• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

I went out for a bottle of plonk--ideally a small one--and some cognac to replace my vanquished X.O. I came back with

IMG_0789_zpsb29e1f55.jpg

The gin, a local (well, local-ish--in the same sense something from Austin, Texas is a 'local' product for someone from New York), won out over a number of options presented to me: two of Tanqueray's expressions (Rangpur and Malacca), a couple of other artisanal gins and some genever. The cognac is the V.S. version of one I'd had in X.O. form before. The cider and perry are local (in the technically correct sense of the word). The kummel is essentially a blind buy: I've only had kummel in an overpriced cocktail and liked the flavour profile enough to want to try the one or two kummel-based cocktails in beta cocktails. The wine is actually what I set out to buy.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

The bottle on the right. So it looks like they brought back the old Noilly Prat dry vermouth formula (now known as "extra dry"), but not the bottle design.

9242751739_0b937210c1_z.jpg

Also I went to K&L Wines in Hollywood and managed to only buy these two items- a local souvenir and a restock. Crazy, I know, but this is just an excuse to go back soon .

9241940827_1785b5f6b4_z.jpg

They had a nice selection of bitters right by the entrance below some very expensive wines.

9244714546_f217f83e74_z.jpg

The rum selection was not bad either. Good to know that I don't need to fly to Martinique to replace my rhum Neisson.

9244715504_2fedf245d5_z.jpg

Apéritifs and a few other interesting things.

9241934301_3024784d28_z.jpg

9241934301_3024784d28_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have been exploring the world of vins de liqueurs lately (to the extent one can in the relative buccolic spirits backwater that is Atlanta) and have managed to come across three different brands of Pineau des Charentes, Dupont Pommeau de Normandie, Vilmart Ratafia de Champagne and Montborgeau Macvin du Jura.

Still looking for a way to acquire my first rinquinquin from the Rhône region, cartagène from the Languedoc region or Floc de Gascogne from the Armagac region (there is one brand at Astor I may eventually try if I can't find it locally). No doubt there are others!

But I did learn of this little PdC beauty from another blog and was able to get a few bottles of it shipped to me from Astor!

Navarre PdC vieux.JPG

Navarre Pineau des Charentes Vieux blended with 6 year old cognac rather than more typically newly produced cognac and then aged for 30 years.

Fabulous stuff and just right for my admittedly massive sweet tooth but full of subtlety and character as well!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I wish to advise ... I am no longer a virgin:

Tequila.jpg

Although we've been very happy exploring gins, rums, Scotches and various bitter delights like Génépy, Cynar and various other obscurities that look interesting at our local alcohol emporium, tequila was one spirit Wifey and I had never brought ourselves to play with. The only reason, probably, was an extremely vile Margarita in a bar in Auckland several years ago.

Realising the foolishness of allowing that one experience to deter us for life, and noting that many of you eGulleters seem pretty keen on your cactus juice, we have of late been getting our favourite cocktail bar, the wonderful Hawthorn Lounge (about which I must write at some length sometime) to ease us in. They began with a tequila Old Fashioned, similar to the one mentioned over here by FrogPrincesse. And it really didn't take much more than that. It was delicious.

We've subsequently had another one (on another visit), plus a couple of more 'grown up' somethings which escape me for the moment, but here's the thing - they've all tasted great! So on today's visit to the aforementioned booze emporium, we finally did it. Virgins no more. Salut!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Earlier this week, a bottle of Yellow Chartreuse from 1999. It was the last on the shelf for the very 20th century price of $30.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

DSCN1646.jpg

Hit the LCBO in Sudbury, Ontario today - stocked up on a few odds and ends. The genever is discontinued so it seemed sensible to pick up a couple and the aquavit is catch as catch can. The Soju is a Korean spirit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of Dolin Genepy des Alpes yesterday on a bit of a whim. After trying it neat and perhaps with a bit of soda I will see how it works as an option in chartreuse cocktails like the Last Word.

Genepy.JPG

Also picked up a bottle of 123 Diablito tequila but I don't think that will see much time in cocktails!

Diablito.JPG

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

For my first post in this thread, this afternoon I purchased a new (new for me and I think new for most folks) brand of rum, Busted Barrel, from

http://www.jerseyartisandistilling.com

I've just had a taste of the Busted Barrel bottle and I think it's pretty good. However I am no rum expert. When I say "new", what I bought is labeled batch 2, bottle 510.

In addition I came home with a bottle of Barbancourt 5 star, a can of Coco Lopez, and a pineapple which was on sale. (Note the pineapple did not come from the same establishment, yet, in my opinion, the pineapple is more than tangentially relevant to this topic.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Braulio Amaro Alpino

Haven't played with it much, but the initial sip is a lovely, mild, wine-based amaro. I imagine it will make a great Black Manhattan.

Hideous Flash Italian Website

I would have copies some text and run it through google translate but, ya know, Flash.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

tanstaafl2,

I will be going to the Party Source this coming Friday and I was actually thinking of getting the Genepy even before I saw this post. Do you recommend it? Have you ever had Pages Verveine Velay Verte? I'm looking at that too. I'm intrigued by these alpine herbal liquers. Sure wish I could get Klosterliquere.

Picked up a bottle of Dolin Genepy des Alpes yesterday on a bit of a whim. After trying it neat and perhaps with a bit of soda I will see how it works as an option in chartreuse cocktails like the Last Word.

attachicon.gifGenepy.JPG

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

tanstaafl2,

I will be going to the Party Source this coming Friday and I was actually thinking of getting the Genepy even before I saw this post. Do you recommend it? Have you ever had Pages Verveine Velay Verte? I'm looking at that too. I'm intrigued by these alpine herbal liquers. Sure wish I could get Klosterliquere.

attachicon.gifGenepy.JPG

If you like chartreuse you would probably like it. I occasionally drink VEP as an aperitif so something like Chartreuse is OK by me. Not quite as intense to me but has potential based on a small taste or two.

I have never had Verveine Velay Verte.

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

tanstaafl2,

Thanks. I got the Genepy and the Verveine Velay. I'm very pleased with both of them. They are definitely in the same vein as Chartreuse but different in their own ways. The Dolin is certianly sweeter than Chartreuse whereas the Pages is drier (and the same ABV as Chartruese). I have to tell you though that it took the Party Source guys about a half an hour to find it for me (probably because of all the renovations going on). It was not shelved and although knew they had it, they did not know where in the store it was (I had expected it to be in between the Chartruese and the Pages, but it was not there). I kept saying, "this guy on a message board posted that he just bought some here on August 24!"). I had three guys working on it until one finally managed to locate it.

Party Source haul from Friday (in photo, from l to r):

Cocchi Americano (x2)

Old Overholt

El Dorado 3yr

Damrak Amsterdam Gin

Lemon Hart 151

Rothman & Winter Apricot

Suze!!! (I can't believe they had this!)

Dolin Rouge

Martini Rosato

Melletti Amaro

Punt e Mes (x2)

Cinzano Bianco

Berentzen Pear

John D. Taylor Velvet Falernum

Angostura Orange Bitters

Royal Dock Navy Strength Gin

DeKuyper 03 Orange Liqueur

Q Tonic Water

Fentiman's Tonic Water

El Dorado 15 yr

Dolin Genepy des Alpes

Pages Verveine Velay Verte

Fever-Tree Tonic Water

Bitter Truth Orange Bitters

Balvenie Portwood 21 (mini)

2013-09-15_four.jpg

2013-09-15_all .jpg

Edited by brinza (log)
  • Like 1

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes