.

Those stems are beet stems. I like cooking beet leaves and stems separate becuase they require diffferent cooking time.

dcarch

Yes now on the big screen I can tell they are beet stems. I use the stems a lot and usually cook the greens and stems together but slice the stems very thin so they cook quickly. I think I like the stems better than the leaves.

Made some nice turkey wraps with the trussed smoked turkey breast I BBQed over the weekend.

8513599869_22cf5feab5_o.jpg

8513602971_b5be85eb53_o.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

@mm84321

Thanks. This was cut from the tail end of a 13 pound fish, but you don't need to buy one that large. 6 pounds is probably the smallest I'd go. Here are some that I cut from a 5.8 pound fish:

Thnx for your reply! 6 pounds minimum sounds good.

Edited by Hendrik (log)

There have been a lot of killer post lately. Patrick - that persian duck has me drooling. MM84321 and Baselerd posts continue to amaze. That photo by ScottyBoy of the salmon is my screen saver. The nice thing about egullet is that regardless of skill level the community is supportive and encourages us to expand our abilities.

about that grape molasses: they would have that at the same middle eastern stores I get my pom. molasses?

I love the pom. molasses and use it with cold water for a Personal Beverage.

Reuben with homemade corned beef

GEDC3878_zpseb07c11e.jpg

Hey Dave

This corn beef, was some of the best, I have ever tried(THE BEST homemade)

The taste, texture and flavours, were all outstanding

Thanks again, for bringing some to work, for me to try.

Going on my "to do" list :biggrin:

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

Shane.. I am glad you liked it. I am very happy with it and enjoying all the goodies I can make with it .. case in point.

Breakfast for supper corned beef hash with poached egg and green scotch bonnet hot sauce.

ca68eb50-bb82-425c-add1-605603db94dc_zps

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow