• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Found my post.  You are absolutely correct.  I can't recall what the dogs thought about it.  Sorry.  Gosh.  I am surprised.  Thanks, Anna. :$

When (if) broccoli is abundant, fresh and cheap again you might want to give it one more chance. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Like so many of us I have heard about the soup for years.  This is Gordon Ramsay's broccoli soup (made in the Thermomix).

It really, really is as amazing as is claimed. Broccoli, water, salt and pepper -- really?  Yep really. I added some goat cheese as suggested. Still shaking my head. 

Yes. I love it too.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So earlier did a chicken soup with more noodles than I like for Johnnybird and then a vegetarian soup for me with red lentils,shallot, leek, lentil and some other veg that I  pulled together from several different recipes.  Today it was a minestrone with some nice veg, white beans and dinosaur kale. 

I meant to do split pea but A) didn't have split peas and B) didn't have a ham bone.  PITA since no one I am married and/or related to the person I am married to likes ham so I no longer have access to ham bones....and there really is no substitute for me.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thai curry soup with extra lemon grass, ginger and coriander seeds. Some coconut milk separated and milk solids fried until brown and nutty, some more milk un-separated to emulsify the soup. A little tamarind paste + lemon juice to make it nicely tart. Hot soup was poured over pre-soaked rice vermicelli noodles and soft silken tofu. Topped with semi-hot chili, scallions and peanuts.

20160318_200518.thumb.jpg.922be620c0a8ba20160318_200209.thumb.jpg.e478ab3cb537a320160318_200123.thumb.jpg.59609597e5dfe5

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

I've wanted to try Gordon Ramsay's broccoli soup for a while, and after @Anna N posted about her making it, I got the motivation I needed.

This soup is quite nice. Considering how quick it is to make, I say it has a great value for time ratio. Also, the look of it is very nice.

At first, after I've just started blending the broccoli the soup tasted very blend, and I got a little worried, but after pureeing it a couple more minutes until very smooth the broccoli flavor came through strongly. It's a good thing to remember in any pasty or saucy application - cell damage = flavor ^_^

A big drizzle of lemon juice took the soup a step further, without it, the soup tasted somewhat flat. You also need to use plenty of pepper for it come through.

Iv'e topped the soup with a mixture of crumbled feta and pecorino (both are ewe's milk cheeses) and though tasty, I do think that goat cheese will fit slightly better, having a more distinct flavor. 

20160319_200456.jpg.810f34ca2234715d8d31

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8

~ Shai N.

I did a quick chicken and cavatelli soup the other night. I had roasted some chickens on Sunday and made the carcasses into stock.  When I got home I defatted the stock and simmered it with some sage, carrots and celery.  Cooked cavatelli in a separate pot and added that, with the leftover roast chicken and some parsley, plus lots of pepper.  Easy and comforting on a cold night, and the leftovers were good for lunch the next day too

56f3cd79d9611_chickencavatellisoup.thumb

• Like 8

Spring time minestrone. Fennel, leek, zucchini, red bell pepper, tomatoes, green fava beans, peas, rosemary, thyme, toasted ditalini pasta. After cooking Iv'e adde a sort of pesto made of basil, garlic, parsley, toasted almonds, fennel seeds, black pepper, lemon zest and juice.

20160326_202128.jpg20160326_202102.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

Never very photogenic but very tasty… Anthony Bourdain's mushroom soupimage.jpeg with a side of homemade bread.  

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 27/03/2016 at 3:04 AM, Anna N said:

Never very photogenic but very tasty… Anthony Bourdain's mushroom soup with a side of homemade bread.  

I'm sure it was very tasty. I find all soups difficult to photograph, but especially mushroom soup. It always seems to look like a muddy pond!

This one looks no better, but also tasted just fine. It is a leek and potato soup with a load of white pepper. I half blitzed it with the hand blender leaving some solid bits for texture. Finished it off with some Chinese chives just to make it look less like sludge.

soup.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Creamy roasted pepper and potato soup.  A little Harissa added because I could. Recipe adapted for the Instant Pot. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Creamy roasted pepper and potato soup.  A little Harissa added because I could. Recipe adapted for the Instant Pot. 

You've given me an idea @Anna N. I don't care much for capsicum, but I reckon this would work beautifully with pumpkin and Harissa. I have two huge jars of Harissa that are taking up fridge space. Happy days !

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Second day for enjoying loaded baked potato soup. No scallions or sour cream left in the refrigerator so dressed only with cheddar cheese and bacon.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

For those who have The Food Lab, there is a nice section on making vegetable soups.  It just covers the best techniques for getting a nice 'bright' vegetable soup.  What I learned from it was that I was overcooking my vegetables for pureed soups.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We're having a cold snap. It's freezing here, so pea and ham soup seemed like a good human antifreeze.

The soup mix I like contains several types of lentils, peas and pearl barley.

The ham hock was sawn in half by the butcher. I sweat finely diced onions, carrot and celery until soft, added a generous fresh bouquet garni of bay leaves, celery leaves, parsley, rosemary and thyme, then the soaked legumes, the hocks, peeled and diced swede, plus enough water to cover by several centimetres. Simmer for about two hours. Remove the herbs and ham, cool, shred and return the meat you haven't sampled, plus lots of fresh pepper.

This will be served with grated parmesan and crusty bread.

image.jpeg

• Like 8

that's funny @sartoric "great minds" I didn't even know there was a soup thread.

A few weeks ago my wife asked me to make something,   Oh god I have to say it... "Vegetarian" (shudders) For the Monks down the road where she meditates.  Also had to be Vegan.  We had a few good ideas I was keen to try but Lindy wanted pumpkin soup.  Btw. Not allowed to use any "pungent" like Onions...

WP_20160610_15_24_09_Pro.jpg

Butternut pumpkin roasted with cumin, S&P.

WP_20160610_20_08_58_Pro.jpg

Blended with some potato, coconut milk, water, coriander, chili etc..  I forgot the rest. Sorry.

It was very nice but would have been better with onions & garlic.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Svekolnik - a cold soup of beet and buttermilk. Dill weed, scallions, cumbers, all thinly sliced. Lots of blackpepper, a little dill blossoms and aniseed. Served over ice cubes, with not-quite-hard boiled eggs and sour cream.

20160702_203127.jpg20160702_203450.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, shain said:

Svekolnik - a cold soup of beet and buttermilk. Dill weed, scallions, cumbers, all thinly sliced. Lots of blackpepper, a little dill blossoms and aniseed. Served over ice cubes, with not-quite-hard boiled eggs and sour cream.

Very pretty!  I like the ice cube idea.  Eating a lukewarm soup that should be served quite cold is much worse to me than one that should be hot. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It is that time of year again here in southern Ontario.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Soup of the Bakony Outlaws

Do not even think about it if you do not have a decent knife and lots of time to prep lots of vegetables. But it is oh so good.

image.jpeg

Cauliflower-cheddar soup made mostly in the Instant Pot and then pureed in the Thermomix. At first I thought I would get cheffy and put it through a strainer  but that got old awfully fast.   Crispy bacon bits and some more shredded cheddar will bring it to life when it is ready to be served.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

As I was cleaning out the freezer this week, I discovered several packages of frozen caramlized onions. A couple of weeks ago, I made beef stock. I feel French onion soup coming on.

One of the chief reasons I love fall and winter is soup.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Cleaning out the freezer last week I took out a package of chicken bones and one of vegetable scraps so made stock.  With the stock I used up some rice noodles and roasted chicken breast to make soup.  Added leeks, carrots and parsnips and have been eating it for breakfast the last few days.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites