• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Here's another dead simple one.  I make it when I want something super fast and super easy.

Sweet potato soup

1 sweet potato
2 cups vegetable broth

Cook and puree

Add
1/2 cup salsa

Puree

Add splash of lemon  juice and a bit of milk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Today I’m prepping my Vegetable Beef soup.

Shown are the oxtails and soup bones.

Then the chopped veg. Which includes very fresh Leek, turnip, onion, carrot, celery, potato, fennel, green beans, cabbage.

Fresh parsley and thyme stand by along with some beef broth and canned tomat.

852CE6B3-1436-4870-BCFD-8D025C59F22E.jpeg

10D8CB7C-C501-4727-903B-DCA9363FB8C2.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Today I’m prepping my Vegetable Beef soup.

Then the chopped veg. Which includes very fresh Leek, turnip, onion, carrot, celery, potato, fennel, green beans, cabbage.

Fresh parsley and thyme stand by along with some beef broth and canned tomat.

After pressure cooking the meat and bones in the IP I removed that and chopped the meat and cooled it to save for Lucy.

She’s going to love this in her food.  Right now she<s chasing one of the bones around the house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

Hope you plan on eating that bone marrow!!  Lucy wont miss it as long as you give her the exterior casing ;)

Nope.  Lucy got the marrow; she is, after all, ,my best friend and she deserved a treat.  She really, really enjoyed it and that was enough for me.

BTW, that Living Thyme was a new product for me.  It is really nice and should last a lot longer than the packaged stuff I usually get.  It's attached to a root ball that is moist.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

Chowder. Mussels, cause clams are to expensive here to be made into soup.Potatoes, some corn, and not too much cream. Plenty of celery and bay leaves.

Fish shaped crackers, because why not.

IMG_20191116_214511_1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

• 3 weeks later...

It is cold! Soup needed asap.  Had some leftover canned pumpkin from pumpkin bread. 

No stock so water, a sprinkle of chicken powder, dash of soy, red pepper flakes and dollop of end of cottage cheese container. Bit creamy, soothing.  All in microwave. A back up for future crisis moments 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

Soup here, too, on a cold day that started out grey but the sun has come out. Vegetable beef soup, been on in the IP all day; 10 minutes pressure cook, and just on low since then.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A Jewish friend who is the best cook ever made her homemade mushroom soup for a group dinner that was to die for.

I’d love to be able to recreate that.  Unfortunately she’s out of touch now.

i wouldn’t know where to begin.

Edited by lindag (log)

Mushroom soup using 灰树花 (huī shù huā), maitake, aka hen-of-the-woods and 姬松茸 (jī sōng róng), almond mushrooms. The stock is the drained soaking water for the dried 'shrooms, with a little garlicky chicken stock. Chinese chives sprinkled on at the end. Very simple, but a umami bomb.

513681048_mushroomsoup.thumb.jpg.528e6382d4fc86ce5fc513cd0239886a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The stock is the drained soaking water for the dried 'shrooms, with a little garlicky chicken stock. Chinese chives sprinkled on at the end. Very simple, but a umami bomb.

This does sound extraordinary. Are both mushrooms types dried?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

This does sound extraordinary

Well, you wouldn't want me to be ordinary, would you?

I was kind of messing about and fancied some soup, but the only mushrooms I had were dried and the weather was being very unfriendly, so this is what I came up with instead of going out.

If I ever have to leave here, I'll so much miss the local supermarkets having up to ten different fresh mushrooms and even more dried.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Well, you wouldn't want me to be ordinary, would you?

I was kind of messing about and fancied some soup, but the only mushrooms I had were dried and the weather was being very unfriendly, so this is what I came up with instead of going out.

If I ever have to leave here, I'll so much miss the local supermarkets having up to ten different fresh mushrooms and even more dried.

Ordinary? You? Never! But I was interested for the very reasons that you are giving. It could be a pantry meal. I might not be able to get quite the selection of dried mushrooms that are available to you but I can get dried mushrooms of various kinds. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, I think I have about 20 Holiday recipes I didn't get to this year.  But waiting in the wings on the counter, and for the Holidays to end, is my favorite soup for January, Italian Sausage and Kale.  I make it in the slow-cooker and it couldn't be easier.  I took it out of some magazine and keep it in my "soup" files.  

Italian Sausage and Kale Soup in the Slow Cooker.JPG

Ingredients-

1 lb. ground hot Italian sausage

1 tbsp. olive oil

4 cups chopped fresh kale

2 5 1/2 oz. cans white cannelini beans, drained and rinsed

1 28 oz. can Italian style chopped tomatoes

2 cups diced carrots

1 large yellow onion, diced

5 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 tbsp. dried oregano

4-5 cups chicken stock

salt and pepper to taste

grated parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and cook the sausage, breaking it into pieces, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Spoon the cooked sausage into a slow-cooker. Add the kale, beans, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic and oregano. Pour in the chicken stock and stir to combine all the ingredients. Cover and cook on the low setting for 3 ½-4 hours. Garnish bowls of the soup with grated parmesan cheese.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

22 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Well, I think I have about 20 Holiday recipes I didn't get to this year.  But waiting in the wings on the counter, and for the Holidays to end, is my favorite soup for January, Italian Sausage and Kale.  I make it in the slow-cooker and it couldn't be easier.  I took it out of some magazine and keep it in my "soup" files.  

Italian Sausage and Kale Soup in the Slow Cooker.JPG

Ingredients-

1 lb. ground hot Italian sausage

1 tbsp. olive oil

4 cups chopped fresh kale

2 5 1/2 oz. cans white cannelini beans, drained and rinsed

1 28 oz. can Italian style chopped tomatoes

2 cups diced carrots

1 large yellow onion, diced

5 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 tbsp. dried oregano

4-5 cups chicken stock

salt and pepper to taste

grated parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and cook the sausage, breaking it into pieces, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Spoon the cooked sausage into a slow-cooker. Add the kale, beans, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic and oregano. Pour in the chicken stock and stir to combine all the ingredients. Cover and cook on the low setting for 3 ½-4 hours. Garnish bowls of the soup with grated parmesan cheese.

My favorite as well, however, my version has potatoes instead of the beans.

• Like 1

Stove acting stupid so went with the slow cooker (crockpot) as well. Yesterday - spinach, tofu, lemon verbena cuz only herb that survived the weather, various seasonings, coconut milk, and noodles. Spruced up with nuoc mam at service. I was starving and undercooked so re-cooking today to bring it together more. . Oh and the kicker as no decent stock - bit of chicken powder and....big dollop of generic liverwurst. It adds surprising complexity. No image as it looks a bit murky. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lindag said:

My favorite as well, however, my version has potatoes instead of the beans.

I love potatoes and I think next time I'll try that.  I actually prefer potatoes over beans.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

on another thread ,, eating out of the cooking pan was mentioned .

I eat single servings of soup out of a AllClad  small saucer all the time

but at the table .

Progresso lower salt Italian Wedding Soup  a favorite of mine.

I add.  while still on the stove and hot , but off the heat :  chopped spinach , a beaten egg 

and chopped , not grated , TJ's parmesan-ish.    the tiny chunks of cheese soften , and don't quite 

melt , a nice texture I find.   sometimes I add a pinch of Spanish Smoked Paprika  ( Penzey's )

I lived in Spain for two years , and enjoy the SSP flavor.  its almost in everything 

I recall.

1188630222_SoupinPan-1.thumb.jpg.3413cf268297f5ba198578601c42d801.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9