• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Turned to Zuid-Afrika today, hey. Purchased some 10 year old KWV brandy. The guy recommended it over the 15 and 20 year old expressions in terms of bang for buck and not being overly 'smooth'. I'm keen to experiment with this and the Boer bitters I'm currently infusing.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

From a few nights ago for my pop up, I have a bit leftover:

Camarena reposado tequila (great value)

Pisco Alto del Carmen reservado (even better value - seriously, this stuff is a steal!)

My friend got back from Boriken today and got me some Palo Viejo blanco and some Barrilito Tres Estrellas. Huzzah!

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

hamilton rum.JPG

This week brought a few recent additions. Two bottles from the Ministry of RUm Collection - a 9 yr cask strength and 8 year at 46%. The 9 yr tastes wonderful, the 8 yr so far is rather meh.

Also added Clear Creek apple brandy, Benedictin and Clement VSOP. IMG_20131204_154657.jpg

attachicon.gifhamilton rum.JPG

This week brought a few recent additions. Two bottles from the Ministry of RUm Collection - a 9 yr cask strength and 8 year at 46%. The 9 yr tastes wonderful, the 8 yr so far is rather meh.

Also added Clear Creek apple brandy, Benedictin and Clement VSOP. attachicon.gifIMG_20131204_154657.jpg

Would love to try those cask strength St. Lucia rums but it is not local as best I can tell and my first internet order got cancelled because the store ran out of them. Have had no luck since.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Two bottles of Noilly Prat Original Dry, which seems to be being replaced by the Extra Dry everywhere. I have not tried the old/new Extra Dry, but loosing easy access to the Original Dry makes me nervous. Also a bottle of the much maligned Jagermeister, which I find I rather enjoy around Christmas.

Two bottles of Noilly Prat Original Dry, which seems to be being replaced by the Extra Dry everywhere. I have not tried the old/new Extra Dry, but loosing easy access to the Original Dry makes me nervous.

It's not replaced. Both are available now.

Two bottles of Noilly Prat Original Dry, which seems to be being replaced by the Extra Dry everywhere. I have not tried the old/new Extra Dry, but loosing easy access to the Original Dry makes me nervous.

Not in America, but in the only two stores that sold Noilly Prat in my area. Both places have moved exclusively to the Extra Dry.

[Moderator note: This topic became too large for our servers to handle, so we've divided it up; the earlier part of the discussion is here: What did you buy at the liquor store today?]

Templeton. Now that's a delicious rye. Heavy on the oak. Wonder what it'd be like in one of those New York Sazeracs: equal parts cognac and rye.

That sounds wonderful... Added to my to-do cocktail list.

Templeton is rye from what used to be the LDI and is now MGPI distillery in Lawrenceburg, Indiana who makes a ton of different distilled spirits that they sell to others for use in their own brand. Essentially the same stuff is also found in Bulleit and Redemption rye and quite possible several others. High West uses LDI rye in some of their blends.

Templeton, Bulleit and Redemption don't make any of it themselves, despite what they may claim in their marketing. It is not a bad rye mind you but between the three I would be inclined to buy the one that has the best price. My experience is that it is usually not Templeton.

The cream of the LDI crop, in my opinion, is Willett. Not only do they seem to pick the best barrels (for my taste), but they also bottle at barrel proof. I just don't see any sense in paying for the water that's in Templeton. Willett has finally laid down some of their own output, and based on what I've experienced of their palate, I'm looking forward to tasting it in a few years.

Also, the new George Dickel Rye is also LDI juice, which is charcoal filtered.

I have to agree about the Willett. Absolutely fantastic whiskey.

I bought Kahlua and Baileys. I love them in my desserts as well.

Not in America, but in the only two stores that sold Noilly Prat in my area. Both places have moved exclusively to the Extra Dry.
That's really too bad. It's good to have both options. The "new" extra dry is probably my favorite of the two for martinis. The dry is excellent on the rocks.

Recent purchases: family size Buffalo Trace bourbon (restock), a couple of High West items that I am excited to try (Son of Bourye and Double Rye), a bottle of yellow Chartreuse that was missing in my collection, and Krogstad aquavit for a Norwegian themed party I've been invited to.

11347890103_306590977f_z.jpg

That's really too bad. It's good to have both options. The "new" extra dry is probably my favorite of the two for martinis. The dry is excellent on the rocks.

Recent purchases: family size Buffalo Trace bourbon (restock), a couple of High West items that I am excited to try (Son of Bourye and Double Rye), a bottle of yellow Chartreuse that was missing in my collection, and Krogstad aquavit for a Norwegian themed party I've been invited to.

11347890103_306590977f_z.jpg

hehehehe "family size"

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Bought a big ol' bottle of Tuaca. It's actually been cold down here in Houston, and for me, that means Hot Apple Pie:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/cocktailrecipes/r/hot_apple_pie.htm

Nothing better!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Will you be my mommy?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Will you be my mommy?

That might be more of a commitment than I can handle at this time, but in any case, you are welcome to my stash if you are ever in San Diego.
  • Like 1

Popped into Union Square Wines last night, as it was on my way, and walked out with a bottle of 6yr Sazarac Rye & 12yr Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (the 2nd release, 68.5% ABV), which was miraculously sitting on the shelf next to the regular EC12. One will be a Christmas gift, and the other will be for me. Which will be which comes down to how generous I'm feeling when I pack to head back to the Midwest next week.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour