• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

Dinner tonight was homemade tomato soup I canned last summer, with grilled cheese sandwiches on pain de mie. Good stuff.

Which pain de mie recipe do you use?  I use the one from KAF but it can sometimes come out a bit dense near the bottom of the loaf compared to the top part.  I don't understand why this should happen so I'm wondering if there us a better recipe out there.  It does make great sandwiches so I'm not complaining, but.........

30 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have the smaller (9”) Pan de mie and I use the KAF recipe as well.  Mine comes out very nicely.  Could it be your oven?  Or the placement in the oven?  

I usually make the 13" one but I'll try the 9" one next time.and see how that compares.  I do use potato flakes rather than potato flour, using the amount KAF recommends.  I now know of a place that sells potato flour so next time I'm out I'll get some and see if that makes a difference.

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Which pain de mie recipe do you use?  I use the one from KAF but it can sometimes come out a bit dense near the bottom of the loaf compared to the top part.  I don't understand why this should happen so I'm wondering if there us a better recipe out there.  It does make great sandwiches so I'm not complaining, but.........

I use the one from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Bread Bible.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

I use the one from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Bread Bible.

I just made that recipe and it is in the oven.  7 minutes after I put it in the top popped off.  I left it on in it's current position until it is time to take it off for real.  Nice dough to work with.  Can you explain to me why I shape the dough into a 16" roll and put it into an 13" pan?

59 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just made that recipe and it is in the oven.  7 minutes after I put it in the top popped off.  I left it on in it's current position until it is time to take it off for real.  Nice dough to work with.  Can you explain to me why I shape the dough into a 16" roll and put it into an 13" pan?

Probably so you compress it a touch to be sure it will fill out the corners all the way?

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@kayb and @MelissaH

Bread turned out really great.  The taste is much better than the KAF version, although that one was pretty good too.  It did not has that sort of compressed dough look at the bottom of the loaf.  Any idea what her 4 cups translate into grams?

20190129_171810.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

My pan is only about 9 inches, so I reduced the recipe by a third and ignored the shaping instructions. I have my own little way of shaping bread that works for me, so that's what I use any time I'm making a loaf, and, in modified form, a boule.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 1/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, ElsieD said:

As far as being dense on the bottom, I'd guess one of two things: either the loaf was overproofed, or it didn't get enough initial heat from the bottom to get full oven spring.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

getting cold here as the front moves through with snow flurries.  decided to repurpose some stuff so some leftover roasted chicken breast, glutenfree rice pasta, 1/2 cup of French onion soup, a quart of chicken stock then some minced carrots and a bay leaf for the finish.  Lunch for John....I had the remaining onion soup and 1/3 of the toasted cheese sandwich from yesterday.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Faux pho for John after a dental appointment.  Chicken stock, cinnamon, ginger coins, star anise, onion, bok choy, scallions, garlic, thinly sliced chicken breast and chopped up shrimp with rice pho noodles.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

The recipe for this Spinach-and-Cilantro Soup With Tahini and Lemon appeared in the New York Times recently.

IMG_0596.thumb.jpg.8bede46f108dcee1e7fc8985dacf984d.jpg

Interesting.  There's a small amount of tahini in the soup as well as in the drizzle on top.  I added a little preserved lemon and would have liked more but even though I only used half the called for amount of salt, the soup is too salty for me and I didn't want to make it worse.

On the upside, it reduced my refrigerator load by 2 bunches of spinach and 2 bunches of cilantro.   I'm debating whether the 1.5 quarts of soup should go in the freezer or directly down the sink.    Maybe I'll try one round of leftovers first....

Updating a day later after breakfasting on a bowl of this soup.  It may be growing on me.  The leftovers have earned a reprieve. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

I made a pot of vegetable soup several days back to clean out my refrigerator. I've since used the leftovers as a base for a few variations.

Clockwise from T-L:  veg soup; with lentils and sausage; with ditalini; and with buttermilk and tortellini

931098869_MyPost-2.thumb.jpg.806ed19037702be4f04891d9172430a3.jpg

• Like 12

Please forgive me for a poor presentation of a delicious soup.

Chickpea soup, with sesame and peanut paste, parsley, cilantro, cumin, chili, lemon. Pasta.

IMG_20190326_205714_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Since I'm working at home today, I am currently simmering chicken stock to get a step ahead on Passover dinner (potentially 12-14 people, I can't do it all the day before). Have TWO stockpots going simultaneously since I don't have one massive one. Bought large freezer containers to put it away tonight (warned DH not to even think of putting anything in the bottom freezer drawer which I cleared out). House certainly smells good.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

My lovage in the garden is beautiful and I normally don't use it for much.

Decided to try a 'celery' soup.  No picture because it is just a pureed green soup.

I used onions, confit garlic, celery stalk and leaves, lovage stalks, some green onion, parsley stalks, and brown rice for thickening.  Sauteed the veggies but reserved all the lovage leaves for later.

Then I cooked for 20 minutes with chicken stock and pureed the soup in my Vitamix putting a couple of handfuls of lovage leaves in at the end.  Doing it this way keeps the green colour vibrant rather than army green.

What a delicious soup....tastes of spring.  I will make some crispy garnish....some tortilla strips fried until golden.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1