• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Green chile clean out the fridge soup a la Instant Pot.

less that 2 qts chicken bone broth

1 cup frozen hot green chile

shredded carrots-dried

dried shallot slices

1 tbsp tomate con pollo powder

1/2 package cream cheese 

1/2 cup leftover beer cheese fondue

1/3 jar Trader Joe's salsa verde

5-6 minutes under pressure.

It's cold here for us, so spicy-creamy soup hits the spot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Winter squash soup (half recipe) from Smitten Kitchen Keepers. I had a bag of Kabocha squash cubes in the freezer, which worked well for this once defrosted. I did not make the toasted onion/garlic/coconut garnish, since this is destined for the freezer. The squash was sweet, so this savory recipe is nice for balance.

7AD81AD3-F6A3-42E2-8EF8-F8F8B5EA0624.jpeg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Barley soup with parsnips, chard and lemon-parsley mojo from Grist.

C9C8B984-E81F-4D8C-8871-87BC66758E1D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.78916b5bcaa2e8a1079dc9b46fdddc37.jpeg

Thin ribbons of fresh chard are piled in the bowl and the soup is ladled in, cooking the greens.  The soup itself lacks acid so the lemon-parsley mojo is absolutely necessary.  I added diced, salt-preserved lemon to the mojo for a little extra oomph. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

• 2 months later...

I had a very leafy bunch of celery so I decided to try the Celery Leaf Soup from Hetty Liu McKinnon's Tenderheart.

Garlic, green onion, ginger and potatoes are cooking in stock while the celery leaves go in at the end. 

538D0CB8-0F8F-4344-AE0A-371CC25F2B23.thumb.jpeg.066b1b6fcce9fc52bb62bb4cb5bbc8a3.jpeg

After blending and garnishing with more green onions and TJ's jalapeño, lime & onion chili crisp.

EE50B9E4-857E-4BA1-BEA5-98DDE055F5FC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.85c93d4ea26a4fca2d3a8b6f53d15622.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

• 3 months later...

I made a batch of yellow split pea soup this morning (brother and SIL will be visiting from Ontario).

This is our traditional family recipe.

Peas and ham bone cooked together for appr. 1-1.5 hrs., bone removed, vegetables (onion, carrot, celery and garlic) and seasonings (pepper, fine herbs, summer savory and a touch of cayenne) added to peas and cooked for another 45 min. or so.

Meanwhile remove all usable meat from the bone, bulk it up with extra ham, and add to the soup and cook for another 15-30 min. Cool and store overnight. Reheat, check seasoning and serve.

DSCN1210.thumb.JPG.617c0b0419653d3c3ee877efa43d95ff.JPGDSCN1209.thumb.JPG.ae6695f686ee182e34894121d3d21253.JPGDSCN1211.thumb.JPG.380ab10208641dc36f4f96db50201331.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Seeing Senior Sea Kayaker's post on his wonderful Split Pea soup reminds me that I've made so many soups lately.  The  best of the lot was a Tomato Basil Soup.  It was truly a 'died and gone to heaven' experience, made with real tomatoes.  Other soups were made with overabundances of all sort of vegetables...cabbage, spinach, carrots, etc.  I'm going to quit for a while.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

5 hours ago, Darienne said:

Seeing Senior Sea Kayaker's post on his wonderful Split Pea soup reminds me that I've made so many soups lately.  The  best of the lot was a Tomato Basil Soup.  It was truly a 'died and gone to heaven' experience, made with real tomatoes.  Other soups were made with overabundances of all sort of vegetables...cabbage, spinach, carrots, etc.  I'm going to quit for a while.  

Tomato is the only type i consider soup for some reason. Everything else is a puree and NOT soup. I expect soup to have ingrecients you can see. I guess i consider tomato a soup because i add grilled cheese pieces to it.

• Like 1

I’ve discovered a vendor at our Farmers Market who cans her excess tomatoes so they are right out of the garden…probably like @Shelbymakes.  $12 for a litre glass jar.  I use one to make a batch of very simple tomato soup.  I don’t have a garden now that we moved to a condo so this is perfect for me.  I will be stocking up for the winter.  She didn’t have any on her sales bench last week…I asked her ? Are you making them this year and she said that was her project for the week.  I am anticipating the price to be a bit higher.  I am still buying them!

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 4

Funny - to me soup was our classic Sunday meal.The noodles made earlier in week by Alte Oma - fine egg noodles, Boiled separately to not cloud the broth. Beef eaten as 2nd course with boiled potatoes, and choice of tomato or sour cream+horseradish sauce. Oh that beef broth! Linda like this but the onions were studded with cloved  https://www.wien.info/en/dine-drink/viennese-cuisine/recipes/classical-viennese-beef-soup-343382

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I’ve discovered a vendor at our Farmers Market who cans her excess tomatoes so they are right out of the garden…probably like @Shelbymakes.  $12 for a litre glass jar.  I use one to make a batch of very simple tomato soup.  I don’t have a garden now that we moved to a condo so this perfect for me.  I will be stocking up for the winter.  She didn’t have any on her sales bench last week…I asked her ? Are Taney and she said that was her project for the week.  I am anticipating the price to be a bit higher.  I am still buying them!

Stock up if she has them......very worth it IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FeChef said:

Tomato is the only type i consider soup for some reason. Everything else is a puree and NOT soup. I expect soup to have ingrecients you can see. I guess i consider tomato a soup because i add grilled cheese pieces to it.

My GF and I have a variation of this disagreement, in that she only likes thick soups: purees, cream soups, etc. I like them well enough, but eat broth-y soups more often than thick ones, by a ratio of maybe 5 or 6 to 1. So I'll often make a base soup, then remove 1/4 to 1/3 and puree it (and thicken further as needed) for her. I eat soup a lot more often than she does, because she eats just twice a day and her breakfast-time corresponds with my dinnertime, so that ratio works for us.

Early in our relationship, when discussing meal options, I'd suggested soup and was stupefied by her response that "Soup isn't a meal!" Eventually I came to understand that this is because she grew up in a non-cooking family and "soup" was automatically Campbell's, divided between three siblings. So for her it was something you ate with a sandwich, or before the main dish; whereas for me hearty homemade soups (accompanied by nothing more than a slice of homemade bread) were a standard weekday meal.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

My GF and I have a variation of this disagreement, in that she only likes thick soups: purees, cream soups, etc. I like them well enough, but eat broth-y soups more often than thick ones, by a ratio of maybe 5 or 6 to 1. So I'll often make a base soup, then remove 1/4 to 1/3 and puree it (and thicken further as needed) for her. I eat soup a lot more often than she does, because she eats just twice a day and her breakfast-time corresponds with my dinnertime, so that ratio works for us.

Early in our relationship, when discussing meal options, I'd suggested soup and was stupefied by her response that "Soup isn't a meal!" Eventually I came to understand that this is because she grew up in a non-cooking family and "soup" was automatically Campbell's, divided between three siblings. So for her it was something you ate with a sandwich, or before the main dish; whereas for me hearty homemade soups (accompanied by nothing more than a slice of homemade bread) were a standard weekday meal.

I agree with you, CD, on the liquid aspect of soups, whereas Ed likes thick...the thicker the better.  But he likes malted milks (not that he's had one in the last 60 years) and I can't stand them.   And I could go on...but won't...at great length about how we seem to like quite a number of our foods not in the same way.  Might explain why I NEVER cook anything his Mother ever cooked.  

As for soup as a meal.  I grew up with Campbell's (yechhh) also whereas Ed's Mother was a terrific cook although I don't think Ed ever ate soup as a meal.  We do constantly as I have become an inveterate soup maker...not @FeChef would consider the vast majority of them 'soup'.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, chromedome said:

I am with your wife on not considering soup a meal. With the exception of a hearty soup like Ham and string bean, or chicken pot pie which i actually consider them stews.

12 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I am with your wife on not considering soup a meal. With the exception of a hearty soup like Ham and string bean, or chicken pot pie which i actually consider them stews.

I grew up with brothy soup. Just broth + homemade thin egg noodles (boiled separately to not cloud) and maybe the carror, gizzrd or heart from broth. But there woukd be a met & potato course to follow. Pho for breakfast = a favorite. I like personalizing my bowl. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my winter lunchtime favorites from years ago wads Campbell's Bean and Bacon soup.

But now I want to make it at home.

And I found this recipe from RachelCooks.com

Bean and Bacon Soup (canned or dry beans!)

Smoky bacon and creamy white beans are combined in this familiar homestyle bean and bacon soup. So flavorful and easy to make.
Ingredients
▢8 ounces thick cut bacon, diced
▢1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
▢1 cup diced carrots (about 2 carrots)
▢3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs of celery)
▢1 clove garlic, minced
▢2 tablespoons tomato paste
▢4 cups chicken broth, unsalted
▢3 cups water
▢3 (15 oz) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 lb. dry beans, see note)
▢2 bay leaves
▢1 teaspoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
▢1 teaspoon kosher salt
▢1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
Instructions
In a large heavy bottomed pan, cook the bacon over medium heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
Add vegetables to pan and cook until onions are translucent and carrots and celery are beginning to soften, 4-5 minutes.
Add garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for another minute or until fragrant.
Add chicken broth, water, beans, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and half of bacon. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Remove about half of the soup, and puree the remaining soup using either a hand-held immersion blender or a traditional blender. Stir blended and unblended soup together and add remaining bacon, reserving some to garnish, if desired.

On the menu for next week after I pick up my grocery order.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

41 minutes ago, lindag said:

One of my winter lunchtime favorites from years ago was Campbell's Bean and Bacon soup.

@lindag, it was a favorite of mine also...76 years ago.  It goes back that far.  

Good luck with the recipe.  Please report back.

(Do they still make it?  And does it taste the same?)

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, lindag said:

One of my winter lunchtime favorites from years ago wads Campbell's Bean and Bacon soup.

Smoky bacon and creamy white beans are combined in this familiar homestyle bean and bacon soup. So flavorful and easy to make.
Ingredients
▢8 ounces thick cut bacon, diced
▢1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
▢1 cup diced carrots (about 2 carrots)
▢3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs of celery)
▢1 clove garlic, minced
▢2 tablespoons tomato paste
▢4 cups chicken broth, unsalted
▢3 cups water
▢3 (15 oz) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 lb. dry beans, see note)
▢2 bay leaves
▢1 teaspoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
▢1 teaspoon kosher salt
▢1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
Instructions
In a large heavy bottomed pan, cook the bacon over medium heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
Add vegetables to pan and cook until onions are translucent and carrots and celery are beginning to soften, 4-5 minutes.
Add garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for another minute or until fragrant.
Add chicken broth, water, beans, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and half of bacon. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Remove about half of the soup, and puree the remaining soup using either a hand-held immersion blender or a traditional blender. Stir blended and unblended soup together and add remaining bacon, reserving some to garnish, if desired.

On the menu for next week after I pick up my grocery order.

Thank you for this recipe! I just unearthed some frozen, cooked giant white beans (RG Royal Coronas, perhaps) from the freezer. This looks like an excellent use for them.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thank you for this recipe! I just unearthed some frozen, cooked giant white beans (RG Royal Coronas, perhaps) from the freezer. This looks like an excellent use for them.

Actually I have some dried white beans and just might make this soup tomorrow.  Thanks @lindag.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

@lindag 

in the past I sued to add  extra bacon.

I'm pretty sure that's a typo, but it's a very amusing one. The headlines would just write themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 10/11/2023 at 7:53 AM, lindag said:

Thanks, I made a half-batch of this soup last night for dinner. 🙂

I never think to take pictures anymore, sorry. 

I used some Rancho Gordo Cassoulet beans and ham instead of bacon, as that's what I had available. 

It probably would have been more flavourful with bacon, but it was still good. I added some Kirkland No-salt seasoning blend and a tiny bit of hot sauce to give it a bit more depth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ended up making this yesterday after a quick trip to the store for the ham.

Yes, I wanted ham instead of the bacon as I'm more partial to ham.

I t was quite good although, like @FauxPas, I ended up punching up the flavor a bit.  Used a little  Worcestershire and hot sauce. 

I'll use this recipe again.

• Like 4