• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

@Darienne Putting my thoughts about alternative medicine as aside. I think that making a soup out of cherry tomatoes is a bit of a waste. Why not roast them as others suggested, then use for roasted tomato salad. Maybe with croutons or pasta. Some feta or shaved Parmesan. Maybe a stew? Over polenta, or with bread? You can add the roasted peppers you mentioned. Maybe add eggs and make a shakshuka out of it. Or sticking with the idea of soup, keep them halved and add some chickpeas/lentils, or grains, maybe with some leafy greens. I hope some of this will give you ideas. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@Darienne - you may have noticed Liuzhou and some others using lettuce in soups.  Example  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160119-breakfast-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2268071

I've made lettuce soup before and we loved it.  It's not really a 'meal' though.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Darienne  Why not go ahead and cook the tomatoes in some broth or whatever liquid you use for the soup and then run it through a food mill?  Then finish the soup with whatever else you were going to put in there.  

Food mill is good.  Like making apple sauce.  I'm going to try that one.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, shain said:

@Darienne Putting my thoughts about alternative medicine as aside. I think that making a soup out of cherry tomatoes is a bit of a waste. Why not roast them as others suggested, then use for roasted tomato salad. Maybe with croutons or pasta. Some feta or shaved Parmesan. Maybe a stew? Over polenta, or with bread? You can add the roasted peppers you mentioned. Maybe add eggs and make a shakshuka out of it. Or sticking with the idea of soup, keep them halved and add some chickpeas/lentils, or grains, maybe with some leafy greens. I hope some of this will give you ideas. 

Thanks Shai.  Some good ideas from you.  I'll pass on the eggs though sitting in a mixture though...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

13 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Thanks Shai.  Some good ideas from you.  I'll pass on the eggs though sitting in a mixture though...

No problem, though I don't understand the last part... Is "eggs sitting in a mixture" a scathing description of shakshuka? 😁

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

No problem, though I don't understand the last part... Is "eggs sitting in a mixture" a scathing description of shakshuka? 😁

I had a bad experience with eggs a number of years ago...I mean really horrible...and it took me a long time to accept eating them again at all.  And only cooked in certain ways.  It's not a scathing criticism of shakshuka at all...it's my own personal difficulty in eating eggs in that format. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

Roasted sunchoke, pumpkin and chickpeas soup. Also: roasted carrots, spinach added right before serving so that it is lightly blanched. Flavored with rosemary; spices fried, ground and added towards the end: bay, cumin, coriander seeds, fenugreek, chili; garlic, turmeric, paprika.

PXL_20201117_195244040.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

57 minutes ago, SarahPorta said:

Wow! Such an unusual ingredients for me. Really interested to make it. Eating all my soups with sour cream, would it fit?

I'll post the recipe later. I love soup with sour cream (I'm half Hungarian after all :p), but haven't tried this one with it. Try it first without.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

Hungarian mushroom soup. Plenty of paprika, vegetables, spices, herbs.

Also fire roasted eggplant with a little sour cream, toasted sunflower seeds, lemon.

Served with plenty of sour cream, crisp and warm light rye sourdough.

Beer.

PXL_20201123_194801912.jpg

PXL_20201123_193541174.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Been making a good bit of soup lately; it's cold, and when it's cold, I want soup. There was vegetable beef with the remains of a pot roast; chili; carbonnades a la flammande (I am still bemoaning that I can no longer find Green Flash Double Stout, which was simply wonderful in it, but Newcastle works moderately well, as does Guinness); taco soup; and today, I'm making corn and sweet potato chowder with the last of the leftover turkey. Think I'm cooking another pot roast tomorrow, so there'll be more soup in the future. I'm wondering if I can do beef and barley and just use sorghum or buckwheat instead of the barley? I've also done a carrot soup with sorghum grains in the past that was great.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Super simple early this morning to use up some very fragrant flat leaf parsley. Just bit of onion and butter until fragrant, 12 oz. bag of frozen spinach, huge bunch of the parsley (mezzaluna worked well), large handful of frozen peas....and... chicken powder as the salty element. Buzzed with immersion blender. Heated  small bowl with some blobs of brie - very happy. Will have more later with toasted no-knead. Maybe melt the brie on the bread instead.

No pic as it is truly a murky green swamp.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Hey Guys and Ladies, could you please direct me to a good recipe for split pea soup? I'd be interested in no-meat versions as well. I do like a smokey flavor. Fewer ingredients are better for me. Thank you in advance!

I just bought split peas last week. My dead easy vegetarian version is peas, water, and a chub of soyrizo in the crockpot. The soyrizo has a lot of flavor.  if I have chicken or other stock in freezer I'll use that as part of the liquid. I find the peas sweet enough so I don't add carrots. One of those, to me, greater than the sum of its parts dishes. I am not a ham hock fan but sure others here have some delicious recipes with the beloved smoked pork part.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Hey Guys and Ladies, could you please direct me to a good recipe for split pea soup? I'd be interested in no-meat versions as well. I do like a smokey flavor. Fewer ingredients are better for me. Thank you in advance!

I don't have a written recipe, but I do have suggestions. Base is lightly browned onion, carrots and celery. Don't add too much so that it won't end up too sweet. Smoked paprika works well for a vegetarian way of adding smoke. Add enough lemon or wine vinegar when done cooking to brighten it up. I like to also add dry mint and lots of pepper (again, when done cooking). Some fresh peas make a great topping, so does toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Quick vegetable pho-like soup in pressure cooker. Charred onion and ginger, other stock veggies, the usual spices. Rice noodles, herbs, lime, hoisin. Not fully vegan, because it has a bit of fish sauce.

PXL_20201202_201408503.thumb.jpg.7e776c381a85ab834fd6de272f9e047f.jpg

PXL_20201202_200150510.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

My first blender soup!  Inspired by a recipe I found on the Vita-mix website:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes/beetroot-tomato-macadamia-nut-soup

I used chicken stock instead of water, and I added a red onion and a garlic clove.  Having no macadamia nuts I substituted red walnuts.  Vita-mix calls for cutting the beets in half but I am lazy and I have a good blender.  I simply threw the stuff in whole and pushed the soup button.

Soup12262020.png

Possibly the best soup I have made.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My first blender soup!  Inspired by a recipe I found on the Vita-mix website:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes/beetroot-tomato-macadamia-nut-soup

I used chicken stock instead of water, and I added a red onion and a garlic clove.  Having no macadamia nuts I substituted red walnuts.  Vita-mix calls for cutting the beets in half but I am lazy and I have a good blender.  I simply threw the stuff in whole and pushed the soup button.

Possibly the best soup I have made.

Did you peel the beets first?

I've contemplated those Vitamix soup recipes more than a few times, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. The thought of listening to that beast bellowing away on my countertop for more than a few seconds at a time deters me.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I've contemplated those Vitamix soup recipes more than a few times, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. The thought of listening to that beast bellowing away on my countertop for more than a few seconds at a time deters me.

I have a Blendtec Stealth.  The sound really isn't bad at all.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have an 80s-vintage Vitamix, the old-school kind with the stainless-steel jar. It sounds like a piece of construction equipment.

I use it primarily for breaking up ice, because "blendering" isn't a big part of my life other than pureeing soup (and I have an immersion blender for that).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning