• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

I've been hitting the soups hard since the cold weather moved in -- chili, vegetable beef soup, beef stew, and yesterday I made a pot of posole. I remembered I reduced the amount of pepper - -it calls for a tablespoon of ancho powder and a tablespoon of chipotle powder, and I went with the full tablespoon of ancho and cut the chipotle to a half-tablespoon. It's still a bit too spicy for me. Not inedible, but ... warmer than I prefer. Any way to tone it down?

Being that RG is out of hominy, I ordered some from Camellia Beans. Biggest grains of hominy I think I ever saw. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've been hitting the soups hard since the cold weather moved in -- chili, vegetable beef soup, beef stew, and yesterday I made a pot of posole. I remembered I reduced the amount of pepper - -it calls for a tablespoon of ancho powder and a tablespoon of chipotle powder, and I went with the full tablespoon of ancho and cut the chipotle to a half-tablespoon. It's still a bit too spicy for me. Not inedible, but ... warmer than I prefer. Any way to tone it down?

Being that RG is out of hominy, I ordered some from Camellia Beans. Biggest grains of hominy I think I ever saw. 

Adding more acid?  I'd add more tomatoes.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

It's still a bit too spicy for me. Not inedible, but ... warmer than I prefer. Any way to tone it down? 

If you simmer the soup with a cut up potato, the potato will absorb some of the spice (you remove the potato once jts done).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

15 hours ago, BeeZee said:

If you simmer the soup with a cut up potato, the potato will absorb some of the spice (you remove the potato once jts done).

I had wondered about that. I'll try it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I call this a soup, but I suppose it could go in a lot of categories.  I made this recipe last February and looking out at a good amount of snow in my region, it's that time of year to make this hot bowl of spicy, steaming soup.  This is the vegetarian version, but I also like it with some Chinese barbecued pork or pork sausage.  Really anything you have on hand is good in this soup.

Spicy Korean Vegetarian Bibimguksu 

Spicy Vegetarian Bibimguksu Bowl.JPG

For the broth-

6 cups vegetable broth

1/2 cup Korean Doenjang soybean paste

2 tbsp. Korean Gochujang red chile paste

1 tbsp. soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced

8 oz. Pad Thai rice noodles

3 cups chopped organic power greens

1 cup fresh bean sprouts

1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 cup carrot, julienne

1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil

1 tbsp. Vietnamese fried garlic

1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Boil Pad Thai noodles just until soft, about 2 minutes. Drain.

Heat a saucepot over medium-high heat.  Pour in the vegetable stock, then stir in the Korean Doenjang and the Korean Gochujang paste, soy sauce and garlic.  Add the

Pad Thai rice noodles.  

Add the organic power greens, bean sprouts, red bell pepper, carrot and sesame oil to the saucepot and stir to combine with the broth and noodles. 

Pour the hot Bibimguksu broth and noodles into serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with fried garlic and toasted sesame seeds.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

On 2/15/2021 at 3:39 PM, kayb said:

While I don't think it's a normal accompaniment for posole, what about sour cream, or Mexican crema? My green chile stew last night was an overspicy disaster until I added sour cream.

Hmm, maybe a dollop of guacamole would achieve the same effect of toning down the heat.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.eebbb5987e72f7d20c333d214fc39d28.jpeg

I don't remember the name of these RG black beans (not the standard ones and currently not shown on the site), but they're quite small and hold their shape even after a couple of hours of cooking/reheating.

Significant Eater's possibly favorite soup. House made crème fraîche and avocado to garnish.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't remember the name of these RG black beans (not the standard ones and currently not shown on the site), but they're quite small and hold their shape even after a couple of hours of cooking/reheating.

Significant Eater's possibly favorite soup. House made crème fraîche and avocado to garnish.

Do you add spice heat during cooking or at table or both? Preferences?

I used some chipotle powder making the soup. Added to the pan just as the vegetables were softened but before the beans and liquid went in. Water mostly, some vegetable stock. A few hot sauces on the table, from RG to locally made by some favorite restaurants.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I made leek & potato soup from The Taste of Belgium.  Flavor was fine, however I would have preferred a smoother texture.  I believe the remainder is headed to the Blendtec.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Unusually cold and rainy here. Lamb shank bone stock, tiny bit of leftover lamb and gravy tucked in freezer, mustard, carrots (complement lamb sweetness), tofu, and udon noodles. Very satisfying. Sriracha in serving bowl(s)

soup (2).JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 2/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, weinoo said:

IMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.eebbb5987e72f7d20c333d214fc39d28.jpeg

Perhaps the beans were the Frijol Negrol Santanero from Oaxaca? I have one package, and they are quite small. I actually forgot I had them, so I am due for some black bean soup.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to visit (socially distanced of course) my niece at college this weekend and have been making some soups for her to keep in the freezer for nights when nothing at the dining hall appeals.  This was today's batch: sweet potatoes, carrots, ginger, apples and chicken stock with a little cream.

1981334676_sweetpotatosoup.thumb.jpg.eee29820e7ec5338401e0bd3fdac808b.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can't imagine the trauma of going from your exquisite cooking to a college dining hall!  

Haha!  She is not very happy with the options, that is for sure.  It's partly because of covid though. A lot of the places on campus that offer more interesting choices, like sushi for example, are closed right now.  That said, it's not as bad as last semester, when the dining hall served the same meal every night (rice, stir fried vegetables, and choice of chicken, pork, or tofu). She ate a lot of cereal.

• Like 2

Made clear vegetable soup for Passover (chicken soup style). Lot's of veggies (carrots, zucchini, cabbage, parsley roots, celery, celeriac, kohlrabi) and herbs (dill, parsley). With freshly made egg noodles and pepper.

I plan on making kneidlach as (matzo balls) well.

PXL_20210326_123921530.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

I made a Mexican meatball soup last night, which was nearly ruined due to too many chilis in it.  Not ruined forever -- it can be fixed, but it couldn't be fixed in time to actually eat last night.

But besides that, having dealt with all of the random bones in my freezer, I am now fully stocked, to wit:  chicken stock; beef stock; smoked pork hock stock;  smoked pork neckbone stock; and unsmoked pork bone stock. 

I've never made that last, but a whole lot of bones came with the side of pig I picked up last week.  It reduced into a truly ghastly color, but tastes fine.  

So, I guess it's good that I'm one of these people who eats soup all summer, cause there's gonna be plenty of it up in here.  

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas on how to make this cabbage soup actually taste good. Got into some bad eating habits during Covid times and want to reset. This is the video that inspired me to try this diet. I bought some Lipton onion soup mix to bump up the flavor, if necessary, plus an Italian seasoning mix (dried herbs mix). I like the easiness of the technique / recipe on this video (dumping everything into a pot) and would prefer not to be browning vegetables in oil. (I realize browning the vegetables would make the soup taste better, but I'm lazy here.) Thank you!

As a minimal dish person who also likes the browning chop onion, garlic - onto piece o Reynolds and into toaster oven. phish sauce, soy, sauce, chicken powder and bean pastes like miso add depth. You can also broil the cabbage a bit.  I won't get into diet philosophies but even WW advocates inclusion o phat. Personally do not like tomato w/ cabbage. I do like sharp mustard with cabbage. Pretty annoying video host and the salt phobia irks me. This was so so popular number years ago. Like get rich quick schemes...not a long hauler

• Like 1

Thanks, Heidi. I'm planning on eating more than just this soup. E.g., I won't be having this soup for breakfast. (I know my limits.)

I do have fish sauce, so I will use that. I need to shop, so maybe I'll get some miso paste or some of the miso soup packets.

Packets tend to be seaweed which is great but not much miso. Also leek or green onion has more complexity. Parsley  sprites things up - Italian please. Also acid at service - vinegars, lemon  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas on how to make this cabbage soup actually taste good. Got into some bad eating habits during Covid times and want to reset. This is the video that inspired me to try this diet. I bought some Lipton onion soup mix to bump up the flavor, if necessary, plus an Italian seasoning mix (dried herbs mix). I like the easiness of the technique / recipe on this video (dumping everything into a pot) and would prefer not to be browning vegetables in oil. (I realize browning the vegetables would make the soup taste better, but I'm lazy here.) Thank you!

I used to make vats of this and take it to work for lunch.   I didn't follow the rest of the diet.  I love tomatoes with cabbage, though.  I definitely used chicken broth -low fat.  And, I always squeezed a fresh lemon in after heating.  Lawry's Salt and black pepper.  

• Like 2

Thanks, guys. I have some balsamic vinegar, so will add that. I'll put some smoked paprika - I think that's a major ingredient in the Lawry's.

I like the mixture of tomatoes and cabbage as well. Glad to hear people don't follow this diet so strictly. I know that I would not be able to eat only this soup all day.

I'll be curious to read what you put in your soup.  I used to love cabbage soup, with tomatoes, but I haven't had it in years.  I'd use chicken broth, not water, and I'd also use the celery tops.

• Like 4