• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Thank you, Kerry.  How about either Aveze or Salers, since they are not hard to get?

Don't know the answer to that - Suze is the only one I've had (we can get it in Quebec quite easily).  I saw a bottle of Salers one trip to the states - but I was already over my limit for what I could bring back.

Thank you, Kerry.  How about either Aveze or Salers, since they are not hard to get?

I think both are a little lighter than Suze which has a prominent bitter finish to me, although I know some bartenders who think Salers is similar and maybe even more bitter than Suze. All palates are different! Then again the US bottling of Suze is supposedly slightly different than Suze in Europe (definitely a slightly different proof. 30pf in Europe while the Suze Saveur d’Autrefois that is imported here is 40pf. Don't have the European Suze so can't say with certainty how different it is. So not sure how either of those might work as a substitute.

What part of Jersey are you in? The imported Suze is pretty common here in Atlanta so I would be surprised if you couldn't find it reasonably near you. NY has it and I would think Philly would certainly seem likely to have it. DUNY carries it (although they currently appear to be out of stock) and I would guess they would ship to NJ.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

For us today: Punt e Mes, maraschino liqueur and Appleton 12 - all replacing dwindling supplies. Would have got Cynar too, but my favourite place has been out for two weeks. Something may have to be done.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Appleton 12, you say?

image.jpg

[Host's note: this topic has become too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 3

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd