• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2007–2012)

Carrot Top

reheated for lunch -

garlic potato soup from the current Cook's Illustrated.  it was sooooooo good. if you like garlic and potatoes do try this recipe.  topped it with some frizzled prosciutto.

Here is an (out of focus, sorry!) image of the CI Garlic Potato Soup that I made this weekend. Sometimes a photo can inspire, I hope this is the case. The soup is topped with garlic chips and chives. Really yummy, not too fussy. Happy Cooking!

rich

gallery_19092_935_207908.jpg

Edited: A 'better' photo

rcaffelle, that's a great looking soup which sounds wonderful - any chance you could share the recipe?

Rover

rcaffelle, that's a great looking soup which sounds wonderful - any chance you could share the recipe?

Rover

This recipe was literally just published by Cook's Illustrated so I'm hestitant to post it.

I recommend this months' issue, it's got 6 recipes that I'll be trying.

rich

Roasted Bell Pepper Soup with Garlic Croutons.

I roasted a bunch of yellow and a couple of orange peppers until black (you can use red - I'm not crazy about green) - peeled them. Sauteed some onions, and into the pot went the peppers, a couple of chopped potatoes and chicken stock. Simmer until everything is soft and puree with the immersion blender. Salt and black pepper. I used to do this with vegetable stock and added some cream at the end - but this was dairy-free. Bread cubes tossed with olive oil and lots of fresh garlic then toasted.

gallery_25849_641_27250.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Albondigas Soup from "The Border Cookbook".

I posted about it in the Dinner thread, but thought it would also go nicely here since it was really easy and absolutely delicious.

gallery_15557_2797_9976.jpg

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

simple country mushroom soup tonight with chicken stock as broth base, abundant sliced and sauteed cremini/onion, roasted baby carrots and several cloves of chopped garlic, a bit of ground allspice. served over sourdough bread rounds baked with evoo and herbs, flat leaf parsley and grated fontinella cheese.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

If there's nothing else going in in your fridge, like delicious cuts of meat, well, there's soup.

We defrosted some chicken stock and made an a la minute quasi minestrone -- zucchini, garlic, carrots, broccoli rabe, mushrooms , cabbage, romaine -- whatever was lurking in the depths of the vegetable drawer, along with some crushed tomatoes and a can of cannelini beans. Topped with grated parm and accompanied by queso/refried bean quesidillas.

This is what we call a "free" dinner.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 5 months later...

The only soups I've made all this summer were gazpacho (repeatedly), miso, and corn chowder.

But tonight soup called. It's hot outside and raining and the first week of school is over for the kids. Everyone is exhausted.

Instead of curling up before the fire, we curled up before the air-conditioning and had soup.

Chunky broccoli-scallion-cheddar with spicy sugared almonds to munch on and black forest ham with chutney tea sandwiches.

The season has begun. :wink:

The only soups I've made all this summer were gazpacho (repeatedly), miso, and corn chowder.

But tonight soup called. It's hot outside and raining and the first week of school is over for the kids. Everyone is exhausted.

Instead of curling up before the fire, we curled up before the air-conditioning and had soup.

Chunky broccoli-scallion-cheddar with spicy sugared almonds to munch on and black forest ham with chutney tea sandwiches.

The season has begun.  :wink:

Soup is calling, isn't it? I'm with you that even in the heat, I love cheddar corn chowder. This is Ina Garten's recipe, with a little thyme and paprika added.

gallery_24065_1826_118752.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's TIME!

I am so hot for soup.

Chowder(s), tomato soups, chilis, beef and vegs, stews, braises, cream and whatever, and on, and on and on.

I am so ready for soup season, I can't stand it!!

My only problem is I'm a single, and while I cook for a crowd, I can only eat in small portions.

You can only freeze so much, eat only so much thawed soup, and experiment with new soups only so little.

But let the fall begin!

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

There are "Small Batch" baking and preserving books. Maybe it's time to write a cookbook on "Small Batch Soups".

Last week I made my first yellow split pea with ham soup of the season after making a batch of ham stock. I also made some chicken stock so I would have it in the freezer for other soups. I also made a small batch of baked potato and onion soup.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Super photos, monovano... Caldo Verde is one of my favorite soups and it is so easy to whip up different variations all through the cooler months.

That cheddar corn chowder looks and sounds amazing as well. What's your approach to incorporating the cheddar into a corn chowder recipe? Do you basically add shredded cheese at the end of making the chowder and stir to melt?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Super photos, monovano...  Caldo Verde is one of my favorite soups and it is so easy to whip up different variations all through the cooler months.

That cheddar corn chowder looks and sounds amazing as well.  What's your approach to incorporating the cheddar into a corn chowder recipe?  Do you basically add shredded cheese at the end of making the chowder and stir to melt?

Kale has been around all summer but I felt the urge to make Caldo Verde when I saw it at the market last week. I made it with kielbasa too (shhhhhh! :wink: ).

The cheddar corn chowder is inspired by Ina Garten's recipe, to which I change up a couple of things. Shredded cheddar is added at the end, just to gild the lilly a bit!

lovely soups but it was about 90 degrees and humid here today. earlier in the week i did make a zucchini-rice soup that was served warm, not hot. it was from The Flexitarian Table cookbook which i would highly recommend checking out.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This week I made chicken soup for my ailing husband and daughter. I make it in the traditional way, but when it's for sick folks, I add a knob of ginger and almost a whole head of garlic to it. Makes it warming and aromatic. I squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the bowl before serving.

Husband is much better today!

This is fantastic! I used 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, more garlic, etc:

Yellow Pepper Soup

http://www.recipezaar.com/22104

Another good one - I increased the amounts of ground ginger and fresh ginger, plus I added some ground cardamom and curry powder:

Carrot Soup With Spinach Chiffonade

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/248

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

monavano, your soups are spectacular. I am not familiar with  Caldo Verde. Can someone recommend a good source for a recipe for that soup?

Thanks!

Caldo Verde is Portuguese kale soup. It's simple, yet hearty and delicious. My recipe is inspired byEmeril's , who's show first enlightened me to this dish.

I am a soup fan as well. I succumb to cooking soups in large batches – my 23-quart Le Creuset pot begs for large volumes. What makes it worse is my best friend has the same pot, so I tend to go for two (46-quarts) and freeze what I cook. While I do quite a bit of entertaining, it’s just my two young boys (both with advanced palates) and I at home, so my cooking throughput often exceeds demand.

I purchased a six-quart All Clad sauce pot (the six quart stock pot has been difficult to find). When I use this, it forces me to consider portion control.

Having said that, I am interested to know how everyone goes about pairing a wine with his or her soup. Many oenophiles tell me they would never attempt to match a wine with a soup course. I disagree. For example, I like white Burgundy with cream of white asparagus soup. What to you say? Do you have a methodology of pairing this wonderful course?

Edited by Motochef (log)

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

This week I made chicken soup for my ailing husband and daughter. I make it in the traditional way, but when it's for sick folks, I add a knob of ginger and almost a whole head of garlic to it. Makes it warming and aromatic. I squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the bowl before serving.

Glad they're feeling better. The addition of ginger, garlic and lemon juice is a wonderful idea I'll need to remember when the next cold strikes our house. Thanks!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Glad they're feeling better. The addition of ginger, garlic and lemon juice is a wonderful idea I'll need to remember when the next cold strikes our house. Thanks!

ludja and foodies 52 -

have you ever added fresh tarragon to the pot?

Edited by Motochef (log)

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

I am a soup fan as well.  I succumb to cooking soups in large batches – my 23-quart Le Creuset pot begs for large volumes.  What makes it worse is my best friend has the same pot, so I tend to go for two (46-quarts) and freeze what I cook.  While I do quite a bit of entertaining, it’s just my two young boys (both with advanced palates) and I at home, so my cooking throughput often exceeds demand.

I purchased a six-quart All Clad sauce pot (the six quart stock pot has been difficult to find).  When I use this, it forces me to consider portion control.

Having said that, I am interested to know how everyone goes about pairing a wine with his or her soup.  Many oenophiles tell me they would never attempt to match a wine with a soup course.  I disagree.  For example, I like white Burgundy with cream of white asparagus soup.  What to you say?  Do you have a methodology of pairing this wonderful course?

23 quart Le Creuset? Am. so. jealous.

I think wine goes well with and in soup.

I'm going to try out the garlic and ginger additions to. Sounds like it would cures what ails you.

There is a Le Crueset 20 quart stockpot, but the biggest enamelled cast iron pot I've seen of thiers is 15 quarts. :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.