• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Smokeydoke  

thanks for the ref to the Monastery Soups.   I have it coming to me from the Lib.

Honestly, it's not that great. There's lot of errors, there are threads at "that other foodie site" and it'd be a good idea to read through them to see what the errors are.

Also, it's an old-ish book, so a lot of the cooking techniques are outdated, so are a lot of the flavor combinations.

I did one recipe, then placed it into the non-essential pile. Back to the library it went.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Came home with a ham bone from T-dinner on Saturday and a turkey carcass from the actual day. 

SPLIT PEA SOUP for dinner last night.  I LOVE split pea soup and never get it since neither my husband nor his siblings like ham but I'm not above scrounging a bone from wherever I can find one - and, yes, I did ask if anyone else wanted it first.

Next up - turkey stock I am going to freeze to make gravy with to go with the frozen breast.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Turkey soup, my drug of choice. This year I ended up with two carcasses (thank you my great neighbor!) and there was so much bone and meat that I had to make two batches of stock. I now have about 9-10 quarts  in the freezer. And for two days I've been drinking bowl after bowl out of the stockpot or whatever won't fit neatly in a container. I like to start out very plain: just broth, salt and a little sichuan pepper. I might throw in a little cooked rice or a squeeze of lime juice. Then I start dreaming about what kinds of soups I will make in the next couple of months. Minestrone with Marcella beans and greens? Mexican tortilla soup?

All good. What kinds of turkey soups do you like?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Turkey soup, my drug of choice. This year I ended up with two carcasses (thank you my great neighbor!) and there was so much bone and meat that I had to make two batches of stock. I now have about 9-10 quarts  in the freezer. And for two days I've been drinking bowl after bowl out of the stockpot or whatever won't fit neatly in a container. I like to start out very plain: just broth, salt and a little sichuan pepper. I might throw in a little cooked rice or a squeeze of lime juice. Then I start dreaming about what kinds of soups I will make in the next couple of months. Minestrone with Marcella beans and greens? Mexican tortilla soup?

All good. What kinds of turkey soups do you like?

Dare I even answer?  I hate turkey soup.  So there.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

Dare I even answer?  I hate turkey soup.  So there.

OK...so what if you reduce it a bit so you can have some turkey stock for gravy rather than soup?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

13 hours ago, suzilightning said:

OK...so what if you reduce it a bit so you can have some turkey stock for gravy rather than soup?

Or you can use turkey stock to make risotto.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday I made bean soup in my crockpot.  Found a ham hock in my freezer along with a couple andouille sausages, added the navy beans, carrot, lots of chopped onion and garlic, S&P, 2 bay leaves, some dried thyme, a tiny bit of fennel fronds (because I'd tossed out the celery which doesn't keep from one use to the next). and one small red potato, chopped up.  Cooked it all day and it was fantastic with a lovely ciabatta roll I got from Schwan's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I add cooked rice at the end. Prevents over done mushy rice.

Yep.  Same with pasta.  I like to cook it separately so it doesn't turn to mush.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

+1 on cooked. I'll sometimes even par-but-mostly-cook the rice and let it finish hydrating in the hot broth at the end.

That is probably the best so the grains absorb the soup flavours if that is what you are after.

I have an oven-roasted spaghetti squash which has little taste on its own. What should I add to make a delicious soup? I was thinking slow cooked leeks and curry for the seasoning, but I welcome all ideas! :)

27 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I have an oven-roasted spaghetti squash which has little taste on its own. What should I add to make a delicious soup? I was thinking slow cooked leeks and curry for the seasoning, but I welcome all ideas! :)

You can add some sweet potato for sweetness, curry, ginger, cilantro (if you like it) and finish with some orange juice. This is a soup I like a lot (but I usually use other squashes, spaghetti squash is not my favorite). 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

My favorite kind of squash is Hubbard.  Every once in a while I score a nice big pre-cut chunk.  Seems like it is the most flavorful of all.  The darker the flesh color seems to indicate the deeper flavor.

Edited by lindag (log)

First snow here with freezing temps.  Last night was perfect for the Sausage Potato Kale soup.

Love how quick and easy it is to prepare.  Just the soup with a ciabatta roll.

• Like 1

Hungarian vegetable and beans soup. Served with egg noodles and a simple crisp bread to dip in.

Carrots, onion, button mushrooms, celery, parsley root, cabbage, frozen peas. flavored with plenty of hungarian paprika (gently hot), garlic, coriander seeds, caraway, allspice, dill and parsley.

20161209_201609.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, lindag said:

First snow here with freezing temps.  Last night was perfect for the Sausage Potato Kale soup.

Love how quick and easy it is to prepare.  Just the soup with a ciabatta roll.

and if you want to make stock you now have the outdoor freezer........

we aren't far behind so I am preparing to do stocks this weekend and get them into the freezer for later use in soups, rice dishes and now some pasta ones as well.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Chinese has two words for soup. The most common is 汤 (tāng) which refers to a common soup with a high liquid component. I'd say most of the soups here fall into this category.

Then there is 羹 (gēng) which is a thick soup. These are much more rare in China, but they turn up now and again.

This is on my mind as yesterday I made what is definitely a 羹 (gēng). There is little Chinese about it other than it was made in China. In fact, it's how my mother used to make soup.

chicken soup.jpg

I had half of a salt-baked chicken which I separated into meat and"bits", "bits" being bones, skin, feet and head etc. The "bits" were used to make a quick stock then discarded. The stock was strained through cheesecloth to remove any "bits" of "bits".

Then I sweated some leeks, celery, and carrots, added some chili flakes and shiitake mushrooms, s+p and added that to the stock. When the veg were cooked I added the chicken meat and some leftover cooked rice.

It is a meal in itself and I had it for dinner last night and for breakfast this morning. There is a load leftover which will be in the freezer very soon. Just waiting for it to cool a bit.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto