• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Not terribly exciting, I got Plymouth GIn, Luxardo Maraschino and Campari. BUT the gin and maraschino were from the BCLDB, not the private liquor store, so therefore $8-10 cheaper. I think they'd arrived in the last couple weeks. Just thought I'd pass that along for anyone else in BC.

The Riviera. Just sayin'.

Also a good candidate for this month's MxMo.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Bought a bottle of Luxardo Aperitivo because, well, it's bitter and I've never seen nor tasted it. Similar to Aperol, which perhaps I should guessed from the name, much like Bitter is similar to Campari. I mixed it 50/50 with gin and balanced with lime. Nice enough. I will a/b compare with Aperol, but I don't see much reason to stock both.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A post in the Single Malt section reminded me of a couple of recent additions including a barrel pick from Smooth Ambler that I had a small hand in selecting just arrived in the store.

Old Scout 2.JPG

Old Scout 3.JPG

A new "Devil's Batch" is born!

Also a new American made single malt that has been getting some positive reviews called Westland Distillery which released a couple of single cask special releases. The Cask 29 is the one I was able to get. A lightly peated whisky aged in full sized used cooperage for about 29 months. Young malt but young peated whisky can be very drinkable as Kilchoman has shown. Hope to crack it open tomorrow.

• Like 3

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Got my favorite kind of whisky today as a friend brought home a Nikka Whisky from the Barrel as a gift from London. No better friends than that!

This is typically unavailable in the US because it is packaged in a 500ml bottle which generally isn't permitted for spirits in the US for some no doubt idiotic reason. Rather like the prohibition on 700ml bottles which keeps so many interesting things out of the US.

Nikka SB 1.JPGNikka SB 2.JPG

This, along with the Westland American Single Malt (finally found the picture)

Westland Cask 29.JPG

And the Old Scout mentioned above along with several others (like the new Four Roses 2014 Limited Edition single barrel and a gift shop OESK 11yo selection I happen to have on hand) will almost certainly find their way into tomorrows tasting session. 

Four Roses SBLE 2014 1.JPGFour Roses SBLE 2014 3.JPG

Should be fun!

Hope I remember some of it...

:cool:

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)
  • Like 3

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Hassouni, I admire BB&R's URL.  (Even if the proof is a little low.)  If I ever see their rum I want to try it.  Today was mostly restocks for me, but I have a few new things to try:

La Favorite Blanc...in a daiquiri at the moment.  Nice funk.  And none of this syrupy Difford's ratio stuff.

Neisson Reserve Speciale, such a pretty color, but waiting for another evening.

Tequila Ocho 2013 Plata.  Looks interesting but apparently I am not old enough to view their website.  However I'm about to go test in a margarita.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

My friend was in Brazil for the first round of the World Cup (lucky!!) and brought me back this:

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9317.jpg

Apparently pot distilled, 38% (meh) and 670ml (very weird). This stuff is RIDICULOUS - it gives La Favorite a run for the money re: agricole-type funk, and, is vastly better than the Fazenda Soledade that my friend got for himself. The effect it has in a caipirinha is like using Wray & Nephew for a daiquiri. Excellent!

• Like 1

Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve.

Recently released into the main portfolio - £42.00

I must say, in Britain this has to be the best value for money whisk/ey release in ages.

Lots of toasty spice and red berry notes. I prefer it hands down over the 12 which is £10 more!

Get one before it goes up.

I'm eyeing up the Hakushu now.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve.

Recently released into the main portfolio - £42.00

I must say, in Britain this has to be the best value for money whisk/ey release in ages.

Lots of toasty spice and red berry notes. I prefer it hands down over the 12 which is £10 more!

Get one before it goes up.

I'm eyeing up the Hakushu now.

Looks like we are shut out for the moment in the US. Which is annoying since they own Beam! Probably the damned 700/750 ml issue again.

~tanstaafl2

Finally decided to see what Hassouni's thing for WNOP was all about, bought a pint.  Had to teach tonight, so I couldn't do a cocktail, but it went sort of like this:  I took a small shot, got the rocket fuel comparisons right away, and then this burnt caramel flavor memory kept popping into my head for the rest of the evening, along with a voice from the base of my brain saying, "yeah, it was raw, can we try that again?"  Daiquiri tomorrow.

• Like 2

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban