• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Grocery Store: right down the street.

rotuts

I was looking at the Kimchi Cookbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Kimchi-Cookbook-Traditional-Modern-Ways/dp/1607743353/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362076147&sr=1-1&keywords=kimchi+cookbook

which Im lucky to say is in my library system. I thought its about time I actually made something Ive

been thinking about for some time: bok choy Kimchi. Pretty simple. I had fresh baby BC. I looked

through the book and needed a few authentic Korean items. There is a small Korean grocery one

town over. I rarely go there as its not on my 'route' and a little more pricy than where I go. Im

talking Dimes. I wrote down what I needed : Korean Chili Flakes and Korean Fish Sauce.

I took my list in and asked about these. very few people go there and very little english is spoken, but

they understand English fairly well. I had the time of my life. I decided to ask about all sorts of stuff

on the shelf, exclusively Korean, not being interested in Japanese. Picked up about $50 of very

interesting stuff id never get to try any other way. On check-out I mentioned I was making Korean

kimchi bok choy. "Sea Salt?" I was asked. not for me, regular non-iodine was fine for me.

Stupid is as Stupid does. The owner showed me a selection. I asked which is best. its reasonably

priced.

To make a long story shorter. That store in on my route now.

If there is a Korean Grocery near you and small and not so busy: stop in. give them a try. you

might be very surprised. Skip the Japanese stuff. Ask what they use at home.

PS I plan to take the Kimchi I make there soon and ask their opinion with that book!

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)

one Pound of gochujang ! thats the 'hot pepper powder' lower R

Ive been using the paste for some time, the the Rx in the book uses the powder. looking forward to trying the fish sauce.