• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Picked up a few things the last few weeks. I went to the beach in Maryland a few weeks ago and picked up the Green Hat.  Had a sip or two.  Not overly impressed with the profile but I have yet to try it in a cocktail which may  make a big difference.  A restock of Plantation Rum one of my favorites.  I was in DC this weekend and on a visit to Ace I picked up the Hayman sloe, Castarede Armangac, El Dorado over proof and Lost Spirits navy Strength.  I'm interested to see how the Hayman differs from the wonderful Plymouth Sloe.

I have tried the Armangac and the navy Strength.  The navy Strength has a nose and a half.  I poured some then came back in the room and the entire space smelled like molasses. It tastes like wray and nephew with a little wood essence mixed in.  A little water changes the nose remarkably. after the addition it smells like yeasty and sweet, almost like pancakes with some good maple syrup.  Not a sipper but I would like to try it in a cocktail. The armangac was a pleasant surprise.  I bought some armangac(another brand) several years ago and it was nondescript character-less brown liquor.  This  actually tasted pretty good.  It wasn't as rustic/rough as I imagined but was light and yet full of flavor. 

Congrats on picking up the Rattray, Hassouni

castarede and rum.JPG

• Like 1

The navy Strength has a nose and a half. I poured some then came back in the room and the entire space smelled like molasses. It tastes like wray and nephew with a little wood essence mixed in. A little water changes the nose remarkably. after the addition it smells like yeasty and sweet, almost like pancakes with some good maple syrup. Not a sipper but I would like to try it in a cocktail.

That one is crazy off the charts, in a good way. Last week at TikiO, I had a chance to meet Bryan Davis, the distiller of Lost Spirits, and try a few of his creations. Really good stuff.

This is absurd.

Indeed. Like a lot of things in life I suppose. Probably best to run with them and not ask too many questions?

My latest purchases.

14845777068_fd1e09eac2_z.jpg

The Dolin white & red vermouths are restocks.

The Willet rye is the new 2-year. I bought it without realizing exactly what it was, too excited to have found a stash of Willet at a local BevMo. It's the 4-year I was on the hunt for at the time. The 2-year, recognizable by its foil seal (no wax), is a new release and the first Willet-distilled rye in years (they restarted their distillery in 2012). It's really good on its own - I like it better than the 5-yr but not as much as the 4-yr.

I was going to experiment with sherry-based aperitif-style cocktails and dry sherry proved surprisingly hard to find. I am not sure what this one is supposed to be (dry sack sherry - $20 on sale for $16 at BevMo). It's not very good, too sweet. I made a cocktail with it but did not dare serve it to my friends. I need to find something else; this one will be used to cook clams or something like that.

Stone Bastard in the Rye is their Arrogant Bastard American strong ale aged in Templeton rye barrels.

Unapologetic IPA is double IPA made by Stone in collaboration with Beachwood and Heretic that uses a bunch of experimental hops. More info on the Stone blog.

Habitus is a rye IPA made by Hess in San Diego.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

Does buying on-line count here? Being new to cocktails I've enjoyed reading this section over the past few weeks, there is so much here to learn. Our cocktail repertoire is minuscule but we really want to make our next experiment the Aviation. With that in mind I've been looking for the ingredients and I came across a website selling half bottles of Benoit Serres liqueur a la Violette for just over 10€. Post and packing to the UK isn't cheap but given the price and availability this was still a bargain for us.

It looks as though they send out all over the world. If anyone else is interested here's a link.

http://www.saveurs-ovalie.fr/lang-en/violette-de-toulouse/87-liqueur-a-la-violette-35cl.html

Deeply jealous of the last page or so of purchases. eGullet knows how to buy liquor.

• Like 4

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I have a bottle of Tanq Old Tom on the way (from K&L).

Here is the bourbon & rye selection at one my local grocery stores, Bristol Farms in UTC. There is one more shelf above with higher end bottlings, plus a glass cabinet with even fancier stuff. It's always tempting to grab something - the liquor section is conveniently located by the cashier. Although prices tend to be high compared to other stores.

14915463167_e57f54c8af_z.jpg

I was shopping for sherry though, not whiskey. They had about 4 shelves worth, including the whole Lustau line, nicely arranged from driest to sweetest. I got the fino Jarana ("very dry").

• Like 1

Just received this shipment from K&L Wine. The Rittenhouse (new/ugly label) and High West Double Rye! are restocks. 

Tiki mugs flanking the set acquired at TikiO, with the Sven Kirsten official "Tiki Pop" mug, and a little Marquesan number by Tiki Diablo.

15143039095_556aa96a99_z.jpg
Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

I hope the Lost Spirits Cuban rum lives up to the label.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Just received this shipment from K&L Wine. The Rittenhouse (new/ugly label) and High West Double Rye! are restocks. 

Tiki mugs flanking the set acquired at TikiO, with the Sven Kirsten official "Tiki Pop" mug, and a little Marquesan number by Tiki Diablo.

I have to say I rather like the new "ugly" label on the Rittenhouse. It seems a bit more distinctive than the long standing drab black one and is a bit of a throw back to older label  from the 1930's. Hasn't hit the shelves locally yet that I know of. A bit sad that it apparently no longer carries the nod to the old Continental Distilling days in Philly though. At least best I can tell from the picture.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

The new label grew on me, and the price is stable (for now). 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

This was delivered for me:

10390067_757410877656378_907251728937814

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4nOHdUntyM

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

A bit sad that it apparently no longer carries the nod to the old Continental Distilling days in Philly though. At least best I can tell from the picture.

It's gone. On the back, the label reads "Distilled and bottled by Heaven Hill Distilleries"

Those Lost spirits Rums! Aaahhhh....

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Not exactly liquor* but I just noticed my supply of orgeat was getting critically low.  I quickly put in an order with feste for a resupply.  While on her site I noticed she is running a promotion for her new Yeoman Tonic...thought it might be interesting to others:

http://smallhandfoods.com/store/index.php/syrups/yeoman-tonic-syrup

Buying a bottle of the Yeoman Tonic (how could I resist?) gives free shipping on your total order up to six bottles.

Six bottles it was!  Not sure how I'll use the tonic though.

*feste's orgeat is made from brandy.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Same here...but your picture reminds me I forgot to include La Favorite.

Mostly restocks, notably Neisson Reserve Speciale that I was all but out of.  Three new kinds of sake.  The only new spirit was Diep9 Old Genever.  Which I intend to test out tonight.

Alas, living in America, Suze is not something I'm likely to buy at the liquor store today, nor any day.  Could you suggest a substitution?

What I am about to try with the new genever is a Hemingway/Baker death in the gulfstream.  Not sure I'll like it.