• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

@shain - would you mind sharing the recipe?

That is one soup I have never made, but always enjoyed!

Yes, please! 

I tried making it once or twice, but that must have been years ago, and the recipes I used weren't as tasty as the soup versions I had other places. When it's good, it's one of my favourite meals. 

• Like 1

This soup has so many variations.  I used to use Bolt’s Mulligatawny paste for the base with only onion, tomatoes, chicken or lamb stock and cubed lamb.  Cannot get that commercial paste anymore so I have a spice mixture that is close.  But no Apple, celery, etc in my Mulli-soup.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

But no Apple, celery, etc in my Mulli-soup.

See,  and this is purely personal, mulligatawny soup without apple is just another creature altogether.  Perhaps because I was young and inexperienced finding apple in soup was so surprising that it became the hallmark for me.  The best I ever had was served in a hospital cafeteria believe it or not.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8D75F835-BE6B-4E4E-A112-BF2658EB1485.thumb.jpeg.f4b6c0d713dc35a2012dd59f209e9483.jpeg

Turkey, Vegetable, Rice Soup. The turkey and rice are in there, they just sank to the bottom of the bowl! I made the stock for the soup from our Christmas turkey carcass in my Instant Pot. Then made the rice, using some of the stock as the liquid, in my rice cooker. Sweated the Vegetables (onion, celery and carrot) in a bit of olive oil, then added the stock and some leftover chicken broth, and brought it to a boil, then simmered for about 15 minutes, finally added the diced turkey and heated through. To serve - I put the still warm rice in the bowl and ladled the soup over the rice. We had this for dinner last night, lunch today, and will have it again for dinner tonight! I love soup! I need to make it more often!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 14

On 12/29/2018 at 5:21 AM, shain said:

@TicTac @FauxPas

Recipe here:

First time I had this delicious soup was in an Indian restaurant in Yorkshire, England. It was called Mulligatawny Soup, but it was not so thick and served with a slice of lemon. We loved it!
But I wanted more body when I tried to make it, and it ended up looking like shain's, but without coconut milk. I guess it ended up more of a creamed curry lentil soup. That was a favourite with our musician friends who came to jam sessions at our banquet hall and later in our basement.
I have curry leaves and everything else in my fridge at the moment. I'll be making this on the weekend!

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Just checking...that isn't kale is it?

9 hours ago, heidih said:

I think it is just curly parsley in the gremolata. Great idea by the way

Yes - just parsley, garlic, lemon zest and olive oil, all minced. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:14 PM, robirdstx said:

8D75F835-BE6B-4E4E-A112-BF2658EB1485.thumb.jpeg.f4b6c0d713dc35a2012dd59f209e9483.jpeg

Turkey, Vegetable, Rice Soup. 

i love your soup bowl.  

Yesterday was cold and rainy.  I made classic tomato soup and popovers.  My nephew had three bowls

1869997742_tomatosoup.thumb.jpg.e55a64ab87e19600f224226d478e3718.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Yesterday was cold and rainy.  I made classic tomato soup and popovers.  My nephew had three bowls

1869997742_tomatosoup.thumb.jpg.e55a64ab87e19600f224226d478e3718.jpg

You know, I've never even made tomato soup...    Seems incredible, doesn't it?

Could either liamsaunt or some other eGer point me to a favorite recipe please. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I'm not @liamsaunt, but I really like making a slightly spicy tomato soup. I sauté diced celery (1 stalk), onion (one small or half of one), carrot (optional but a small one) in a bit of olive oil. Once softened, I add a 28 oz can of good quality whole tomatoes and the same amount of chicken stock or more, depending on how tomato-ey I want it. Sprinkle in some hot red pepper flakes to taste and any other spices/herbs/garlic you may wish (I like to add a sprinkle of Costco's Kirkland brand Organic No-Salt Seasoning blend. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and then use an immersion blender to smooth it out. 

Edited by FauxPas
to correct onion amount (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@liamsaunt,  your soup looks wonderful.  I wish I could taste it!!  Unfortunately with this bronchitis I seem not to be able to taste ANYTHING.

@Darienne, the Ina Garten recipe is great for this time of year.  If you happen to have fresh, at the peak of their taste tomatoes you might like to try this recipe:  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/127973-tomato-rice-soup/?do=findComment&comment=1696605

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

.I'm so cold right now (hands stiff) that the old can of "fire roasted tomatoes" (step mom purchase) simmered with garlic and immmersion blended with the dregs of the cottage cheese sounds good. Toasted homemade bread  heel on the side.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, Darienne said:

I used the classic tomato soup recipe from Cook's Country.  I can't link to the original because all the ATK recipes are behind a paywall, but I found the exact recipe on someone's foodblog. The only difference I see is that she used evaporated milk but the recipe calls for heavy cream:  http://goodetaste.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-favorite-tomato-soup-recipe.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2