• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Finally decided to see what Hassouni's thing for WNOP was all about, bought a pint.  Had to teach tonight, so I couldn't do a cocktail, but it went sort of like this:  I took a small shot, got the rocket fuel comparisons right away, and then this burnt caramel flavor memory kept popping into my head for the rest of the evening, along with a voice from the base of my brain saying, "yeah, it was raw, can we try that again?"  Daiquiri tomorrow.

Best. Rocket fuel. Ever.

Hassouni, can you give me a few uses for WNOP besides on the rocks? I bought a bottle and am having a hard time finding anything it works with.

Edited by mhdousa (log)

I love WNOP when paired with other strong components, as otherwise I lose subtler favors. Green Chartreuse is a good bet as the Bikini Atoll http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/10/bikini-atoll.html or the Nuclear Daiquiri http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/04/nuclear-daiquiri.html I also really enjoyed it mixed with Ting soda, which is, apparently, a popular drink in Jamaica.

• Like 1

The Finger Lakes Seneca Drums gin is very juniper-forward, almost piney. I rather like the McKenzie rye for mixing. It is super spicy, which make is stand up in drinks. It is a bit much for sipping neat, at least for me.

And I agree -- the distillery is a fun place to visit. They have some interesting eau and liqueurs too.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Annoying indeed.

Also impatiently waiting for the Tanqueray Old Tom to finally show up!

I have moved away a bit from gin cocktails of late but it is summertime and if I can find this bottle it might be just the thing to put me back into the mood!

As to recent acquisitions I came upon this interesting little novelty perched on a shelf for the last 4 years or so and after getting a bit of a discount I decided to bring it home.

Bunnahabhain Murray McDavid.JPG

A Murray McDavid bottling of a moderately peated (38ppm) Bunnahabhain finished in Chateau Lafite casks. Wine cask finishes can be hit or miss in my experience but this one seems to be a winner! The peat and the fruit really seem to be well balanced.

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Finally decided to see what Hassouni's thing for WNOP was all about, bought a pint.  Had to teach tonight, so I couldn't do a cocktail, but it went sort of like this:  I took a small shot, got the rocket fuel comparisons right away, and then this burnt caramel flavor memory kept popping into my head for the rest of the evening, along with a voice from the base of my brain saying, "yeah, it was raw, can we try that again?"  Daiquiri tomorrow.

I have a fondness for W&N in mai tais, one of which I just poured in my lap trying to find the straw.  Half W&N, half La Favorite.

What's a cocktail?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Well, not so much bought as acquired from friends living in Tanzania who were back visiting for a couple of weeks.

Konyagi from Tanzania, known as "The Spirit of the Nation".

Konyagi Tanzania 3.jpg

Konyagi Tanzania 2.jpgKonyagi Tanzania 1.jpg

Apparently a molasses based "spirit" with citrus and spice flavorings that allegedly goes down "smooooth".

A good bit of info on the back label but unfortunately all in another language (Swahili perhaps?). Also have seen references to the spirit as "Tears of a Lion". Hmm, at 70 proof that seems possible since there isn't much alcohol in it!

So a liqueur of some sort might be the most accurate category for it. Apparently a Dawa cocktail (Swahili for "medicine" I am told, two "shots" of Konyagi with fresh sqeezed lime juice, crushed ice, honey, brown sugar and a dash of tonic) is one way to consume this curious beverage.

That doesn't sound so bad but I think I will have to start with a bit of it neat, purely for scientific purposes of course!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

One of the advantages of living not-quite Back of Beyond. I could still up old WT 101 rye and also grabbed a bottle of 1800 Anejo Tequila. I'm not super impressed with the tequila although really like their reposado.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

DSCN3056.jpg

Pineau des Charentes - notice they have changed the bottle.  Hoping the Luxardo Apricot is a good replacement for Apry.  I'd never seen the Plantation before - looking forward to giving it a try.

It has been a couple weeks, but I forgot to mention the special cuvée of Chartreuse épiscopale I bought recently. It's the 2013 edition created for les Fous de Chartreuse de Paris, an appreciation society. They frequently commission a blend of aged green and yellow, but the ratio tends to vary from year to year...this edition is heavier on the green, somewhere around 3 to 1, I believe. It's bottled at 88 proof, and very sippable. A lot of the flavor and aromatics of a Green VEP, but quite a bit less heat while not being a syrupy as Yellow VEP can get.

Brqu4ySIQAAIx0a.jpg

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Costco run. In San Diego they have a good selection of local beers; this is just a small sampling.

Lost Abbey Witch's Wit (Belgian-style witbier), Stone w00tstout 2.0 (Imperial stout) which was just released, Stone Enjoy by 08.16.14 IPA which is now available in the UK and in Japan, Alesmith YuleSmith (Summer) (double IPA), Port Brewing Shark Attack (double red ale).

And it's impossible to pass up a $15 1.75 L bottle of Beefeater.

14704692835_e39921b3f8_z.jpg

• Like 2

Costco run. In San Diego they have a good selection of local beers; this is just a small sampling.

Stone w00tstout 2.0 (Imperial stout) which was just released,

Stone truly sux! Primarily because the W00tstout apparently is being limited to release In Kentucky and Cali only.

I think I might have to start a boycott... :angry:

~tanstaafl2

The previous edition was available in many states, including yours, so surely it's just a matter of time?

One can only hope! So far no indication they are going beyond the two states they are in now.

I still have a couple from last year that I put on the shelf to age a bit.

~tanstaafl2

BtqVguXIQAELJZ0.jpg

Well, I didn't buy it, and it was actually purchased in the fall of 2012, but this finally landed on my bar this past Friday (had to be hand delivered by the purchaser and various events conspired to prevent that for close to two years).

Everything I thought about it back here is true. It has a bold rye flavor. In fact, those used to LDI/MGP might be put off by how much this actually tastes like the grain. The berry notes (raspberry, strawberry) are clear as day, as is a chocolate undertone. The finish is remarkably elegant for something that only spent two years in the barrel.

Todd is truly dedicated to his craft, and this bottle absolutely shows it.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 2 weeks later...

A thoughtful friend/mule brought me back a bottle of the newish Teeling Single Grain whiskey from Ireland (along with a back up bottle of the delightful if spendy Teeling 21yo single malt sauternes cask finish). Cooley sourced whiskey, as is likely most if not all of the Teeling whiskey for the near term, that would have been Greenore were it not diverted to Teeling I suspect. I am a fan of the Greenore's, especially the older ones as the 8yo is a bit simple and one dimensional. No age statement on this one but the kicker with this one is a finish in California wine casks (Cabernet by report).

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2013/11/the-teeling-whiskey-company-goes-with-the-grain-unique-bottling-of-irish-single-grain-whiskey-is-launched-irish-whiskey-news/

Teeling Single grain 1.JPGTeeling Single grain 2.JPG

The slightly reddish tint especially in the second picture is not (just) the relatively poor lighting from my camera phone! Planned to give it a test run but the little trivialities of life got in the way this weekend. But it is at the top of the list for a road test!

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Happy August to me!

Had been looking to pick up a few things and the recent rum discussion inspired me to fill out a box and place the order!

DUNY order Aug 14.JPG

The two Samaroli's are rums acquired in the Caribbean but aged in Scotland. The 1995 Demara is a 16yo single still product from the Versailles single wooden pot still but hasn't been colored and gussied up with sugar like the El Dorado's are. Overly pricey but what the hell. The Caribbean 2003 rum is in fact traveling incognito because it is 7-8yo Cuban rum as was noted.

Whisky included an oddity from Austria finished in Austrian wine barrels from Hans Reisetbauer. Single malt aged for 7 years. A complete impulse buy so no idea what I am getting. The other two are Glendalough poitins. A bit of an oddity for poitin, these are made with malt and sugar beets and then "matured in virigin Irish oak" for a short but unspecified period of time. The clear one is "Mountain Strength" at 120 proof while the amber bottle is the basic poitin that is further aged in sherry casks. Hmm.

• Like 1

~tanstaafl2

The 1995 Demara is a 16yo single still product from the Versailles single wooden pot still

Other than the aging in Scotland, that's basically identical to my 16 year Berry Bros' Demerara (also from the Versailles wooden pot still)