• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Reporting back on my cabbage soup. Came out really good, actually. I did end up caramelizing a bunch of onions (instead of dumping everything into a pot). Other ingredients: celery, carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning (dried herbs mixture), crushed red pepper (gochugaru is what I used), smoked paprika, soy sauce (in place of salt), canned diced tomatoes, and cabbage. I like cabbage rolls and this soup reminds me of cabbage rolls (comforting).

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.d15daaf035c0d184861c13095925720e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

14 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Reporting back on my cabbage soup. Came out really good, actually. I did end up caramelizing a bunch of onions (instead of dumping everything into a pot). Other ingredients: celery, carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning (dried herbs mixture), crushed red pepper (gochugaru is what I used), smoked paprika, soy sauce (in place of salt), canned diced tomatoes, and cabbage. I like cabbage rolls and this soup reminds me of cabbage rolls (comforting).

That looks tasty.  Did you use a regular white cabbage or Savoy?

• 4 weeks later...

Tad past Persian New Year but Ashe Reshte is on my mind. I first had it locally and did some decent replications. I am fridge and freezer foraging for a similar soup for tomorrow. Good on greens and beans and kinda ok on herbs. In terms of noodles I am going rogue and using elbow macaroni as I like the chew and it holds up to reheat and freeze. Having trouble with kashk sub. This is an intense craving in general. We shall see. Input appreciated. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Tad past Persian New Year but Ashe Reshte is on my mind. I first had it locally and did some decent replications. I am fridge and freezer foraging for a similar soup for tomorrow. Good on greens and beans and kinda ok on herbs. In terms of noodles I am going rogue and using elbow macaroni as I like the chew and it holds up to reheat and freeze. Having trouble with kashk sub. This is an intense craving in general. We shall see. Input appreciated. 

I never made this dish (though it's on my to do list, so I'd love to hear your input once you make it). I think that since the kashk is rehydrated, than you can substitute it with a "fresh" product - you just need to nail the flavor profile. Kashk develops cheese like flavors since it's aged. I would go with a strong flavored labaneh if you can get it. You might also be able to ACH good results by using regular yogurt/labaneh along with a bit of a mildly funky cheese, maybe Pecorino.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I never made this dish (though it's on my to do list, so I'd love to hear your input once you make it). I think that since the kashk is rehydrated, than you can substitute it with a "fresh" product - you just need to nail the flavor profile. Kashk develops cheese like flavors since it's aged. I would go with a strong flavored labaneh if you can get it. You might also be able to ACH good results by using regular yogurt/labaneh along with a bit of a mildly funky cheese, maybe Pecorino.

Thanks. You have a good sense of flavors. I can get it at local Persian markets but not able to get to them now. Will try to drain a goat yogurt and add some funky cheese which I can get. Do keep it on your "to do' long list. It has that mother's milk comfort with enough flavor variety to keep it interesting for a single person eating it multiple times from one batch.   Los Angeles does have an area known as Tehrangeles  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrangeles

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this bundle of congealed pig blood with garlic chives and chilli.

blood1.thumb.jpg.4bedc2a681ad11a8aaa7757bc574813e.jpg

Here it is spread out to separate the components.

blood2.thumb.jpg.d97d4d52d55712f2578d0cd895870841.jpg

Then cooked it in a garlicky, chicken stock with a little MSG.

blood3.thumb.jpg.b93e9946da0e5950a7a868c350799982.jpg

Delicious.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 4/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, MokaPot said:

This made me want to make Halupki soup.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Butternut squash with red quinoa, made with half coconut milk/half chicken broth.

Might even have to try it.  The coconut milk and red quinoa parts got me. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

19 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Might even have to try it.  The coconut milk and red quinoa parts got me. 

I cut up and roasted the squash prior to adding it to the broth. Adds a nice depth of flavor. Quinoa was cooked separately and added into the pureed soup.

Edited by BeeZee
Added comment (log)
  • Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Took the leftovers from a chicken made 2 (or 3?) nights ago and made soup.

IMG_5435.thumb.jpeg.be4cef6d250f1ffaf7df9bae5601c902.jpeg

Sweated leeks, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, garlic in olive oil and butter. Added 2 quarts of homemade chicken stock, and the bones from the picked chicken, which simmered for 45 minutes. Partially cooked ditalini and the picked chicken went in and simmered for a minute or two.Then made a giant mess by actually plating the soup...

IMG_5436.thumb.jpeg.0d376898bc514f11797f313a8f5b3a32.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

As it's finally gotten cool, I thawed out a quart of tomato soup I'd frozen back when tomatoes were still coming in. A mug of that, with a grilled cheese sandwich (provolone, havarti and American), made a reasonable Sunday lunch.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 5 weeks later...

Carcass, uneaten leg, neck and the usual scraps are simmering away right now. Couldn't happen at a better time, since I am feeling sorry for myself and my dislocated finger. Of course the timing of turkey soup isn't exactly random. Falling down the stairs is, however.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Yesterday a head of broccoli was staring at me with one soft spot. SO>>> day before as stepmother was about to throw out the broth from some simmered turkey necks and chicken backs because she didn't like it I repurposed it. It was flat because she did it in the crockpot and does not get that no evaporation occurs in there and she went low salt due to dad's recent hear surgery. i simmered it with 2 large smoked turkey drumettes that had a few shreds of meat on them. There were a few shreds of turkey meat in there also.  Removed bones and chilled overnight. It gelled nicely.  Yesterday I started some onion, garlic, dry mustard and lots of black pepper in coconut cream, added the chopped up broccoli head and let it get quite soft. Used immersion blender to smooth out, and swirled in some yogurt. It was excellent and probably a one-off as that broth won't happen the same again. Finished the whole pot over the course of late afternoon/evening. No photo as just pale green in a white bowl. I enjoy mustard with cruciferous vegetables. 

• Like 5

Winter is definitely soup time at the McAuleys.  Big time.  Yesterday made several containers of Albondigas and several of Harira.  A few days before it was whatever was left in the fridge at the time soup.  Plus some mystery meat from the kitchen fridge freezer.  Delicious none the less.  The cellar freezer (we have four altogether) is full of soups.  Soup is our every second day supper, while salad is the other.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.