• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Quite cold  50F and rain by noon so David Lebovitz rendition of cabbage soup on deck and cornbread on the side. The bread will have lots of flat leaf parsley as opposed to the soup which will get either ancient poppyseed or caraway. Trying times. Pantry sweep  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/caraway-norwegian-recipe-vegetarian-cabbage-soup/

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, heidih said:

Quite cold  50F and rain by noon so David Lebovitz rendition of cabbage soup on deck and cornbread on the side. The bread will have lots of flat leaf parsley as opposed to the soup which will get either ancient poppyseed or caraway. Trying times. Pantry sweep  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/caraway-norwegian-recipe-vegetarian-cabbage-soup/

Perspective is a marvelous thing. We've quite enjoyed getting up to that temperature a few times in the past week, and celebrated with light, summery meals. :)

Saw my first new blossoms of the spring yesterday (what more prosaic souls would describe as "weeds"). Also, while the lawns hereabouts are still in their winter drab, fresh green shoots - currently just a haze of green - are on the verge of asserting themselves and doubtless will do so over the next few days.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Next on my list of things to make.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Update after you make it, will you? I saw the recipe and I think I have the ingredients. Are you making that parsley oil? It made me tired just reading it, and ordinarily cabbage soup doesn't have a big draw for me. Picture makes it look delicious, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 3:06 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Update after you make it, will you? I saw the recipe and I think I have the ingredients. Are you making that parsley oil? It made me tired just reading it, and ordinarily cabbage soup doesn't have a big draw for me. Picture makes it look delicious, though.

Not the oil. I just scrounged some parsley outside growing among the weeds and snipped a good amount in the bowl I was eating ftom..Just me so I made a half recipe. . I like cooked cabbage. 

• Like 1

We are in the opening days of the annual Spring asparagus harvest here in Washington State and two of the first dishes I always do are asparagus soups. We are lucky to get it within a day of harvest when it's at its best, and the stalks are what I call "medium" in size.  The larger the stalk, the less tender it seems to be.  This is an easy recipe for Miso Soup with Asparagus and Tofu.  I make my own dashi stock from scratch, but you can also use instant dashi powder reconstituted in hot water. Once the stock is made, you simply cook the asparagus quickly in the stock and add a block of tofu to the bowl.  

Miso Soup with Asparagus.JPG

Ingredients-

6 cups dashi stock (see our link for recipe)

5 tbsp. red miso

1 tsp. light soy sauce

8 oz. firm tofu, cut in 1"x2" chunks

12 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed

Instructions-

Cut the woody white ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut the tips of the asparagus and reserve. Using a vegetable peeler, trim the stalks of asparagus and cut into 1" pieces.

Pour the dashi into a stockpot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.  Turn the heat Stir in the red miso and soy sauce.  The miso will melt into the dashi in about 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the trimmed asparagus stalks to the miso soup and cook until the asparagus is tender, another 3 minutes.

Stir the miso soup and then ladle into serving bowls. Add one of the chunks of tofu to the center of the bowl. Place 2-3 of the asparagus spears on top of the tofu and serve the soup hot.

• Like 4

This is my recipe for Cream of Asparagus. It's not a silky, thinner cream soup but thick like a chowder. After I make it the first serving is always as a soup, but it's also good tossed in pasta, a warm dip for bread, and drizzled over omelet's.  

Cream of Asparagus.JPG  

Ingredients-

1 lb. fresh asparagus

1/2 cup chicken stock

3/4 cup cream

1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

dash cayenne pepper

salt and pepper to taste

blanched asparagus tips and sliced asparagus for garnish

Instructions-

Heat 4 cups salted water to a boil in a heavy stockpot. Cut the white stalk ends off the end of the asparagus. Add the asparagus and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the asparagus and drain. Reserve some of the asparagus tips and slice some asparagus to garnish the soup.

Cut the asparagus spears into 1" pieces and place in a blender. Add the chicken stock and start the blender on low speed. Add the half and half and continue to blend, then add the tarragon and lemon juice. Continue to puree the asparagus soup, adding more half and half to your desired consistency. Season the soup with cayenne pepper and salt and pepper.

Just before serving heat the cream of asparagus in a saucepan over medium heat. Ladle the cream of asparagus into bowls and garnish with asparagus tips and sliced asparagus.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

On 4/7/2020 at 11:13 AM, heidih said:

Copied @heidihand made cabbage soup for supper.  With baking powder biscuits.  Soup had no poppyseed or caraway though.  Delicious. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

It cooled off today so I finally got around to using my two bags of spinach to make spinach soup. I generally followed a recipe from the Pioneer Woman, but used a bit less milk and roux. Its basically creamed spinach soup, which isn’t a bad thing.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, heidih said:

Bit chilly here. A craving has hit for husband's grammy's cow foot soup. Split feet, yucca, at end dumplings. I can already feel the gelatine on my lips. 

https://www.africanbites.com/cow-foot-soup/

Sorry  I have given up on image rotation here

Fascinating! Not totally relevant, but whose writing is on the card? Doesn't look like grammy writing to me. Just curious.

9 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Fascinating! Not totally relevant, but whose writing is on the card? Doesn't look like grammy writing to me. Just curious.

Oh that was me in the 70's when my hands still worked. Grammy long gone,  I never met her. She never left Panama. Hubby was super good in describing the dishes he loved.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:34 PM, heidih said:

Bit chilly here. A craving has hit for husband's grammy's cow foot soup. Split feet, yucca, at end dumplings. I can already feel the gelatine on my lips. 

https://www.africanbites.com/cow-foot-soup/

20200624_100957.jpg

20200624_100911.jpg

Your husband and I may be related. Handwriting looks just like my mother's.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

Using up some roasted chicken breast ....   chicken stock, bay leaf, carrot coins, minced onion and smashed garlic.  Leftover chicken and ramen noodles.  For John if/when he gets home.  Hangover soup.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 weeks later...

It has cooled significantly so I used some saved shrimp broth (flavored with garlic, butter, Dijon mustard, cracked black pepper) with frozen chopped spinach and Kroger shrimp dumplings (surprisingly good product). Very satisfying. Pepped up with Sriracha and Italian parsley. 

• Like 4

Cherry tomatoes into soup:  Ed is currently not allowed any raw vegetables and this dictum was handed down one day after his last large purchase of salad makings, including a gigantic clam-shell of cherry tomatoes.  

Has anyone made soup from cherry/grape tomatoes?  You can't peel the little critters and so you are left with the skins in your soup.  Is this acceptable?  I've found recipes online to try, but would like to know of someone's experience doing this kind of soup.  

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne 

you can wash fresh veg carefully , maybe w gloves on etc

then spin them in a salad spinner  still carefully 

and allow them to sit for several days 

I think CDC , back when it was the3 CDC 

suggested letting " things " sit for a few days 

3 ?   tomatoes might ripen a bit , at room temp 

and other dry spun veg in the refrig ?

up to you .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Has anyone made soup from cherry/grape tomatoes?  You can't peel the little critters and so you are left with the skins in your soup.  Is this acceptable?  I've found recipes online to try, but would like to know of someone's experience doing this kind of soup.  

I don't mind the skins.  I do it all the time. You could roast and buzz in blender for more concentrated flavor. But did the Dr. make clear if tough stuff like skins would be an issue even cooked? He/she might not have foreseen that application. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

I don't mind the skins.  I do it all the time. You could roast and buzz in blender for more concentrated flavor. But did the Dr. make clear if tough stuff like skins would be an issue even cooked? He/she might not have foreseen that application. 

It's not a digestive issue.  The 'doctor' is an acupuncturist and it's a question of...well, I'm not really sure.  He's not to have any raw food, nothing cold, because his body heat is ...well, whatever it is.  It's a bit beyond me.  He's drinking hot spicy teas...which needless to say he doesn't really like.  We're giving this a good try and if there's no demonstrable change in 'x' number of weeks, then we might be back to square one.  In the meantime, I'm faced with a now reduced glut of salad makings which I am using in a variety of ways so that nothing goes bad.  So, for example, a huge package of mild red peppers is now roasted and in the freezer and ready for soups or whatever.  Used some in a stir fry last night.  Stir fries, believe it or not, are new to us.  We are inveterate salad eaters.  OK.  Done.

• Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.