• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Hey Guys and Ladies, could you please direct me to a good recipe for split pea soup? I'd be interested in no-meat versions as well. I do like a smokey flavor. Fewer ingredients are better for me. Thank you in advance!

I just bought split peas last week. My dead easy vegetarian version is peas, water, and a chub of soyrizo in the crockpot. The soyrizo has a lot of flavor.  if I have chicken or other stock in freezer I'll use that as part of the liquid. I find the peas sweet enough so I don't add carrots. One of those, to me, greater than the sum of its parts dishes. I am not a ham hock fan but sure others here have some delicious recipes with the beloved smoked pork part.

heidih

heidih

17 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Hey Guys and Ladies, could you please direct me to a good recipe for split pea soup? I'd be interested in no-meat versions as well. I do like a smokey flavor. Fewer ingredients are better for me. Thank you in advance!

I just bought split peas last week. My dead easy vegetarian version is peas, water, and a chub of soyrizo in the crockpot. The soyrizo has a lot of flavor.  if I have chicken or other stock in freezer I'll use that as part of the liquid. I find the peas sweet enough so I don't add carrots. One of those, to me, greater tan the sum of its parts dishes. I am not a ham hock fan but sure others here have some delicious recipes with the beloved smoked pork part.