• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

I saved a couple of recipes for lettuce soup in the interest of using up past their prime salad greens. Made one today which included romaine, peas (to use up some frozen peas) and potatoes to thicken. Put some celery tops in for good measure. Not at all photogenic, when DH asked what kind of soup I was making, I said “green”, but I think the color would more charitably be called “khaki”. It’s tasty enough, if a bit plain...would benefit from some salty/crunchy garnish (bacon comes to mind, but we don’t eat it).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

59 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

It’s tasty enough, if a bit plain...would benefit from some salty/crunchy garnish (bacon comes to mind, but we don’t eat it).

The joy and fun of playing with various croutons or cheese toast alongside. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, heidih said:

The joy and fun of playing with various croutons or cheese toast alongside. 

Last night I made croutons from Kenji's The Food Lab for a caesar salad.  These croutons would go very well with soup.  And probably will.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 12/26/2020 at 12:38 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My first blender soup!  Inspired by a recipe I found on the Vita-mix website:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes/beetroot-tomato-macadamia-nut-soup

I used chicken stock instead of water, and I added a red onion and a garlic clove.  Having no macadamia nuts I substituted red walnuts.  Vita-mix calls for cutting the beets in half but I am lazy and I have a good blender.  I simply threw the stuff in whole and pushed the soup button.

Soup12262020.png

Possibly the best soup I have made.

Jo, I was excited to make this soup.  Unfortunately my beets had gone around the block a few too many times so it turned out less than great.  I’ll give another go when I have some nice, fresh beets.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, lindag said:

Jo, I was excited to make this soup.  Unfortunately my beets had gone around the block a few too many times so it turned out less than great.  I’ll give another go when I have some nice, fresh beets.

Sorry to hear.  What went wrong?  Was it just the flavor of the less than perfect beets or was it a problem with the texture?

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sorry to hear.  What went wrong?  Was it just the flavor of the less than perfect beets or was it a problem with the texture?

I just think the beets were too old.  The cooking liquid when I steamed them, was brownish rather than red.  And they had a stronger smell than usual.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I just think the beets were too old.  The cooking liquid when I steamed them, was brownish rather than red.  And they had a stronger smell than usual.

When I made my beet soup I didn't pre-cook anything.  I just added the raw, whole vegetables to the blender and blended on the soup cycle.

I have more beets and plan to make this again some night soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Small butternut squash, apple on its last legs, a giant shallot, red lentils, curry powder, chicken stock. Sauteed the shallot to soften, simmered everything until soft and pureed. The lentils add nice body. No photo, its orange🙂

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

French onion. Croutons with Gruyere. Served with salad (lettuce, pear) and a nice mellow Cabernet Sauvignon.

I don't broil the cheese over the soup, since I really don't like the resulting soggy croutons. In prefer to make the croutons separately and add them while eating. I flavor them with a bit of thyme and pepper.

PXL_20210108_192456095.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, shain said:

French onion. Croutons with Gruyere. Served with salad (lettuce, pear) and a nice mellow Cabernet Sauvignon.

I don't broil the cheese over the soup, since I really don't like the resulting soggy croutons. In prefer to make the croutons separately and add them while eating. I flavor them with a bit of thyme and pepper.

PXL_20210108_192456095.jpg

That is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  Oh, how I wish....

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

That is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  Oh, how I wish....

You are too kind ☺️ I think that the traditional method of broiling the cheese on the soup is more dramatic and enticing.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 minutes ago, shain said:

You are too kind ☺️ I think that the traditional method of broiling the cheese on the soup is more dramatic and enticing.

I would really miss peeling off toasted cheese tears that creep down the side of the bowl!    Peeling those off and eating them gives me something to do while the soup cools just enough. Nevertheless, your soup does look beautiful. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would really miss peeling off toasted cheese tears that creep down the side of the bowl!    Peeling those off and eating them gives me something to do while the soup cools just enough. Nevertheless, your soup does look beautiful. 

When the soup is not broiled, it is just hot enough to eat - no waiting needed :P (though I do enjoy peeling and eating toasted cheese bits)

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I want to make some nice New England clam chowder.

I've tried many many recipes - from books / on-line - none have ever impressed.  good, yes.  stellar . . . no

any tried&true recipes?

I swear by the Manhattan clam chowder of Jasper White. I'm not a fan of New England style, but I would trust his recipe for it. Easy to find on line.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I want to make some nice New England clam chowder.

I've tried many many recipes - from books / on-line - none have ever impressed.  good, yes.  stellar . . . no

any tried&true recipes?

I trust @johnnyd  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/73102-eg-foodblog-johnnyd-dining-downeast/?do=findComment&comment=999359  I prefer  seafood forward kind of light broth and some texture.l which he does well.

41 minutes ago, heidih said:

I trust @johnnyd  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/73102-eg-foodblog-johnnyd-dining-downeast/?do=findComment&comment=999359  I prefer  seafood forward kind of light broth and some texture.l which he does well.

That's about what I recognize as a "proper" chowder (ie, the way I make it). :P

I don't always have lobster stock on hand, but shrimp shell stock works. I'll also use the racks from white fish for stock, but seldom get them anymore now that I'm cooking for just two. In a pinch I'll just cheat and use clam nectar (prepared fish stock has only *just* become available where I live, and I expect I'll probably use that at some point as well. Whatever works...).

I also fall into the "no cream" camp (it adds richness but mutes flavor) and the "brothy" camp (I detest the gluey, over-thickened kind served now at most restaurants). I usually add a pinch of summer savory to mine, but that's a Maritimer thing.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning