Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)


Recommended Posts

Reporting back on my cabbage soup. Came out really good, actually. I did end up caramelizing a bunch of onions (instead of dumping everything into a pot). Other ingredients: celery, carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning (dried herbs mixture), crushed red pepper (gochugaru is what I used), smoked paprika, soy sauce (in place of salt), canned diced tomatoes, and cabbage. I like cabbage rolls and this soup reminds me of cabbage rolls (comforting).

 

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.d15daaf035c0d184861c13095925720e.jpeg

 

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Reporting back on my cabbage soup. Came out really good, actually. I did end up caramelizing a bunch of onions (instead of dumping everything into a pot). Other ingredients: celery, carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning (dried herbs mixture), crushed red pepper (gochugaru is what I used), smoked paprika, soy sauce (in place of salt), canned diced tomatoes, and cabbage. I like cabbage rolls and this soup reminds me of cabbage rolls (comforting).

 

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.d15daaf035c0d184861c13095925720e.jpeg

 

That looks tasty.  Did you use a regular white cabbage or Savoy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Tad past Persian New Year but Ashe Reshte is on my mind. I first had it locally and did some decent replications. I am fridge and freezer foraging for a similar soup for tomorrow. Good on greens and beans and kinda ok on herbs. In terms of noodles I am going rogue and using elbow macaroni as I like the chew and it holds up to reheat and freeze. Having trouble with kashk sub. This is an intense craving in general. We shall see. Input appreciated. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, heidih said:

Tad past Persian New Year but Ashe Reshte is on my mind. I first had it locally and did some decent replications. I am fridge and freezer foraging for a similar soup for tomorrow. Good on greens and beans and kinda ok on herbs. In terms of noodles I am going rogue and using elbow macaroni as I like the chew and it holds up to reheat and freeze. Having trouble with kashk sub. This is an intense craving in general. We shall see. Input appreciated. 

 

I never made this dish (though it's on my to do list, so I'd love to hear your input once you make it). I think that since the kashk is rehydrated, than you can substitute it with a "fresh" product - you just need to nail the flavor profile. Kashk develops cheese like flavors since it's aged. I would go with a strong flavored labaneh if you can get it. You might also be able to ACH good results by using regular yogurt/labaneh along with a bit of a mildly funky cheese, maybe Pecorino.

  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shain said:

 

I never made this dish (though it's on my to do list, so I'd love to hear your input once you make it). I think that since the kashk is rehydrated, than you can substitute it with a "fresh" product - you just need to nail the flavor profile. Kashk develops cheese like flavors since it's aged. I would go with a strong flavored labaneh if you can get it. You might also be able to ACH good results by using regular yogurt/labaneh along with a bit of a mildly funky cheese, maybe Pecorino.

 

Thanks. You have a good sense of flavors. I can get it at local Persian markets but not able to get to them now. Will try to drain a goat yogurt and add some funky cheese which I can get. Do keep it on your "to do' long list. It has that mother's milk comfort with enough flavor variety to keep it interesting for a single person eating it multiple times from one batch.   Los Angeles does have an area known as Tehrangeles  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrangeles

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought this bundle of congealed pig blood with garlic chives and chilli.

 

blood1.thumb.jpg.4bedc2a681ad11a8aaa7757bc574813e.jpg

 

Here it is spread out to separate the components.

 

blood2.thumb.jpg.d97d4d52d55712f2578d0cd895870841.jpg

 

Then cooked it in a garlicky, chicken stock with a little MSG.

 

blood3.thumb.jpg.b93e9946da0e5950a7a868c350799982.jpg

 

Delicious.

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...