• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2007–2012)

Carrot Top

couple of recent ones:

017.JPG

Minestrone invernale (winter minestrone)

Contains a seriously frightening amount of vegetables, as well as cannellini beans, leftover cooked rice, bean cooking liquid, water, sea salt, black pepper, assorted fresh herbs, Parm-Reg cheese and olive oil.

Full recipe on the blog.

020.JPG

Zuppa di radicchio e scarola (radicchio and escarole soup, with toasted garlic croutons)

Doable in 15 minutes, including prep.

The version pictured above isn't vegetarian (b/c of chicken stock), but you can switch to vegetable stock instead, if you were inclined. To that, add shredded escarole and radicchio. Bring to the stock to a boil, add the greens and cook for 5 minutes or until greens are tender. Fry cubes of bread that has been rubbed with a clove of garlic beforehand in olive oil until golden brown. Taste soup for salt and pepper, then ladle into serving bowls. Add croutons, stir in a spoonful of pecorino romano cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, then serve at once.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Perhaps pg 53 of this book might suggest one possible answer: Section in "Food Science"

Personally, it wouldn't bother me that it may thin out a bit. (Not that I use much corn starch anyway to start with, if at all, when I make hot & sour soup)

Thanks for that. I think I will try boiling the soup harder and longer after adding the cornstarch and also add the vinegar afterwards. According to the book I will get better gelatinization. I doubt there is enough vinegar in the soup to lower the ph enough to cause such a marked thinning of the soup.