• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FrogPrincesse

The Soup Topic (2013–)

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My lovage in the garden is beautiful and I normally don't use it for much.

Decided to try a 'celery' soup.  No picture because it is just a pureed green soup.

I used onions, confit garlic, celery stalk and leaves, lovage stalks, some green onion, parsley stalks, and brown rice for thickening.  Sauteed the veggies but reserved all the lovage leaves for later.

Then I cooked for 20 minutes with chicken stock and pureed the soup in my Vitamix putting a couple of handfuls of lovage leaves in at the end.  Doing it this way keeps the green colour vibrant rather than army green.

What a delicious soup....tastes of spring.  I will make some crispy garnish....some tortilla strips fried until golden.

Thanks for this. My lovage hasn't come up yet, but it's a prolific plant and I need to find more ways to use it.

Posted (edited)

Glad more lovage will be loved!

I am going to make more but this time I will try using more of the stems.  I thought they might be bitter....maybe I'll just cook them separately and see what that's like...then add some of the other ingredients but the key is blending the leaves at the end.  It is really a beautiful green.

Found this nice looking recipe.  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/herb-bed/lovage-recipes-anyone_63010.html

That looks like a lot of rice.  I will use the lemon zest and juice idea as well as the chives.  I also have some garlic scape puree in the freezer........

Wild Garlic, Lemon & Lovage Soup

Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped 
1 bunch wild garlic, finely chopped (Or, chives finely chopped) 
1/2 head celery, finely copped 
2 stems fresh lovage, finely chopped (Or, 1/2 teaspoon dried lovage) 
1 lemon, grated zest and juice 
200g rice 
1 litre vegetable stock 
salt and pepper, to season 
a little butter or vegetable oil for sweating the vegetables 

Add the chopped onion, wild garlic and celery to a large saucepan with a little butter or oil and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the rice and stir before adding the vegetable stock, chopped lovage, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper to season. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and vegetables are soft.

Check the seasoning before serving in warm soup bowls with crusty bread and/or croutons.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Chicken stock going on the stove.

John got back from England quite sick and ate the homemade chicken noodle soup that was stocked in the freezer in Poughkeepsie for breakfast.  I figure : a) it's cool, damp and yucky here today and b) I figure I'm going to make more chicken noodle soup  for him.  Sounds like a good time to make stock.

• Like 3

I made a batch of lovage spring soup.

The ingredients...the little tubs are garlic scapes from last year and sorrel oil also from last year.  I included fresh chives; the large lovage stalks (these are VERY FIBROUS but not bitter at all), small lovage stems, celery, onion, sorrel leaves and lovage leaves for the end.

The soup before and after cooking.  It gets 'army' green with heat.

In the blender with a comparison of what the soup looks like when it is blended with the raw sorrel and lovage leaves.

Finished product....it will need diluting with chicken stock before eating but will take up less space in the freezer.

DSC03007.thumb.jpg.041c97e2d3e614f7573fd6eeae95c4b0.jpgDSC03010.thumb.jpg.a33c285abe2cc6edc1b527a107be05ae.jpgDSC03013.thumb.jpg.6ce689ff02f79a8e72d9e327fff75ba3.jpgDSC03015.thumb.jpg.97aad02a336cd6977fe617aae8985f77.jpgDSC03014.thumb.jpg.1b0bb33818054b2fdf05144251974129.jpgDSC03016.thumb.jpg.54e3f9c5691cd80aa84a4a2be7306d9c.jpg

• Like 7

Hungarian mushroom soup, with a touch of cream, hot paprika, toasted dried sweet chilies, dill. Sour cream. Crusty bread.

IMG_20190412_144640.jpg

IMG_20190412_144743.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

I brought home some take-out from a neighborhood restaurant a few days ago.  It was prime rib vegetable soup.  It was SO good I decided to make a pot of my own (using chuck roast).

I bought tons of vegetables, from kale, leek, corn, turnip, green beans, carrots, celery and potatoes.  My gosh it is so good.  Best soup I think I've ever made.  Just hit the spot on a cool day with some homemade bread.

• Like 4

John finished off the chicken noodle soup and didn't want me to make more of "that smelly stock since we can't open the windows" the other day(he is afraid the smell of any cooking will get onto his clothes and attract animals if he is in the woods - don't ask).  Fine.  Vegetable stock, star anise, cinnamon stick(half), smashed garlic clove, bay leaf, chopped lemongrass.  Infuse for  minutes or so, strain.  Bring up to a high simmer.  Add chopped shrimp and minced shallot.  Turn off.  Add precooked gluten free rice noodles, minced scallions, and a drizzle of sesame oil.  

• Like 3