• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

Glad more lovage will be loved!

I am going to make more but this time I will try using more of the stems.  I thought they might be bitter....maybe I'll just cook them separately and see what that's like...then add some of the other ingredients but the key is blending the leaves at the end.  It is really a beautiful green.

Found this nice looking recipe.  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/herb-bed/lovage-recipes-anyone_63010.html

That looks like a lot of rice.  I will use the lemon zest and juice idea as well as the chives.  I also have some garlic scape puree in the freezer........

Wild Garlic, Lemon & Lovage Soup

Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped 
1 bunch wild garlic, finely chopped (Or, chives finely chopped) 
1/2 head celery, finely copped 
2 stems fresh lovage, finely chopped (Or, 1/2 teaspoon dried lovage) 
1 lemon, grated zest and juice 
200g rice 
1 litre vegetable stock 
salt and pepper, to season 
a little butter or vegetable oil for sweating the vegetables 

Add the chopped onion, wild garlic and celery to a large saucepan with a little butter or oil and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the rice and stir before adding the vegetable stock, chopped lovage, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper to season. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and vegetables are soft.

Check the seasoning before serving in warm soup bowls with crusty bread and/or croutons.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

I am going to make more but this time I will try using more of the stems.  I thought they might be bitter....maybe I'll just cook them separately and see what that's like...then add some of the other ingredients but the key is blending the leaves at the end.  It is really a beautiful green.

Found this nice looking recipe.  That looks like a lot of rice.  I will use the lemon zest and juice idea as well as the chives.  I also have some garlic scape puree in the freezer........

Wild Garlic, Lemon & Lovage Soup

Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped 
1 bunch wild garlic, finely chopped (Or, chives finely chopped) 
1/2 head celery, finely copped 
2 stems fresh lovage, finely chopped (Or, 1/2 teaspoon dried lovage) 
1 lemon, grated zest and juice 
200g rice 
1 litre vegetable stock 
salt and pepper, to season 
a little butter or vegetable oil for sweating the vegetables 

Add the chopped onion, wild garlic and celery to a large saucepan with a little butter or oil and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the rice and stir before adding the vegetable stock, chopped lovage, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper to season. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and vegetables are soft.

Check the seasoning before serving in warm soup bowls with crusty bread and/or croutons.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook