• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Pho rice noodles were on sale this past week with coupons picked up some.  Pork was on sale and I had a bunch of stock.  2 of the steaks I cut are going to be used as is; the rest will be slivered, sautéed and made into pho if/when John gets back.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

981376122_Twosoups2020-01IMG_9939.thumb.JPG.fa36531e92e5c61df23b16eec0266d78.JPG

Soup making yesterday.  On the left, mushroom and farro soup.  On the right, RG's yellow Indian woman bean soup. Day before was chicken stock making day, so these are both "from scratch" soups.  They will both undoubtedly be thinned out with more stock when reheating.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/20/2020 at 10:38 AM, rotuts said:

I eat single servings of soup out of a AllClad  small saucer all the time

sometimes I add a pinch of Spanish Smoked Paprika  ( Penzey's )

I lived in Spain for two years , and enjoy the SSP flavor.  its almost in everything 

image.thumb.png.a8d6de5f867b147d780fd3d8c1d39f5f.png

IMG_9941.thumb.JPG.85ce2320243373bb9d56f257025bce19.JPG

While I am not a fan of eating from my old time All Clad saucier, I certainly enjoy and use Spanish pimentón.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

As a singleton I have done a new process. Lamb shank in crockpot with lots of various flavorings including a head of garlic and carrots. Eaten in progression as the meat with maybe rice and veg, next day with more liquid and more cooking and a wondrous soup is my gift. I'll toss in some dried pasta or some package gnocchi plus greens. Almost like stone soup :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

As a singleton I have done a new process. Lamb shank in crockpot with lots of various flavorings including a head of garlic and carrots. Eaten in progression as the meat with maybe rice and veg, next day with more liquid and more cooking and a wondrous soup is my gift. I'll toss in some dried pasta or some package gnocchi plus greens. Almost like stone soup :)

Thanks for the inspiration.  I just added lamb shanks to my grocery order.  I’ve never made them before but the recipes I’ve viewed look delicious!

48 minutes ago, lindag said:

Thanks for the inspiration.  I just added lamb shanks to my grocery order.  I’ve never made them before but the recipes I’ve viewed look delicious!

I will add that most recipes tell you to brown the meat, I did for years cuz Julia told me to. Messy, smelly, and in my un-refined opinion - not needed. Put it i the pot and let it marry happily for hours. I think my "only eat meat once a year" brother in law may cave tonight. Next morning you can remove congealed fat like when making stock. 

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

I will add that most recipes tell you to brown the meat, I did for years cuz Julia told me to. Messy, smelly, and in my un-refined opinion - not needed. Put it i the pot and let it marry happily for hours. I think my "only eat meat once a year" brother in law may cave tonight. Next morning you can remove congealed fat like when making stock. 

Thanks for the info about not browning.

My late husband used to cook up lamb chops but always did it outside on the grill, he said because the odor in the house was really unpleasant.  I’m glad not to have to experience that.

Chinese style hot-pot broth (incl. carrots, celery, onion, ginger, chili, cinnamon, anise, licorice root, Sichuan peppercorns, bay leaves, coriander, soy sauce, rice wine, gochujang, sugar, MSG).

Tofu, mushrooms, kombu, spinach, alkaline noodles.

Dry Sacha sauce (more like powder).

IMG_20200125_154202_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

For dinner tonight:

mushroom soup - fresh cremini and reconstituted porcini, thyme, butter and oil, vegetable stock, salt and (white) pepper.

• Like 4

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Roasted 4 bones from T-bone steaks, threw in a mix of vegetables from the crisper and a can of black beans, a bay leaf, thyme, and oregano and simmered for about an hour. Topped with fresh thyme, parsley and thick slices of Dave's Super Seed bread. - lunch was hardy!

1409324155_BeefVegSoup0774.jpg.526c58871c5f274b3040d42fbacf1ea8.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 weeks later...

Only 6:30am but no sleep so the nice broccoli is headed to become a lightly curried coconut soup - buzzed with immersion blender. Should the sun ever cone up and the fog go away I'll toss in lemon verbena from garden. Better when it sits for a while. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I received my seafood ordered from my local grocer in anticipation of Cioppino this weekend.

Shrimp, cod, scallops (no mussels - keeping it simple since it's a soup for one).

• Like 4

Pulling from the freezer some thinly sliced pork and frozen raw shrimp to make John some pho for lunch for next week.

Fresh mushroom and dried porcini soup for a friend.  If she likes it will give her the recipe for a visit from her son's girlfriend later this month who is a vegetarian.

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tandoori-roasted Cauliflower Soup:  some of the cauliflower roasted with curry powder.

The rest is cooked with onion, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry powder, and chicken broth. Cooked until very tender, then pureed. Added green beans and canned diced tomato.
Topped with some of the roasted cauliflower and chopped basil. Quite lovely!

1422176477_TandooriCauliflowerSoup0865.jpg.52a19d6c093144e05e82604ad7441bba.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using up a bag of roasted chicken carcasses, I made the Old-World Mushroom-Barley Soup with Turkey (chicken in my case) from the Weight Watchers Cook Comfort cookbook.
It was good!

979897121_MushroombarleyTurkeysoup0886.jpg.5d524751192f7a8fc44f4d01cd057e97.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in the dinner topic, Bugialli's minestra di farro.  Equal parts Rancho Gordo Marcella beans and organic farro from Bob's Red Mill.

MinestraDiFarro04022020.png

There are quarts and quarts remaining.  Bugialli says it reheats, as well as being served at room temperature.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou