• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Nothing fancy, just a 1.75 L of Weller 12 year...neck & neck (with the Weller 107) for best value in bourbon, imo.

Wish they sold this in my state. The 107 is awesome and I always have a bottle open on my bar.

I picked up some Russell Henry London Dry Gin (from the Germain Robin people), but haven't cracked it open yet.

Bought the two bottles on the left (Picon, Clement canne bleue 2011) during a recent trip to France. The one on the right (terroir gin) after an epic tasting of St. George spirits.

8570813336_3141d052f9_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Frogprincesse -- what do you think of St. George's Terroir Gin? Their gins sound a bit busy with botanicals but I haven't had a chance to try them yet and was curious, especially the rye gin.

Brown Hornet - I only have good things to say about it. It delicious, even neat. Lots of botanicals (sage, fir) but they are not overpowering. Lance Winters, their master distiller, said that he was inspired by the smells he experienced during his hikes in Northern California. The Botanivore is more floral and has more citrus. The Dry Rye gin resembles a genever with more spice. I tried their three gins (there is a fourth, the Faultline, a limited release) and the Terroir was my pick.There is not a bad one in the bunch though.

Re-upped on the Doulin dry and splurged for Gran Classico bitters while buying a mixed case of wine (partly mixed, half of it was the vinho verde to which my wife is addicted, God help me).

I'm finding the GC eminently mixable, not just with the obvious (gin, rye), but with blanco tequila as well.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

@frogprincess: No Lillet on hand, but I happen to have Cocchi Americano open.

Cocchi Americano: Light straw color, apricot, pear, white wine, moderately sweet, not bitter initially, building bitterness after the swallow. Pleasant. Too sweet to drink neat without acid, but very pleasant and accessible for the bitter-minded.

Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion d'Or: Rusty tan/brown color, citrus and berry, not much wine, modestly sweet, more immediately bitter which lingers and evolves. I could drink it straight, but I'd probably rather it with a squeeze of lemon. More challenging / less accessible than Cocchi. Interesting and worth seeking out. Not very similar to Lillet (from memory -- haven't had a bottle in a while). Expensive ($33 in Boston).

And thanks for the St George gin reviews. I've been eyeing them. I'll try Terrior next I think.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I didn't actually buy anything, just thought I'd give a heads-up. I haven't seen it locally yet but Lemon Hart (80) is now stocked by the LCBO. I hope that eventually leads to them getting the 151. If Alberta can get it, Ontario should be able to as well.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's delicious. It's also very expensive. When I sampled it first I right away wanted to buy some. Could get it at a couple of plays but it was about $220 per bottle. Nice, yeah, but not $220 worth of nice.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

$220!!! In the States it is $33 per bottle So the whole case was about $190. Does that $220 reflect the impact of taxes in your neck of the wood or is something else going on. If it was easy to ship alcohol I would say we have a classic business opportunity.

And after a visit to Ace Beverage:

543108_888144414681_706108982_n.jpg

Vermouth galore (to test out on negronis, per the Ideal Negroni thread), Chartreuse after months of hesitating over the price, and real Curaçao, for when I feel Cointreau isn't appropriate.

Funny, I adopted a puppy with big paws almost 3 weeks ago!

Yeah, it was either a full litre at over $30, or that at a bit over 10....I figured I'd try it out before committing

$220!!! In the States it is $33 per bottle So the whole case was about $190. Does that $220 reflect the impact of taxes in your neck of the wood or is something else going on. If it was easy to ship alcohol I would say we have a classic business opportunity.

Tax. Stuff is just expensive here. Rittenhouse 100? Yeah, that's $80-90. Seen it a little cheaper elsewhere but, put it this way, if the price tag starts with a 7 you've found yourself a bargain. Go you. Wild Turkey's rye is more reasonably priced at $50something. Still yet to see the lower proof version of WT that eGulleteers have been moaning about, tho'. I guess it doesn't sell enough for us to have exhausted our supply of 101 yet.

As for shipping alcohol to/from Australia, the cost of postage for a bottle of, er, wine is obscene. I think US postage is only slightly cheaper than Australian Post. SeaMail is 'cheap' at about $40-50AUD/USD per bottle (once packed/padded/etc) and it's not like you're going to be sending anything made of glass by SeaMail, is it? To send a bottle of wine to the US it cost me something like $60 or $70. Small chance of a small quantity of alcohol being noticed, tho'. I mean, you can post wine--actual wine, I mean--wherever you like and no one cares. Well, below certain quantities, anyway. Friends and I have ordered from Whisky Exchange a number of times and only got picked up (and hit with duty by Customs) once. Parcels send privately have not been uncovered. Roll the dice, if you like.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I didn't buy anything, but I did pick up a dozen empty boxes from the liquor store yesterday...the logistics of moving a ~200 bottle bar across the country are daunting.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I didn't buy anything, but I did pick up a dozen empty boxes from the liquor store yesterday...the logistics of moving a ~200 bottle bar across the country are daunting.

Time for a party! A really, really big party...

I don't plan to be moving for a few years yet but that time is likely coming and I don't look forward to it.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Time for a party! A really, really big party...

I don't plan to be moving for a few years yet but that time is likely coming and I don't look forward to it.

Regarding moving your liquor library, see Matt Rowley's (mbrowley) handy little tip involving Teflon/plumber tape.

Funny, I adopted a puppy with big paws almost 3 weeks ago!

Yeah, it was either a full litre at over $30, or that at a bit over 10....I figured I'd try it out before committing

A bit over $10? It was $15 (I bought a few bottles there last week)!

Which, btw, is still way cheaper than here in NY at Astor where it is around $18.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Regarding moving your liquor library, see Matt Rowley's (mbrowley) handy little tip involving Teflon/plumber tape.

That is indeed a great tip and one I will try to remember.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

That is indeed a great tip and one I will try to remember.
I wonder if you could use this idea to help keep liqueur bottle caps from freezing up with sugar.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.