• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I also love to make a pot of vegetable soup which is more veggies than liquid - but that soup is basically made on the spur of the moment when I see all the fresh veggies at the market and buy them for a hearty soup. Then it is consumed with a door-stop chunk of warm bread out the oven.

A cook after my own heart!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

This is the new one to me. Perhaps I lead a much too sheltered life. But I've added to my list and hope to make it very soon before the weather gets too hot for this sort of soup.

Its addicting. I personally can't just eat one bowl. I go for seconds and thirds.

A few tips for making really good ham and string bean soup. #1 do not use canned string beans use fresh or even frozen string/green beans works great. #2 Do not over cook the ham. When making the stock use the ham bone and all the fat trimmings. I like to basicly clean and cube the ham and use the bone and all the fat trimmings to make the stock/broth then at the last 20 minutes add the cubed ham and simmer for the remaining time. #3 Cube and boil the potatoes for 10-15 min and set aside and add along with the cubed ham at the last 20 min. ( i hate over cooked potatoes in soup.)

Also, Ham base is a great way to boost flavor and salt. If you decide to use ham base (i recommend) do not add salt if a recipe calls for it. Kinda obvious but mentioning it anyway.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 2

Hot and sour soup with chilies mixed with chilli flakes mixed together and drizzled over the top.

My recipe for Mulligawtany with a slice of lemon in the bottom of the bowl.

Proper French onion soup as per TFTC made with Gruyere cheese.

Cream of asparagus.

Tom Yum.

Garden fresh gaspatcho.

Don't laugh but any of the Knorr powdered soups....reminds me of my days hiking and making up a batch of soup over a camp fire while trying to keep warm.:x

That's my list.

We have soup everyday for lunch.

• Like 3

My favourite soup by Gordon Ramsay.

Pea, mint with Parma ham

4 ounces lightly smoked sliced bacon
2 shallots, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound fresh peas in pods, shelled
2 tablespoons dry white wine
4 cups Vegetable Nage or light chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus a little extra for serving
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Reserve 4 slices of bacon and chop the rest. Place the chopped bacon in a saucepan with the shallots and oil. Heat until sizzling, then sweat over a low heat for about 5 minutes.

2. Add the peas and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until it has evaporated.

3. Stir in the nage or stock and 1 cup of water, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes. Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth, then pass through a fine sieve into a bowl, rubbing with the back of a ladle. Leave to cool and then refrigerate.

4. Meanwhile, broil the reserved bacon slices until crisp. (In the restaurant we bake the slices between two heavy baking sheets to keep them straight and flat, but you may prefer the crinkly look.) Drain well on a paper towel so they aren’t greasy. Keep warm.

5 When the soup is well chilled, check the seasoning and whisk in the cream. Season again. Serve in bowls with a little extra cream trickled on top and a floating bacon slice.

I add a good hand full of fresh mint leaves before the blend and don't bother with the sieve and have been known just to add water instead of a veg nage or light chicken stock as it is less fussy to make and tastes just a yummy.

Edited by Soupcon
changes (log)

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What can I do to make asparagus soup LOOK good? (rhetorical question)

20170612_180627.thumb.jpg.4733d3f2f09bd8e0fd2999c9dbab8a73.jpg

Yeah, I know it's rhetorical.  I'll still answer ;)

Cook the asparagus and the broth separately.  Blanched or charred tips/stems in a clear broth would look pretty...

RG Royal Corona Beans with Black Kale

Sauté Onion/ Garlic and Bay

Deglace with white wine/ reduce

Add in soaked beans and Broth ( Chicken )

Pressure cook 30 mins 15 psi

cool add Kale/ carrots/ celery

Pressure cook 30 more mins

cool / I added my canned basil tomatoes

add turkey meat balls

Royal Beans Plumped up nicely ater 1 hr Pressure cooked

5940333d7cfdf_34420605744_c46c547f0c_h1.thumb.jpg.bf5ed41158bde698ffe6dd089ad3613d.jpg

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

On 4/29/2017 at 10:51 AM, JohnT said:

Unfortunately, I enjoy a good hearty soup. I say unfortunately as my wife is not that fond of soup! But that has slowly changed over the years. I now often make a really thick split pea soup with a couple of smoked pork neck steaks in the pot. Once all cooked up, I remove the steaks and wiz the soup with a stick blender then dice the steaks and add them back to the pot. The split peas, by the way, are a product of Canada.

I also love to make a pot of vegetable soup which is more veggies than liquid - but that soup is basically made on the spur of the moment when I see all the fresh veggies at the market and buy them for a hearty soup. Then it is consumed with a door-stop chunk of warm bread out the oven.

I do a similar soup with split peas - nice and thick - usually with chunks of carrots and potato as well. A nice ham bone forms the base - and any ham left on it at the end gets added back before pureeing and perhaps some chunks of black forest ham if there isn't enough left on the bone.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had lunch last Monday with some friends at our favorite local diner.  They had the veg. soup as a side

and it looked so good I had to get a container to take home (I had ordered breakfast).

The soup was much like that which JohnT  spoke about earlier in this thread, lots of veg and not so much liquid....it was very, very good.  

I so wish the weather would cool down here since I'm really wanting to make a pot of soup but can't even think about it when it's in the mid 90s, not to mention how dry and smoky it is!    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_6066.jpg.0095115ed7bf0eb3636e5492923acf58.jpg

Went to the farmer's market this morning on my way home from work. Grabbed half a dozen nice corn - realized when I got home I still had last week's corn in the fridge - so nuked the old stuff a few ears at time and made some corn chowder. Thickened up a portion of it with potato flakes for meals for the rug rat as liquid soups tend to slop.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Went to the farmer's market this morning on my way home from work. Grabbed half a dozen nice corn - realized when I got home I still had last week's corn in the fridge - so nuked the old stuff a few ears at time and made some corn chowder. Thickened up a portion of it with potato flakes for meals for the rug rat as liquid soups tend to slop.

Thinking alike! I'm making corn chowder with jalapeno and ham (not a recipe, just winged it). It's chilly and raining here today so soup seemed perfect. It's college football day so I didn't want too much kitchen time. So I bought everything and did all my prep after work yesterday. Got up early this morning and got it all going in the crock pot so it could cook while I was at work today. I'm going to make some cheddar cheese biscuits to go with it and there's Rob's peanut butter pie for dessert.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

No idea where this recipe came from, but I've been hanging on to it for a while and finally made it. Called Creamy Rice Soup with Poblanos and Spinach, It is attributed to Rick Bayless but I can't find it on line to confirm. This is the simplest soup on the planet, but the hitch is you have to have some leftover Mexican red rice, which I did. I had some freshly roasted surprisingly hot poblanos and subbed swiss chard for the spinach. Instead of adding crema to the soup, I had some creme fraiche that I dolloped on as a garnish. I didn't have any crumbly cheese but I'm sure that couldn't hurt. I've never blended rice for anything before, but this was novel and really nice. If you freeze roasted green chiles (I do) this is perfect for a comforting winter soup that uses few ingredients and takes about fifteen minutes to put together. Because of course it isn't winter here, my husband garnished his soup with fresh chopped tomato. Chopped cilantro would be good too.

2 poblano chiles, roasted                       
2 cups cooked Mexican red rice        
1 qt chicken stock or veg broth            
5 cups loosely packed baby spinach

1/4 cup crema

salt

queso fresco or other crumbly cheese

In a blender combine rice and broth and process until smooth. Pour into a large 4-qt saucepan and set over medium heat. When soup comes to a simmer, add chiles and spinach, return to a simmer and cook a couple of minutes, until spinach is wilted. Turn off the heat and stir in the crema. Taste, season for salt, ladle into bowls and top with crumbled cheese or other garnish. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Corn soup with butter. Cobs pressure cooked and strained, kernels blended with sauteed leek and cob stock.

This tastes almost overwhelmingly corny. Served with crackers, I wondered if it might work as a spread if made thicker with a little more butter.IMG_20170930_205906.thumb.jpg.db4a076c9d585d768160d0d1b20a0a4e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:27 AM, shain said:

Corn soup with butter. Cobs pressure cooked and strained, kernels blended with sauteed leek and cob stock.

This tastes almost overwhelmingly corny. Served with crackers, I wondered if it might work as a spread if made thicker with a little more butter.IMG_20170930_205906.thumb.jpg.db4a076c9d585d768160d0d1b20a0a4e.jpg

This sounds similar to the Serious Eats pressure cooker corn soup, which adds tarragon stems and bay leaves to the pressure cooker (pick them out before blending) and then the tarragon leaves to the finished soup. It's heavenly, and strictly seasonal for us.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

It wasn't terribly photogenic, so I didn't photograph, but I made potato-corn chowder for a friend who's recovering from hiatal hernia surgery and is limited to smooth soups. Where I'd normally leave the corn whole, as well as some of the potatoes, I blended the whole thing. On the advice of a nurse friend, who said lower-fat was better for that kind of surgery recovery, I left out the cream and cut back a bit on the cheese.

Onion sauteed in bacon fat; four or five medium Yukon Golds, cubed; a pint of frozen corn; two cups chicken broth, two cups whole milk, a cup of grated cheddar stirred in at the end. 15 minutes in the IP, blended with the immersion blender. Tasted plenty creamy.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, MelissaH said:

This sounds similar to the Serious Eats pressure cooker corn soup, which adds tarragon stems and bay leaves to the pressure cooker (pick them out before blending) and then the tarragon leaves to the finished soup. It's heavenly, and strictly seasonal for us.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that this recipe was my inspiration, but I didn't follow it. Tarragon could have been a great addition, one of my favorite herbs and that I don't use enough. Although I appropriated the clean flavor of leek and butter.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

• 3 weeks later...

YEAH!!!!! It has finally started to cool down here.  Planning on making some mushroom soup tomorrow.  Sunday is supposed to be rainy and cold and miserable...planning on emptying the freezer out to make both vegetable and chicken stock to use in making more soup.  John has asked about some butternut squash soup and I found a recipe for butternut squash and pear soup that looks good.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...