• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

@Darienne Putting my thoughts about alternative medicine as aside. I think that making a soup out of cherry tomatoes is a bit of a waste. Why not roast them as others suggested, then use for roasted tomato salad. Maybe with croutons or pasta. Some feta or shaved Parmesan. Maybe a stew? Over polenta, or with bread? You can add the roasted peppers you mentioned. Maybe add eggs and make a shakshuka out of it. Or sticking with the idea of soup, keep them halved and add some chickpeas/lentils, or grains, maybe with some leafy greens. I hope some of this will give you ideas. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@Darienne - you may have noticed Liuzhou and some others using lettuce in soups.  Example  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160119-breakfast-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2268071

I've made lettuce soup before and we loved it.  It's not really a 'meal' though.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Darienne  Why not go ahead and cook the tomatoes in some broth or whatever liquid you use for the soup and then run it through a food mill?  Then finish the soup with whatever else you were going to put in there.  

Food mill is good.  Like making apple sauce.  I'm going to try that one.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

2 hours ago, shain said:

@Darienne Putting my thoughts about alternative medicine as aside. I think that making a soup out of cherry tomatoes is a bit of a waste. Why not roast them as others suggested, then use for roasted tomato salad. Maybe with croutons or pasta. Some feta or shaved Parmesan. Maybe a stew? Over polenta, or with bread? You can add the roasted peppers you mentioned. Maybe add eggs and make a shakshuka out of it. Or sticking with the idea of soup, keep them halved and add some chickpeas/lentils, or grains, maybe with some leafy greens. I hope some of this will give you ideas. 

Thanks Shai.  Some good ideas from you.  I'll pass on the eggs though sitting in a mixture though...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

13 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Thanks Shai.  Some good ideas from you.  I'll pass on the eggs though sitting in a mixture though...

No problem, though I don't understand the last part... Is "eggs sitting in a mixture" a scathing description of shakshuka? 😁

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

No problem, though I don't understand the last part... Is "eggs sitting in a mixture" a scathing description of shakshuka? 😁

I had a bad experience with eggs a number of years ago...I mean really horrible...and it took me a long time to accept eating them again at all.  And only cooked in certain ways.  It's not a scathing criticism of shakshuka at all...it's my own personal difficulty in eating eggs in that format. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

• 1 month later...

Roasted sunchoke, pumpkin and chickpeas soup. Also: roasted carrots, spinach added right before serving so that it is lightly blanched. Flavored with rosemary; spices fried, ground and added towards the end: bay, cumin, coriander seeds, fenugreek, chili; garlic, turmeric, paprika.

PXL_20201117_195244040.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:51 AM, shain said:

Roasted sunchoke, pumpkin and chickpeas soup. Also: roasted carrots, spinach added right before serving so that it is lightly blanched. Flavored with rosemary; spices fried, ground and added towards the end: bay, cumin, coriander seeds, fenugreek, chili; garlic, turmeric, paprika.

PXL_20201117_195244040.jpg
sewing

Wow! Such an unusual ingredients for me. Really interested to make it. Eating all my soups with sour cream, would it fit?

Edited by SarahPorta (log)
  • Like 2
57 minutes ago, SarahPorta said:

Wow! Such an unusual ingredients for me. Really interested to make it. Eating all my soups with sour cream, would it fit?

I'll post the recipe later. I love soup with sour cream (I'm half Hungarian after all :p), but haven't tried this one with it. Try it first without.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.