• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Haven't figured out what to do with the Barbancourt yet but I know some of you lot mention it from time to time, so something will reveal itself.

My opinion is that less is more. I don't mix anything more complicated than a 'ti punch with it so it can shine.

Done. That's tonight's drink sorted.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Haven't figured out what to do with the Barbancourt yet but I know some of you lot mention it from time to time, so something will reveal itself.

My opinion is that less is more. I don't mix anything more complicated than a 'ti punch with it so it can shine.

Let us know what you think.

ETA: you inspired me to have one last night. I used agave syrup which worked well but even with some water dilution it ended up at the bottom. The solution was of course more rum.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Let us know what you think.

ETA: you inspired me to have one last night. I used agave syrup which worked well but even with some water dilution it ended up at the bottom. The solution was of course more rum.

The solution to most things is more rum. That may now be my Life Rule # 5.

The 'Ti Punch was great and really did showcase the rum. One recipe I looked at mentioned Golden Syrup was the same as the 'cane syrup' normally called for, so I used the closest thing I had - treacle. No problem at all; a good swish of the glass partway through helped stop the layers separating out.

• Like 1

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

The solution to most things is more rum. That may now be my Life Rule # 5.

I bought my first bottle of Wray & Nephew Overproof today.

Welcome to the dark white side :biggrin:

• Like 1

I bought my first bottle of Wray & Nephew Overproof today.

Ah, Jo, now you're in trouble. You can never go back, you realise?

• Like 1

My eG Foodblog

The 2013 William Larue Weller and George T. Stagg showed up on my doorstep while I was out of the country (grabbed replacement bottles of Elixir Vegetal and Nikka from the Barrel on the trip, in addition to much wine). No time for detailed tasting notes at the moment, but will observe that for the first time ever the Weller (136.2) is higher test than the Stagg (128.2), and, that said, it (the WLW) is still not at all hard to sip straight.

Edited by KD1191 (log)
  • Like 3

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Showoff.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Showoff.

Um, pretty sure posting on a thread about what you've recently purchased is supposed to be the very definition of conspicuous consumption. :wink:

At least I didn't include the picture. But, if I've erred, then I do repent and am prepared to offer nips from the GTS library as penance. People will have to cross the Hudson to get them, which will surely keep demand in check.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

That might be worth braving the frightening wilderness that exists (I assume) beyond these fair boroughs.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I didn't purchase it, but I did sample Combier's Kummel liqueur, and I've got to say that not only is it the only palatable commercially made kummel I've tried, it's downright delicious, with a complex cumin flavor and a subtle fennel-y aftertaste. Pricey, but probably worth it if you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

I didn't purchase it, but I did sample Combier's Kummel liqueur, and I've got to say that not only is it the only palatable commercially made kummel I've tried, it's downright delicious, with a complex cumin flavor and a subtle fennel-y aftertaste. Pricey, but probably worth it if you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own.

Is it much better than Mentzendorff, also made by Combier?

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

An assortment of beers, including a few interesting saisons, from Bottlecraft in North Park.

10636640364_9a49b279e9_z.jpg

Also a little souvenir from London, which I have yet to open. I read that Sipsmith was now available at Bar Keeper in Silverlake/LA.

10746176263_b3c55fd164_z.jpg

• Like 1

PB160002.JPG

Sorry for the lousy photo but you get the idea. Mostly restocks from Dan Murphy. They no longer carry the off-brand Fernet I've been using so I had to spring for the real Branca. The Mackensey rye I bought in upstate NY is pretty unique and doesn't work in many drinks so I figured I'd stock up on WT 101 rye, The Aperol I use mainly in an Aperolitini - apparently an Archangel from the PDT book, without messing with the cuke and I usually use a dash of cardamon bitters.

The cane syrup is new to me - apropos to the Barbancourt Ti Punch discussion up above. Figure it's time to try it with the proper syrup. Note that it is not at all like treacle.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Note that it is not at all like treacle.

It's certainly a different colour!

A new bottle of Wray & Nephew for me. The old one is about to be killed by making a new batch of falernum.

My eG Foodblog

Cocchi Americano, Herbsaint, Suze and a small bottle of Amaro Sibilla. I've tasted the amaro but never owned it: it's hard to find in Australia. The other three are all new to me. Time to knock together a White Negroni, I guess.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Ilegal!!! Bols ZO!! the stuff of dreams!

In the last 24 hours I've picked up a bottle of 190 proof Everclear for homemade bitters and tinctures, and a very reasonably priced 8 year old Gordon and MacPhail bottling of Highland Park.

Not from the bottleo but from the furniture store. A furniture store that, I guess, kind of is a liquor store given it also sells aquavit (note the little sampler pack of aquavit and schapps).

DSC_0009_zps5f19bc58.jpg

This replaces a trestle table that was starting to sag and a cupboard thingy that belongs to the landlord or previous tenant or whoever. These are much more stable and allow me to get a little autistic in sorting shit out. Amari with amari. Gin near but not in the same space as genever.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between