• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

2 hours ago, shain said:

I never made this dish (though it's on my to do list, so I'd love to hear your input once you make it). I think that since the kashk is rehydrated, than you can substitute it with a "fresh" product - you just need to nail the flavor profile. Kashk develops cheese like flavors since it's aged. I would go with a strong flavored labaneh if you can get it. You might also be able to ACH good results by using regular yogurt/labaneh along with a bit of a mildly funky cheese, maybe Pecorino.

Thanks. You have a good sense of flavors. I can get it at local Persian markets but not able to get to them now. Will try to drain a goat yogurt and add some funky cheese which I can get. Do keep it on your "to do' long list. It has that mother's milk comfort with enough flavor variety to keep it interesting for a single person eating it multiple times from one batch.   Los Angeles does have an area known as Tehrangeles  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrangeles

heidih

heidih

2 hours ago, shain said:

I never made this dish (though it's on my to do list, so I'd love to hear your input once you make it). I think that since the kashk is rehydrated, than you can substitute it with a "fresh" product - you just need to nail the flavor profile. Kashk develops cheese like flavors since it's aged. I would go with a strong flavored labaneh if you can get it. You might also be able to ACH good results by using regular yogurt/labaneh along with a bit of a mildly funky cheese, maybe Pecorino.

Thanks. You have a good sense of flavors. I can get it at local Persian markets but not able to get to them now. Will try to drain a goat yogurt and add some funky cheese which I can get. Do keep it on your "to do' long list. It has that mother's milk comfort with enough flavor variety to keep it interesting for a single person eating it multiple times from one batch.