• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

• 2 weeks later...

Velvet Corn Soup, based on this version:

http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/recipe/10977/Velvet-corn-soup.htm

I modified it a bit - I had no leeks so used a mix of diced yellow onion and whites from green onions and I used chicken in place of veggie stock. I did use a bit of cream. I would probably strain it next time as I think the smooth texture would be nicer. This soup would be nice chilled as well as warm. 

IMGP2858.JPG

Soups since the last post:

• Asparagus, baby candy onion & firm tofu soup in dashi stock. (link)

• Pickled mustard soup w/ chicken drumsticks, sliced ginger, smashed garlic, salt, rice vinegar, mirin-fuu, umezuke. (link)

• Pickled mustard soup w/ duck leg + chicken leg, tomatoes, garlic, etc. (link; scroll down)

• Pork belly & lotus root soup. (link)

• Chicken poaching broth w/ chopped kale. (link)

• Chicken broth w/ some meat & skin, carrots, leafy celery. (link)

• Basil, carrots, chikuwa; chicken stock. (link)

• Fuzzy squash, snow fungus, chicken, chicken stock. (link; scroll down).

• Bok choy in chicken poaching broth. (link)

• Prawn wonton soup. (link)

• Pickled mustard & jerk-rubbed duck legs soup. (link)

• Chicken soup/broth; w/ chicken, carrots, leafy celery; also w/ orecchiette. (link)

Matsutake & spring onion. (link)

• Lotus root soup w/ pork spare ribs and Chinese herbs & other ingredients. (link)

• Miso soup w/ wakame, tofu, scallions. (link)

• Fuzzy melon soup w/ chicken, snow fungus, duck fat. (link)

• Fresh porcini soup. (link; scroll down)

• Opo squash soup w/ pork belly, garlic, dried scallops, snow fungus, tofu. (link; scroll down)

• Red amaranth soup w/ garlic, dried shrimp. (link)

• Tomato soup. (link) (another link)

• Tuscan kale & garlic soup. (link)

Itek Tim. (link)

• Pickled mustard soup w/ chicken & etc, and w/ min6 sin3. (link)

• Snow fungus, scallions, garlic, tofu soup. (link; scroll down)

• Cucumber soup w/ stuff. (link)

• Basil & beech mushroom soup. (link)

• Tuscan kale & basil soup; chiocken & pork stock. (link)

• Shrimp, garlic, Napa cabbage, scallion soup. (link)

Noodle soups:

• “Sapporo Ichiban chicken flavor instant ramen” w/ capicola, tofu puffs, negi, leafy celery. (link)

• “Sapporo Ichiban Chicken-flavored instant ramen” w/ firm tofu, negi, leafy celery, sirloin top cap roast slices, French Breakfast radishes. (link)

• "Mustard Green Duck Soup Flavored rice noodles” w/ additional harm choy, rice vinegar, mirin, scallions & fried shallots. (link)

• “Sapporo Ichiban chicken flavor instant ramen” w/ franks, candy onion, leafy celery, tofu puffs, poached eggs. (link; scroll down)

• Shrimp wonton & noodles & stuff. (link) (another link)

• 3 weeks later...

liuzhou,

Most mushroom soups fail their screen test but still taste delicious. I'm curious though about your "bread"? accompaniment. Is it just ordinary white bread or something different?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

liuzhou,

Most mushroom soups fail their screen test but still taste delicious. I'm curious though about your "bread"? accompaniment. Is it just ordinary white bread or something different?

It's a type of Chinese bread called 白吉饼 (bái jí bǐng - "white lucky cake-shape" would be a word for word translation), similar to a pitta but thicker and chewier. One of the few breads here which aren't laced with sugar and lard.

They also make great hamburger buns.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ah, so suitable for dunking. Thanks for the explanation. Somehow it did not look like Wonder Bread.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

It's a cool day and we are fogged in and it just felt like a soup day, so made Baked Potato Soup from Simply Recipes. I made about 1/3 of the recipe for the two of us but used only 2 smallish potatoes added a bit more stock so it wasn't quite so thick. Also added a bit of cream and lots of toppings. 

IMGP3127.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5

And now I know what Baked Potato Soup is.  Thanks.  Will try some.

I've been on such a soup-making kick this fall that I've run out of containers in which to freeze it and space in my freezer in which to put it.  And not sure why I've done it either...

Chicken soup, Lentil and Spinach soup, Hot & Sour soup, Bean soup, Albondigas soup, Squash soup and a new one for us, Harira soup.

Found a recipe for Harira soup in one of the freebie magazines, Vitality,  which bulk and health food stores give out and thought...well, a soup which combines rice, beans and lentils.  What can that taste like?  Not North American to combine all three in one dish usually (if ever?  Surely someone will let me know and soon. :wink: )  So I tried it and we really liked it.  Didn't have the one ingredient, smen, and am not likely to get it either, but it was good and so filling.

Still have no Beef 'n Barley or Potato soup but they will have to wait.  We eat soup for supper every second night pretty much.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

And now I know what Baked Potato Soup is.  Thanks.  Will try some.

I've been on such a soup-making kick this fall that I've run out of containers in which to freeze it and space in my freezer in which to put it.  And not sure why I've done it either...

Chicken soup, Lentil and Spinach soup, Hot & Sour soup, Bean soup, Albondigas soup, Squash soup and a new one for us, Harira soup.

Found a recipe for Harira soup in one of the freebie magazines, Vitality,  which bulk and health food stores give out and thought...well, a soup which combines rice, beans and lentils.  What can that taste like?  Not North American to combine all three in one dish usually (if ever?  Surely someone will let me know and soon. :wink: )  So I tried it and we really liked it.  Didn't have the one ingredient, smen, and am not likely to get it either, but it was good and so filling.

Still have no Beef 'n Barley or Potato soup but they will have to wait.  We eat soup for supper every second night pretty much.

Some good ideas--I just copied the Harrira soup recipe

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

A very basic soup, but a favourite of mine. Baked Squash Soup with Apple. I baked the squash, along with a sliced onion and some garlic cloves, then mixed with veg stock, grated apple, cumin, coriander, ginger, cayenne. Puréed it, then served with a bit of sour cream. 

Not sure what kind of squash this is, Red Kabocha maybe???  The soup was very good. 

IMGP3133.JPG

IMGP3141.JPG

• Like 5

Another simple soup. Roasted Tomato, Garlic and Onion. Roasted some fresh tomatoes I had left over and peeled them. I don't mind the seeds or the liquid so all went into the soup, along with roasted onion and garlic, some veggie stock, a bit of seasoning. Served with some sour cream. 

IMGP3151.JPG

IMGP3154.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Snow started falling tonight in Calgary. I started stock before the snow hit but the timing is perfect. 

I like to keep veggie scraps in the freezer to add to my stock. This stock had a chicken carcass, dried okra that had been boiled in water,lemon and onion *all added to stock pot*, a whole lemon cut in half, I'm really digging lemon right now. Carrot and onion skins, black pepper corns, whole garlic bulb:

10688306_10152354123317703_6754342420651468389_o.jpg

Once the stock was done I used it for a Portuguese Sausage,Bean and Cabbage Soup, this will be lunches this week:

10710469_10152354628212703_5005004455494559533_o.jpg

• Like 4

Hello- I am a big fan of congee. I prepare a basic porridge and season it with garlic and ginger. Then I use this as a base for anything I have around the house.

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Once the stock was done I used it for a Portuguese Sausage,Bean and Cabbage Soup, this will be lunches this week:

Oh, that does look delicious and warming and just lovely for cooler days! 

• Like 1

Getting cool around here and just back from the shore on a wet and rainy Saturday.  Pulled some lentil vegetable soup out of the freezer to have for lunch tomorrow.  Picked up a rotisserie chicken and after picking most of the meat off the frame is on the stove with a bag of veg scraps at a very low bubble to make broth.  I'm craving mushroom barley and French onion so will probably make one tomorrow and the other on Friday for the weekend.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On a trip to Italy in October, porcini-farro soup was on many menus. When I came home, fresh porcini were abundant in the weekly markets, so I attempted to recreate what I had eaten in Florence. The effort was a complete success.

Porcini-farro soup

In a heavy pot, brown onions and garlic in olive oil. Add one or two chopped carrots, hot red pepper flakes, and two bay leaves and fry a bit more. Add about 150 grams of chopped, fresh porcini mushrooms--less than one-fourth pound--and fry until they begin to give off some of their juices. Add a handful of chopped parsely and mint. Add about two cups of tomatoes--raw or canned will do. Stir and bring to a simmer. Add a liter--or generous four cups--of chicken or beef broth and bring to a simmer. Let cook about ten minutes and then add one cup uncooked farro. Cook for another 20 minutes or so until the farro is done. A shorter cooking time will allow the farro to retain a bit of a bite, if you like it that way.

You could use a half cup of farro and half-cup of dried beans which you soaked and cooked (or canned beans). I'd choose cannellini, borlotti or chick peas.

If you can't get fresh porcini, you can use dried--you will have to soak them until soft before you add them to the soup.jt

image.jpg

Edited by Maedl (log)
  • Like 2

Soups since the last post:

Soups:

• Pork wontons w/ kai lan in chicken broth. (link)

• Beef short ribs (bone-in) & pork belly stew (link)

• Short-cut pork spareribs, garlic, snow fungus and wong nga pak soup. (link)

• Fresh maitake & white button mushroom soup. (link)

• Lotus root soup. (link)

• Pacific White shrimp, garlic, chicken broth, Napa cabbage, scallions. (link)

• Hot & sour shrimp soup, Thai/Tom-yum inspired. (link)

• A variation of bitter gourd & fish soup. (link)

• Pumpkin blossom/squash blossom soup; w/ garlic, dark meat chicken, chicken stock, fish sauce, zucchini. (link)

• Opo squash soup; w/ garlic, pork spare ribs, dried oysters, dried wood-ear fungus, Chinese mushrooms, goji berries, cellophane noodles. (link)

• Cucumber soup; w/ chicken thighs, duck leg, Poona Kheera & Brown Russian cucumbers, garlic (Music), dried cuttlefish, dried Solomon's Seal rhizome, dried longans, dried tangerine peel, Chinese jujubes, chicken fat. (link)

• White Russian kale (de-ribbed) & garlic in chicken stock. (link)

• Daikon & minced pork  ball soup in pork bone soup. (link)

• Soup, with Chicken fat, garlic, dark meat chicken, snow fungus, angled loofah. (link)

• Pickled mustard soup; w/ chicken, Japanese Trifele tomatoes, ginger, sour plums, vinegar", jozo-mirin, etc. (link)

• Chicken broth w/ red carrots, Chinese celery, ginger & sea salt. (link; scroll down)

• Soupy fish curry. (link; scroll down)

• Bak Kut Teh. (link; scroll down)

• Old Cucumber Soup; w/ stuff. (link1; link2)

• Soup: straw mushrooms & leafy celery in milky pork stock diluted w/ water & chicken stock. (link)

• Baby Shanghai bok choy, wilted in and served with (sieved) chicken broth. (link)

• Soup w/ chicken stock, hon-dashi, straw mushrooms, wakame, scallions. (link)

• More Bak Kut Teh, a lighter version. (link)

• Soup, w/ chicken legs, garlic, sea salt, Savoy cabbage, jozo mirin, couple splashes of Maggi sauce. (link)

• Soup, w/ garlic, sour shrimp paste, red & green shishito peppers, green zucchini, white mushrooms, jozo mirin, fish sauce, hon mirin, wild American shrimp. (link)

• A ramped-up Itek Tim. (link)

• Asparagus & standard mushrooms in chicken stock. (link)

• Mushroom soup, w/ fresh maitake, fresh white beech, canned straw mushrooms; in a chicken broth + chicken fat. (link)

• Miso soup; w/ Katsuobushi stock, Hon-dashi, cut wakame, Tokyo negi (white part only), aburaage, shiro miso , green parts of scallions. (link)

Noodle soups:

• Shanghai Yangchun noodles w/ duck wing stock/broth and chopped scallions (link)

• Chicken slow-simmered broth w/ celery, carrots, parsley stems; with min6 sin3. (link)

• “Instant Noodles Artificial Hot &Sour Shrimp Flavor” (酸辣蝦麵) [Dragonfly] w/ garlic, celery, mushrooms, scallions, eggs, prawns, coriander leaves. (link) 

• Chicken, snow fungus & angled loofah soup; with Fuzhou-type thin wheat noodles. (link)

• "Instant Noodles Artificial Pork Ribs Flavor" [Dragonfly] w/ Tuscan kale, peppered beef, eggs, Zephyr squash & fried shallots. (link)

• "Ibumie Penang Lad Mee Perisa Lada Pedas (Hot Pepper Flavour)"; w/ garlic, Tuscan kale, sweet Italian red pepper, fish balls, eggs. (link)

• "Fresh" pork tonkotsu ramen [sun Noodles]; with Chinese char-siu, Pull Mustard, "fish tofu", scallions, eggs. (link)

• "Hong Kong Style Wonton Soup Flavored Instant Noodle King" (生麵皇) [sau Tao], with scallions, corned beef slices, eggs, Napa cabbage. (link)

• "Instant Noodles Artificial Pork-Ribs Flavor" (紅燒排骨麵) [Dragonfly brand]; w/ kkakdugi marinating liquid, Debreziner sausages, yellow onion, eggs, kai-lan. (link)

• Skinny wonton noodles w/ vegetable broth and some of the vegetables; plus spinach & Dodge City salami. (link)

• "QQ Abalone and Chicken Soup Flavored Vermicelli" [sau Tao]; w/ chicken thighs, romaine heart, spinach, button mushrooms. (link)

• "Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor" [Dragonfly]; w/ Dodge City salami, broccoli, spinach, shrimp, eggs, plus some other stuff. (link; scroll down)

• "Sapporo Ichiban Japanese-style Noodles & Chicken Flavored Soup"; w/ chicken, romaine lettuce, scallions, garlic. (link, link)

• "Stirfried Kimchi Noodles" [Paldo]; w/ kkakdugi, kibun takebue chikuwa, pork meatballs, Napa cabbage, "pull mustard", scallions. (link)

• Kimchi noodle soup; w/ Chinese roast pork, baby bok choy, scallions. (link)

• "Shin Black Spicy Pot-au-feu Flavor Noodle Soup" [Nongshim] with scallions, shishito peppers, deep-fried shallots. (link)

• Pork & shrimp wontons [Prime Food] w/ skinny wonton noodles, romaine lettuce, scallions; in a shiitake/"stock fish"/chicken stock soup. (link)

• Laksa lemak, with poached chicken, shrimp, mung bean sprouts, laksa leaves. (link)

Congees:

• Pork belly rice congee w/ preserved mustard stems & soy puffs. (link)

• Rice congee w/ fish. (link)

• Rice congee w/ pork spare ribs, pork belly, chillied bamboo shoots, Chinese mushrooms, & tofu. (link)

• Rice congee w/ pork spare ribs, chicken, salted mustard, ginger, garlic, aburaage, scallions. (link)  Additionally w/ raw egg. (link)

• Rice congee; w/ ginger (lots), garlic, pork spare ribs, salt, ja choi (榨菜), dried Chinese mushrooms, fried tofu puffs; and w/ deep-fried shallots, scallions, coriander leaves. (link)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jamacian yellow split pea soup...yellow split peas, vegetable broth, onions, carrots, turnips, parsnips, scallion, thyme and bay leaves.  Really good and served with some ciabatta bread and some cheese.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMG_1768.jpg

Baked potato soup - stock made in the pressure cooker with the bones from a rib roast, cooked leeks in beef fat from the stock, pureed with part of the potatoes, the remaining potatoes added in chunks with the skins.  Bacon, cheese and green onions.  

• Like 6

• 3 months later...