• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

• 2 weeks later...

Got up this Monday morning to find it raining as though it intended to do so all day. Plus, it was that miserable chilly that 50 degrees can be after you've had a couple of days of spring 70-degree sunshine.

There is only one thing to do: Make soup. At this moment, I am leaning toward posole, as I have a chunk of pork shoulder in the freezer, and a can of hominy, and I always have chicken broth and tomatoes. Any other thoughts?

Posole would also call for arepas. With whole kernel corn and cotija in them. 

And I have a notion to bake something sweet and citrusy. 

Looks like a kitchen day to me.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

Brother-in-law whose actual birthday is today requested spiral sliced ham for his birthday dinner we did last Friday.  I was smart enough to keep the bone and enough of the unsliced ham to get a pot of split pea soup with ham on the stove right now.  Came up to add the chopped carrots to cook down and prep the red potatoes that will go in in about 30 minutes.  As we have snow showers and it is around 40 F it seemed like a good idea.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

I really love homemade soups.

I don't, however, remember my Mom, who was a very good cook, ever making soup.  I think it must have been because my Dad was strictly a meat and potatoes man.

Nothing gives me more pleasure than putting together a great pot of soup except making my own bread.

• Like 4

On 05/05/2018 at 1:11 AM, lindag said:

I really love homemade soups.

I don't, however, remember my Mom, who was a very good cook, ever making soup.  I think it must have been because my Dad was strictly a meat and potatoes man.

Nothing gives me more pleasure than putting together a great pot of soup except making my own bread.

Yes, my father was like that, too. Soup only ever came in cans, and then rarely.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 5/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, shain said:

Last soup until next winter.

Spring minestrone. With peas and green fava beans. Pasta, red pepper, pesto, fennel and fennel seeds.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I eat soups in summer more than in winter (admittedly, summers here are probably more moderate than where you live). I find it a nice, light meal, not too burdensome when the weather is ghastly hot (which, by my standards, is anything beyond the high 20s C/70s F).

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I eat soups in summer more than in winter (admittedly, summers here are probably more moderate than where you live). I find it a nice, light meal, not too burdensome when the weather is ghastly hot (which, by my standards, is anything beyond the high 20s C/70s F).

Day temps above 30c are very common during high summer here. That said, it's not that I don't eat soup, I do almost daily during my workplace lunch service, I just don't cook it. 

~ Shai N.

I don't cook hot soups much in the summer, but I will keep watermelon gazpacho in the fridge most all summer long. Love the stuff.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I also like watermelon gazpacho, and last summer I made fresh corn chowder...which includes the stop of boiling the cobs to make corn broth. I do still eat soup at lunch time since I can get it made by others.

Hmmm, just had the brilliant idea to give my veggie wish list to my co-worker who has a large garden, I should be able to get tomato gazpacho fixin's from him in August.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2018 at 9:08 AM, shain said:

Last soup until next winter.

Spring minestrone. With peas and green fava beans. Pasta, red pepper, pesto, fennel and fennel seeds.

IMG_20180413_205953.thumb.jpg.834fb66e1cf6aa69b39b0bc5e57f00df.jpg

I'll say it again, looks delicious.  My fava beans are almost ready, the peas are ready, basil is in abundance and I have a red pepper....just need to get me some fennel!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I'm sure it tastes just fine, but have to say it looks radioactive!

As my almost 96 year old would say "but they are good for you". Man would eat cow dung if it was conidered "healthy". 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm sure it tastes just fine, but have to say it looks radioactive!

It tastes very refreshing.  But the color is rather intense, I agree ;)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm not a big fan of soups, but made this yesterday and it's delicious.  Especially as our snow season approaches.  Kale and Sausage Soup with a bit of parmesan garnish.

IMG_0530.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2